• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Making 'street connections' to non-transit enabled lots

Started by pilotdaryl, February 12, 2008, 03:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pilotdaryl

This is a tutorial I wrote back in late-2006.  Hope you guys like it!  I also made a few revisions.
From ST's "Post your tutorials" thread:

Here is a simple tutorial on how to make 'street connections' to non-transit enabled lots.

You'll need the NAM which can be found in the Mods and Downloads section.

Remember to be careful not to place any puzzle pieces next to or on transit-enabled lots, as this may cause the game to crash.  It is recommended you re-plop any nearby transit-enabled lots after you do this.

First, find the el-rail dual-network puzzle pieces in your menu, and plop the el-rail over road (or any network that you don't want to use)one tile back from where you want to make the eye-candy connection:

Then plop an el-rail over street(or any network that you want to make the connection with) piece, in this case street, next to the road piece.    The game will not crash when this happens.  I have found it to be a bug-free solution.  ;)

Note: To do this with a one-way or avenue, you may have to place the road piece a few tiles back and use the overpass puzzle pieces, as those are the ones available.

Now demolish the el-rail over road piece and you get this:

You may now connect it as you wish.  ;D
But this tutorial is not complete yet.  You say you've been having trouble creating T-intersections with this?  Here's the solution.
Drag the end of the street you don't want to connect one tile away from the street tile:

Then demolish that tile of street:

Now you can connect it to a network and play with it as you wish. ;) Dragging any network over the tile will not harm the street.

This is how it turned out for me:

Be creative, and have fun!!!

Tutorial by Pilotdaryl

Godzillaman

"With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound he pulls the spitting high-tension wires down..."

CasperVg

Indeed, that is a brilliant solution! Awesome findings.
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

ehbk2006

My BAT Showcase: ehbk2006's traffic BAT's
My sketchup models on the 3d warehouse.
[RDY]: Veolia - Coal hopper + E189

j-dub

Thats funny, I have been using a different method to this. Carefully demolishing on-slope puzzle pieces can do it too, especially like for one-ways or avenues. Thats what works for me.

High5Tower

Great find here, I have been wanting to do this for a long time. Thank you. :thumbsup:

metarvo

This is great!  I'm sure the people in my cities get tired of driving over the concrete sidewalks to get anywhere.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

FrankU

Quote from: metarvo on August 06, 2008, 07:15:07 AM
This is great!  I'm sure the people in my cities get tired of driving over the concrete sidewalks to get anywhere.
I even had to plop an extra jail to punish all the drivers that killed passers-by...

Great tutorial, so short, so simple, so useful.  :thumbsup:

winmax_87

I have some problems to make it works. I put in the game the two plops (street and road) and I demolish the road's plop, but then I don't know what to do because whatever I do, the street always disappear and I can't make the final intersection (the one in the final picture). Can someone help me? Because I don't know what to do...  ()sad() :-[

thanks  ;)

j-dub

I can tell you off the bat, I don't think this tutorial is possilble in a city with existing development on both sides of a road. If you draw a road across, and then from the underground rail menu, find a road/street puzzle piece, then place it after the road across where the piece isn't on the road, but postion the piece so the street connects from the puzzle piece road right next to the other road, you then demolish the road/street puzzle piece, and the connection should have stayed there. It has for me.

johny.87

Quote from: winmax_87 on August 06, 2008, 11:26:47 AM
I have some problems to make it works. I put in the game the two plops (street and road) and I demolish the road's plop, but then I don't know what to do because whatever I do, the street always disappear and I can't make the final intersection (the one in the final picture). Can someone help me? Because I don't know what to do...  ()sad() :-[

thanks  ;)

Simply use other puzzle pieces, e.g. el. rail over street+intersection (works for me in the recent NAM). You may want to reshape it after, by dragging and deleting street in different directions. ;)

j-dub

I can't post a visual right now, but since I usually already have buildings built, I use the rail over street piece, instead of the El over street piece. What I do, is draw two tiles of rail parallel to the lot I want the street in, and then plop the rail over street at the the driveway of that lot, and then I bulldoze just the rail tile next to the piece I just plopped. This then automatically gets rid of the rail all together, and leaves the street connected to the driveway. HOWEVER, in any event, such pathing that abruptly ends without the automata being able to turn around, can get quite harry, that is if we are talking about artificial, non simulator commute traffic, with clusters of automatta put on the road by a generator lot. This should NOT be a problem if the road following is no where near one of these traffic generator lots.