• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Simmer's Lotting Lab.

Started by Simmer2, December 11, 2015, 07:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simmer2

Quote from: vester on June 01, 2017, 03:38:21 AM
Quote from: Simmer2 on May 31, 2017, 10:10:34 PM
vester. Don't forget that I'm using Gmax therefore I cannot make model textures as good and detailed as using 3ds max.

The main texture work is not done in gmax or max, but photoshop or gimp, or just by pick the right texture for the job.

Turn down the nightlight to around 70 % of the current brightness.

Perhaps I did not phrase it right. I know Photoshop like the back of my hand, I create all my custom surfaces from scratch on Photoshop.
It is the rendering engine in 3ds max that is far superior than Gmax. There are many subtle aspects of textures that Gmax just cannot render right.
I cannot justify spending $1500 a year just to make free models  :D

I agree on toning down the night lighting and will re-render it tonight.

Thank you

Nick

PS Thanks praiodan :thumbsup:
________________________________________________________________________________

mattb325

Ahhh, gmax, I remember you well.

If you haven't already, take a look at these tutorials. They helped me immensely with getting to grips on the colour-shifts and lack of ray-tracing:

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=5229.msg165896#msg165896

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=5230.msg165897#msg165897

Simmer2

Thanks for the links Matt  :thumbsup:

This is just a showcase lot for what props I have ready so far for the container yard. All props including the massive warehouse are rendered in HD. Also the neon sign is a separate prop therefore the warehouse can be used for other industrial settings.

I'm thinking of making this lot fully modular thus giving you the option to expand to whatever size you wish.

Simmer2/Nick
________________________________________________________________________________

praiodan

Oh yes, we will be having so much fun with this stuff. Wonderful overview  :thumbsup:

Simcoug

Great looking props!  The idea of a modular set will appeal to many players since they can create their own vision with your pieces.  Keep up the good work  &apls

FrankU

Beautiful work, Nick!
Three remarks:
- the tyre marks are way too expressive in my opinion.
- a separate neon sign is good, maybe you make a family of signs?
- and a modular approach would be perfect!

Frank

Simmer2

Thank you Simcoug, praiodan and FrankU

Frank, I agree. That 50% transparency on the tire tracks was just a trial run. I could tone it down to 20%.
I already made 19 patterns and can keep going for even more choices. They are overlays by the way.
I'm just wondering if it something that is necessary to release. Maybe I should make a poll and find out?

Simmer2/Nick

Tyberius06

Hi Nick!
I'm spending my holidays right now far from my gaming stuff (Madrid-Valencia-Mallorca-Ibiza-Barcelona - a lot of inspiration I've got by the way what I'd like to use to my cities) so just a quick note. I'm using the basic maxis similiar overlays as you might noticed, but recently (since I've started playing with textures) start thinking a new set since the old one is quite limited, therefore anything what you can give us could be useful, but as Frank mentioned a little bit lighter version would be nice.
I really like this new project, more toys for me to my seaport expansions  &apls &apls :popcorn:

- Tibi/Tyberius06

By the way what is the status of your other projects? There was an in progress metro/underground/tube yard thingy with some warehouse like train garages.
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

Simmer2

Thanks Tibi.

The other projects are on hold for now. I'm in the middle of rebuilding my backyard (complete natural stone landscaping!)
It is a long and back breaking job but someone has to do it.  :'( Therefore I have had very little time to dedicate to lotting the SM2 Global Logistics project.

However, last night I fired up my batting machine and started this other project, which I have had in mind for months now. One wonders if I should continue to expand it for a later release. It is a medieval rampart complex complete with 16th century cannons and balls. This is just a small part of it.

Here is a pic of a render. This is definitively still WIP!

Simmer2/Nick

vester

Maybe you should look into Unwrapping.
It would just add that dot over the i.
You could make the stones goes around the corner proper.

vinlabsc3k

It's fantastic!!  :o &apls  :o &apls  :o &apls

A little tip: Make the retaining wall with the same texture to give the possibility to build on slope.
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

Getron

Sweet, looks like something from Pirate movie or from "Captain Horatio Hornblower"

:thumbsup:

Simcoug

War, huh, yeah
What is it good for
Absolutely ... making awesome SC4 models!  :bnn:

Kitsune

Quote from: Getron on June 14, 2017, 07:11:56 AM
Sweet, looks like something from Pirate movie or from "Captain Horatio Hornblower"

:thumbsup:

It reminds me of the forts of Port Royal.
~ NAM Team Member

Simmer2

Thank you, everyone!

Here are a few more new props. Next pack will be huge!
(this is just a place holder lot for showcase purpose)

Simmer2/Nick

Getron

Again a great creation.  &apls

The look so real   :thumbsup:

Possible to have also a blank oiltank as prop?

kelis

Quote from: Getron on June 20, 2017, 02:57:02 AM
Again a great creation.  &apls

The look so real   :thumbsup:

Possible to have also a blank oiltank as prop?

Yeah. I'm agree, Please make more variations, They looks pretty good  &apls &apls
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

Krasner

Texturing on the tanks is really good  :thumbsup: About the wall set, while modeling is perfect (to me), I may say that the stone texture has a few problems ; as the stones are quite big and have special shapes, that could easily feel repetitive. Also the "hole" is a risky point I think, as it doesn't appear to be modeled (maybe I'm simply wrong  ;)) : the depth feeling, quite nicely done here, may appear missed/flat in other points of view. I achieved this kind of illusion once, not on purpose to be honest  :D and I think it can't be told, but I think it's really a hard thing to make look good most of the time - not counting on good fortune like me  ::) It's easier to model it.
ANARCHIST !!

Simmer2

I'm glad you like them!

@Getron, by blank, do you mean no signage?

Next piece, oil loading platform. Still have a few details to add.

Simmer2

korver