• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Plastic Canvas - Disc Golf Art

Started by sanantonio, April 03, 2007, 08:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanantonio

I have always been active - from soccer to surfing, I have always enjoyed the outdoors.

In high school I found Disc Golf, an easy way to blow a couple of hours with friends on the weekends.  We would usually meet at our local course and throw a round or two, sharing some techniques and lots of laughs.  In college I played, but it was never regularly - just something to do when there's nothing to do.  After college though, I got more involved, joined the PDGA, started playing tournaments and actually started getting pretty good.

The more I played, the more people I met.  The more people I met, the more I'd want to get involved: course maintenance/workdays, helping staff at tournaments, and designing artwork for discs.  Having a background in graphic design, I felt like I could contribute in this regard the most. 

So here I want to share some of the designs I have made or collaborated on, and at the same time, expose more people to the sport that I love, Disc Golf.

----------------------

Click for Larger Image

Click for Larger Image

----------------------

These are the latest two, and are still undergoing revisions.  Eventually, these will be "printed" on a disc through a process known as hot-stamping.  There is another process which actually prints onto the discs, allowing for edge-to-edge, full-color designs.  I have a few of these also, and will post more if there is any interest.

Thanks for looking, now go to a park and give Disc Golf a try!!

Giligone

sanantonio

Quote from: Giligone on April 04, 2007, 06:03:26 AM
are those frisbees?

Close.  Since "Frisbee" is a registered trademark of Wham-O, "flying disc" is the preferred term.  Golf discs are weighted much heavier than your typical fun-on-the-beach flying disc, ranging from 150-200 grams, depending on the model.  Parallel to ball golf, there are putters, mid-range drivers, and distance drivers.  Discs cost between $5-$20 and to get started all you need is one.  There are well over 2,500 disc golf courses worldwide, with new courses and clubs being established everyday.  Coming soon, Chains will document the "rise" of disc golf, and hopefully push it into the mainstream.  There have been numerous references to disc golf in pop culture including, NUMB3RS, Scrubs, The Office, even Broom Hilda.

[LINK TO CHAINS VIDEO]