• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACEfanatic02

rickmastfan67:  Nice work.

A few issues, though:
-  The shoulder along the added lanes should align with the lanes themselves.
-  Why are the merge areas different lengths?  IMO, it would look better if they were consistent.
-  Finally, the skid marks should align with traffic flow -- i.e., should not continue past the end of the merge lanes.

Sorry to be a such nit-pick.  They look great, though.

-ACE
日本語勉強中-最近読んだ本はこちらで見えます。
Python Enthusiast

Ryan B.

Those look almost exactly like what I see on IH 990 (Lockport EXPWY), northeast of Buffalo.  Great work, and keep it up!

BigSlark

Rickmastfan,

Looking great! It seems that what the FHWA recommends isn't always what State DOT's adhere to.

At any rate, I can't wait to see these in game and keep up the great work!

Cheers,
Kevin

rickmastfan67

Quote from: ACEfanatic02 on June 23, 2007, 10:10:39 PM
rickmastfan67:  Nice work.

A few issues, though:
-  The shoulder along the added lanes should align with the lanes themselves.
-  Why are the merge areas different lengths?  IMO, it would look better if they were consistent.
-  Finally, the skid marks should align with traffic flow -- i.e., should not continue past the end of the merge lanes.

Sorry to be a such nit-pick.  They look great, though.

-ACE

1. It doesn't always happen.  I based the two puzzle pieces you see in this thread on real-life stretches of road that I've personally traveled on.  For the RHW-4 to RHW-8C, I based that off of two different segments on I-77 in NC and SC. (See post #157)  Also here's the Sat Image links to those areas.  Based them both sides on SB I-77's design and added a little bit of a personal flare to them.  Plus on the merge from 4 to 2 lanes, I made that shorter than what it looks like in real life because I don't think anybody would want a 3x30 puzzle piece that they couldn't add any off-ramps to if SC4 would have allowed it. LOL.  Anyways, here's the Sat images of those areas:
I-77 NC   I-77 SC
For the RHW-4 to RHW-6C, I made it similar to the other piece.  But with the RHW-6C to RHW-8C piece, I do plan on making the left shoulder follow the yellow line.

2. See #1.  However the RHW-6C to RHW-8C piece lanes will be similar when I have that completed.

3. Are you referring to the RHW-4 to RHW-6C piece, or both of them with that comment?  You want me to somewhat gray out the area past the yellow line on the RHW-4 to RHW-6C piece?  Because I can do that since I did that with the RHW-4 to RHW-8C piece.  Or did you have something else in mind?  If you did, please provide a picture in what you're thinking so we're on the same page.
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

blahdy

starting to put signs up on rickmastfan's lane merge transition:

thundercrack83

Well, that looks simply amazing, blahdy! I can't wait to see more development. As I've said countless times here before--the work coming out of this thread alone is enough to boggle my mind! Great job to all of you who have been working here!

BigSlark

Wow. Simply amazing.

I think I owe all of you a beer for this unbelievable realistic work.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: blahdy on June 24, 2007, 11:28:38 AM
starting to put signs up on rickmastfan's lane merge transition:

Now that looks dam sexy. :thumbsup:

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

Ryan B.

Quote from: BigSlark on June 24, 2007, 11:51:11 AM
I think I owe all of you a beer for this unbelievable realistic work.
Wait just over a year, and I'll be able to take you up on that.   :P :thumbsup:

blahdy

rickmastfan:   thanks;  Btw, the lane painting for RHW does not appear to match on your texture.  The northbound lane paints and south bound lane paints do not have uniform termination to lot's edge. (i.e. look at the top.  the white lanes should start from the edge on *both* directions of the highway, where as in your case, only one direction of white lane paints is terminated to the edge, the other side has it starting after being striped blank for a bit..)

here's something new for RHW: Variable Speed Limit Signs

The sign is based off of Daktronics VS-5220 VSLS: http://www.daktronics.com/vms_prod/SL/SL-09868.pdfhttp://www.daktronics.com/vms_prod/SL/SL-09868.pdf

Glenni

Wow.. :shocked2:

How many pollies did you put into that baby, eh? :D

Filasimo

if only we can really implement the ITS system in SC4 can things really get nasty!  $%Grinno$%
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

rickmastfan67

Quote from: blahdy on June 24, 2007, 09:11:24 PM
rickmastfan:   thanks;  Btw, the lane painting for RHW does not appear to match on your texture.  The northbound lane paints and south bound lane paints do not have uniform termination to lot's edge. (i.e. look at the top.  the white lanes should start from the edge on *both* directions of the highway, where as in your case, only one direction of white lane paints is terminated to the edge, the other side has it starting after being striped blank for a bit..)

If I think I know what you're talking about, I just followed the pieces that Tarkus provided me.  As an example, I took the picture of the RHW-6C he posted in this thread and drew lines across it where the grid lines are. (picture below)  Depending on which direction you're going (NB/EB or SB/WB), the white middle line is only suppose to touch the edge of the way you're going.  Now, if you're looking @ Tarkus's picture of the RHW-8C, he said he messed up on the textures for that one.  I just corrected the left lane to match what the two right lanes show because I bet that Tarkus is only going to fix the left side of the NB lanes since the SB match up perfectly already.

Quote from: Tarkus on May 27, 2007, 08:25:46 PM
And the RHW-8C (I realize I screwed something up with the textures--that will be fixed):

Quote from: blahdy on June 24, 2007, 09:11:24 PM
here's something new for RHW: Variable Speed Limit Signs

That looks awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:  You are really the king @ the 3dsMax part.

Pat

WoW you guys are simply amazing and sooooo much detail... will any of that be lost in render?
god i hope not cause i agree with what you said rickmastfan
QuoteNow that looks dam sexy.  :thumbsup:

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

rickmastfan67

Just want you guys to know, I updated the RHW-4 > RHW-6C piece.  I hid the black area that had shown up after the yellow line.  So, how does it look to you guys now?

NOTE: You might have to do a hard refresh of the page to update the image.  If you don't know how to, all you have to do is this if you're using IE: Ctrl+F5.  Remember to hold down the Ctrl key when you're hitting the F5 Button. ;)

=====

Also, I should have time this weekend to do the RHW-6C to RHW-8C Piece. ;)

BigSlark

The striping is spot on, however, I would suggest changing how the "stain" begins/ends in the new far left lane. Keep up the good work!

Cheers,
Kevin

Ennedi

You make an excellent work here, guys  :thumbsup:

Looking at these pieces I had an idea (unfortunately I'm a newbie in computer graphics and I can't draw quickly what I think about, I'll try to explain)
Having the RHW-8C piece you can divide it to 2 RHW-4C and make the smooth exit this way.  However, I see 2 problems:
1. After the exit you will have 2 RHW-4C running parallel in the same direction. Didn't they affect one to the other? Maybe not, if the outside one will immediately turn right or inside one will turn left?
2. To make such exit it is necessary to have the RHW-8C 2 tiles width, and your version have about 1,5 tile width. But maybe it can be solved?
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

Pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Ennedi on June 28, 2007, 12:26:21 AM
1. After the exit you will have 2 RHW-4C running parallel in the same direction. Didn't they affect one to the other? Maybe not, if the outside one will immediately turn right or inside one will turn left?
2. To make such exit it is necessary to have the RHW-8C 2 tiles width, and your version have about 1,5 tile width. But maybe it can be solved?

1. There is no such thing as a RHW-4C.  There is the default RHW-4 and I don't think there will ever be a RHW-4C since the default one is already 2 tiles wide, but that would be up to Tarkus.
2. Tarkus has created a RHW-8 that is 4 tiles wide compared to the RHW-8C that is only 3 tiles wide, but I don't know how much more Tarkus has done on the RHW-8.

Quote from: BigSlark on June 27, 2007, 10:50:08 PM
I would suggest changing how the "stain" begins/ends in the new far left lane. Keep up the good work!

I'll look into trying something about this on the weekend.  But no guarantees that it will work.

Quote from: patfirefghtr on June 28, 2007, 12:34:22 AM
&apls &apls great job much better improvement :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks. ;)

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Sorry I've been a little quiet lately.  Dealing with some hardcore RL (moving, helping run a music festival, etc.) and I didn't have working internet in the new place until just a couple of hours ago (ISP being a pain).  So I'll probably be fairly scarce around these parts until about mid-July, when the festival ends.  I do have a couple updates for my MD essentially ready to go, but I likely won't have time to get any modding done.

blahdy and rickmastfan67, this stuff is looking fantastic!  To answer your question, rickmastfan67, about the RHW-8, I've basically just gotten some preliminary orthogonal RULs done (ditto with the RHW-6).  The non-compact RHW-6 is pathed, and 8 is almost pathed.  The "C" versions I need to fix some things with the RULs (that's what was causing the texturing glitch).  If you were to reverse the striping coloration on those RHW-4/6C transitions, it would work very well for the RHW-6 (the 4-tile one). 

-Alex