• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tram/El-rail separation issue unsolvable?

Started by Rubicon83, August 05, 2009, 04:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rubicon83

Hi there :)
I have a question which bugs the hell out of me..

Here's my dream..

In my city:
1. I want a subway system.
2. I want an el-rail system.
3. I want them to be connected so the subway-trains also use the el-rails.

I got these extremely realistically looking NYC subway skins for the subway, and i love them :D I want them to be on both the subway and the el-rail.
And so i connected the subway with the el-rail network.
Mission accomplished ^^

So far so good.

Now..
Enter the idea of the TRAM.

Yes, I want tramways too.

Here's the thing.

I do NOT want trams on the el-rails.
I do NOT want subway-trains riding the GLR.
I want it to be two separate automata-skins, one for subways/el-rail, another for the trams on the GLR.

For me, realism is crucial for the experience, as i'm sure it is for you as well :)

So..
My question is:
Can this be accomplished by any means? Perhaps by a mod or something?
Is there ANY way AT ALL to separate the two so i can have a tramway with actual trams, while still keeping the subway/el-trains as the modded NYC style subway-trains i have adopted and come to love?

I know the GLR uses the el-rail as a base, and I think the subway and el-rail are on separate networks... but i must know ^.. please.. Isn't there some mod out there that can make the GLR as a separate network as well? Or maybe a file programmed to tell the el-rail/subway-trains not to show up on GLR-tiles? .. or something? ^^

Sorry if I'm sounding like a noob right now, but I'm freakin desparate... I want to pursue the city of my dreams ^^

At this stage, I'll either have to:
1. Accept subway/el-rail trains on the GLR, which just looks weird when maybe 7-car trains (NYC Subway style) suddenly show up on the GLR in the middle of the road in rush-hour traffic ^^
2. Accept trams as the primary el-rail vehicles. (Looks a little pathetic when you see only one car coming into an el-rail station)
3. Download the mod pack with the file that suppresses the el-rail automata entirely, while keeping the stats for the el-train intact. (sure, it's doable, but ... seriously, non-existant automata, what's the fun in that?)
or..
4. Remove the tramway altogether from my city. (NOOOOO! I just spent a day and a night plopping and replopping puzzle pieces. Uh-uh, i'm not doing that)

Please..
Let me know :)

Thankful for any reply

io_bg

Unfortunately, you can't have different trains on your elrail / tram / subway networks. But now I remember about the SFBT GLR tram mod which adds additional tram cars.  I think it's the only solution. Link to the mod.
Hope this helps you!
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

bob56

Quote from: io_bg on August 05, 2009, 05:19:53 AM
Unfortunately, you can't have different trains on your elrail / tram / subway networks. But now I remember about the SFBT GLR tram mod which adds additional tram cars.  I think it's the only solution. Link to the mod.
Hope this helps you!

Using this mod helps somewhat. What I do is install that mod, then locate the file that REPLACES the original tram, and delete it. Then I install a basic el-rail/subway skin. I end up with both trams and the el-trains on the networks.

You can call me Grif

--Currently out of the office, will resume SC4 7/19

Andreas

As said before, this is not possible, unfortunately. What you could do is modding the NY Subway skin into a Railway skin, and use the Elevated Rail Viaduct puzzle pieces together with the NDEX Rail to Subway ramp lot. You'd have to sacrifice your regular rail for that, but at least it would be possible to use a GLR skin with single cars, and have longer trains on your "el-rail" lines. It's certainly not a perfect solution, but the only one I could think of for using different skins for tram and other rail-based vehicles.
Andreas

Rubicon83

Quote from: Andreas on August 05, 2009, 08:28:10 AM
As said before, this is not possible, unfortunately. What you could do is modding the NY Subway skin into a Railway skin, and use the Elevated Rail Viaduct puzzle pieces together with the NDEX Rail to Subway ramp lot. You'd have to sacrifice your regular rail for that, but at least it would be possible to use a GLR skin with single cars, and have longer trains on your "el-rail" lines. It's certainly not a perfect solution, but the only one I could think of for using different skins for tram and other rail-based vehicles.

Thanks for the tips :)
Because I don't want to sacrifice the awesome Regional Runner regular railway trains, I've decided to keep the trams as both normal ground-level trams as well as the transportation of choice up on the el-rails. The only thing that is slightly off is the fact that it is only one car for every el-train now, but... it's not all that noticable.
By the way, wanted to thank you Andreas for your great SFBT stuff :)
They are highly appreciated ^^