• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Simmer's Lotting Lab.

Started by Simmer2, December 11, 2015, 07:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gugu3

Simmer2

Hello everyone.

I have an idea that I would like to implement as soon as I can. As anyone who follows me knows, I have now passed the 50 upload mark and things are getting redundant and confusing. Therefore I would like to hear your thoughts and suggestions on this plan of mine.

What I'm proposing is the creation of an "Essential" pack containing all the timed and or family collections that I have accumulated over the months/years. This pack will come with a Cleanitol scripts to be used with BSC Cleanitol TM http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=97. I'm sure everyone is familiar with that tool.
The script will remove all the old separate exemplars from all my lots so that just my Essential pack would be necessary to run my projects. Keep it all clean and tidy!

The idea here, is to avoid unnecessary re-creations of timed/family exemplars by me thus cutting my workload by quite a bit. As time progresses and I create new timed/families I would update the "Essential" pack to reflect the new changes. (say every 10-20 new files created)

Eventually I will use the same strategy to create props Megapacks thus cutting down on the amount of dependencies. (but that's for another time)

Thank you in advance for your input on the matter.

Nick
________________________________________________________________________________

Andreas

Sounds like a good idea, and that's what we were doing with the SFBT Essentials in a similar way. They contain all kinds of stuff that is used on virtually every SFBT lot (query UIs, query sounds, common props and textures), hence a single pack that is updated every now and then is a lot easier to maintain and cuts down the amount of multiple copies of files quite a bit.
Andreas

art128

I agree with Andreas, that's a good idea.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

fantozzi

Not quite shure, if I understood the proposal well, if you say you keep mega-prop-packs for later. Me, as a maybe 'secondary' lotter, if I download a prop pack to use it on a lot, I look inside if there is a static prop version (exemplar file), a timed prop or familiy, that fit my needs. Now if there isn't, I most probably won't go searching if somewhere else on the web already a timed version exists  - but do that exemplar from the model instead by myself.

So if you separate models/statc exemplars and their other timed exemplars/families from each other, I don't think this is something to keep overview for other lotters, especially when they come new to the game in one or two years.

If you don't intend so, but keeping models and different exemplar files relating on those models together in one pack - then I simply don't understand what the difference would be between an essential file and a mega-prop-pack.

Imho - static exemplar, timed exemplar and maybe family would stay best together as one download with the model they refer to.

Being different files, still the SFBT essentials is one single download of these elements belonging together. If they were spread out as separated downloads, they weren't really handy.

So that's what I didn't understand well, I think - the timed versions/families on one side and the static props/models on the other side being different downloads then? Or packed together in a single download?

Simmer2

Fantozzi

Let me clearer.
The Essential pack will NOT removed static exemplars from the prop packs. Almost all my lots include a separate .DAT where the timed/families resides.
The cleanitol script would removed just those and nothing else.

This is not for the creation of prop megapacks, that will come at a later date and it will have nothing to do with the Essential file. The Megapacks will collect any props that I have released with my lots in to 1 or more Megapack. Again, this is not what I'm proposing at the moment.

Nick
________________________________________________________________________________

Andreas

Quote from: fantozzi on February 26, 2018, 09:28:53 AM
Imho - static exemplar, timed exemplar and maybe family would stay best together as one download with the model they refer to.
That's something I'd agree to as well; not sure to which props said timed exemplars belong to, but ideally, such things should go into a prop pack where lotters can pick from a list of exemplar files that suit their needs easily.
Andreas

Tyberius06

I for one understand the reason of an ESSENTIAL with all the prop families and timed props/families. Well I like the idea, to put all the modified examplars (which means NOT JUST yours, but every modified file examplars based on other creators props) into an essential, and the pure modells and props would be in  separate in future discussed megapack(s). If someone is using your stuff, that one needs the ESSENTIAL anyway, and lotters can use the modifed props by you for their lots more easily with one (and of course the related modell dependencies) dependency. Of course f.e. with the timed props everyone can make ones own from the original models, but why the hassle if there are existing ones. Same with the prop families.

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

Simmer2

Its settled then. I will start the Essential pack process.

Here are several more True STR Sidings. Different overlays designs and of course more railcars variety to choose from. There will be 10 in total (In line with my other siding pack)
Also shown are a few more HD retaining walls. I have already made 12 different ones.

Simmer2

Tyberius06

Now I'm getting confused, I'm not sure which one is the better, the sidings or the walls with the different graffities and with JOKER!!!! :)
Well, I want them both! :D
I really like the variety on both projects! :)
Thanks!

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

feyss

Will you release the containers 'parking' too?

Simmer2

Quote from: feyss on February 28, 2018, 06:57:19 AM
Will you release the containers 'parking' too?

Eventually, perhaps I will make it the next project to finish.

I see not much interest, but hey 8 down 2 to go. I'm actually making lots more railcar models to go with the sidings as I go.

Simmer2

fantozzi

Ah, sorry, Simmer2 - I didn't even say thank you, you took the time to clarify.

Getron

Hi Simmer, your ingame pictures look real sweet.  :thumbsup:

jaredh

Nice walls.

The train stuff is amazing.

mrbisonm

Holy Smoke, where are all these wagons and trains drom? They're gorgious!!! Wow, all these lots/Bats will hit us strongly once uploaded.
Great Job, Simmer2, you're my new Hero now!

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

b22rian

QuoteGreat Job, Simmer2, you're my new Hero now!

I would agree here. he is one of my heroes as well..  :thumbsup:
And one of the biggest reasons why this community is still going this strong after 15 years .. due to the recent great work he has done ..  &apls

Badsim

And it is so hard to become an hero ...  ;) Indeed your little shop of magnificent industrial horrors tends to become a supermarket , you're undoubtedly tireless , a new Jestarr in a way  ;D ... ( have had that thought seeing him logged in several times these last days  $%#Ninj2 )  .

Great work ! &apls &apls &apls

C.

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

brick_mortimer

Cool STR sidings!
Could you show them 'in the nude' i.e. without trains?
Not that the trains aren't good, they're fabulous, and don't get me started on the wall with the graffiti  &apls
Adding graffiti makes them more realistic, just like your soundwalls :thumbsup:
Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest
Me no coffee function without so good

Simmer2

Thank you!!! It means a "lot" (pun intended)  :D

Brick mortimer I would have to remove all the props in order to show you. When I have time I will show you the original uncut PSD's.

Drive by rusty pic dump.....SM2 Abandoned Train Depot is where those lost deliveries and forgotten dreams end up. You will find some burned out tankers too  ;D
There is even a scrap metal handling facility across the street (how convenient)
Everything is Work In Progress.

Simmer2