• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

PaulvMontfort Bridges

Started by PaulvMontfort, September 21, 2007, 02:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulvMontfort

I made this recreation of a railroad bridge in the south of France not to far north of the Millau Viaduct. It was built by Gustav Eiffel. I was wondering if it is possible to mod it for use in Simcity. There's one problem though. The deck is wide enough for only one railway track. The real one is single track as well. Is it possible to have a bridge with a single track in Simcity? There might be some other issues as well.

Anyway, here are some pics.

Xiziz

I sure hope its possible, that Viaduct looks really nice! id love to see it ingame ^__^

Kitsune

Well the start piece would have to blend the two tracks into one, but can one track be transit enabled for two way traffic, I think that would be the issue.
~ NAM Team Member

Shadow Assassin

It could probably be widened to two tracks, which is probably an easy thing to do?
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

PaulvMontfort

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on September 21, 2007, 06:58:51 PM
It could probably be widened to two tracks, which is probably an easy thing to do?

I did thought about that, but I really don't want to ruin the esthetics of the bridge... :P

Tarkus

This is a very nice bridge you have here, PaulvMontfort. :thumbsup:

Regarding the issues with the Rail network, with all this puzzle drag technology that we've been messing around with for the NAM, it's definitely possible that we could use it to create a "new" single-track railroad network.  The idea has been tossed around some already.  This would be the perfect excuse to do it :D (though we would need a texture artist).

-Alex (Tarkus)

Yoman

Ive known about this bridge forever, kind of the prototype for Gustav Eiffel's work with iron on the Effiel tower. And you've modeled it spot on, very impressive :)

threestooges

Very impressive and detailed work. As far as I am aware, single track working rail is not a function thing yet (if in fact anyone is working on it). However, Expanding that to two tracks wouldn't necessarily be all that bad, and would be a great addition to the game. How long did that take you to model anyway?

Xiziz

im guessing it should be able to mod the paths with a "stoplight" that visually stops trains from running across in one direction while a train is traveling the other and vice versa.
Though ive never even touched the path things, so i dont really know if its possible

jeronij

Hello Paul, this is a very detailed and nice model. It would be great to see it in the game  :thumbsup:

However, SC4 is very strict when it comes to transit networks and sizes  ::)

The bridge should be created with 16x16 meters pieces in mind. Every section of the bridge must be 16 meters long, or a multiple of this number, 32, 48 ... and 16 meters width.
The bridge should be changed into a double railroadbridge to have a chance to see it in the game. Puzzle pieces and probably something more would be necessary... adn at least in theBridge Engineering Departement there is no such a capability  ::)
I dont know if these changes are posible technically ( specilly due to the real bridge model dimensions which are unknown ) and I shoud have to have a look to the model to see if it would be possible ( you can PM a link to the model if you want, MAX7/GMAX) .
I would not worry much about the aesthetics of the bridge... anyway the SC4 perspective will ruin it  ::)  :D   :D
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

PaulvMontfort

I modelled the bridge keeping the 16m rules in mind, so that shouldn't be a problem ;).
here's a screen to show you how. The grid is set to 16m:

Sorry I can't send you a model. I made it with 3dsmax 9.

EDIT: I could send you a 3ds file though ;)

jeronij

I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

PaulvMontfort

jeronij

For the members still interested in this project....

This is an alternative version to the original one. I still have tofigure out how to mod other less geometrical versions....

Yes, I know, these are some worried testing pictures, just to fix everything, the bridge pieces, the way the LODs fit with the terrain and the water, correcting the Maxis pylons dimensions to make them fit with the bridge ones, and how the bridge behaves both in land and in water.... I hope you dont mind....  ;D

This is only a test render version I made to be able to create the mod. PaulvMontfort will make the final render, hopefully better than this one  ::)

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

PaulvMontfort

Thanks Jeronij. It might take a while for me to come up with the final result since I'm still experimenting with Mental Ray settings and nightlighting. BTW, I really like those textures you used. Are you willing to send them to me? That way I can make use them on the bridge since my own textures aren't very good :P

jeronij

I made a previous render using Catmull-Rom as the renderer, but the final result was not good with this model. Way too edged in game  &mmm . For the pictures I used the area filter, but the result is not exactly spectacular  ::) ... I hope you find the way to render it properly  ;)

I will pack and send you the textures asap  ;D

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Kitsune

Will the arch still get thrown in somehow?
~ NAM Team Member

Pat

Ooooooh wow paul and jeroni that bridge is simply amazing!!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Shadow Assassin

Looks wonderful.

Jeronij, have you thought about using a custom retaining wall for that bridge? It'd look much better than the default blocky pylons.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!