• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

I'd agree with Andreas here as well.  Couldn't have put it better myself.   :thumbsup: 

By the way, this just in.  This Diag-Orth transition I had started with is now done. ;)  We're getting even closer now . . .

-Alex (Tarkus)

thundercrack83

We're getting even closer now . . .

That makes my day, Alex! It truly makes my day! Excellent work, as always, my friend!

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Andreas on October 19, 2007, 02:45:03 PM
Actually, wouanagaine is a programmer, not a modder. ;) And there are surely quite a few people that could be considered as "legend". On the other hand, though, every single custom content creator is a valuable asset to the SC4 community, regardless if he's a BATter, modder, lot maker, scrutineer or just someone who shows us what magnificient things can be done with the custom content. :)

Don't forget Texture Artist. :P
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

Tarkus

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 19, 2007, 03:03:44 PM
Don't forget Texture Artist. :P

Yes, especially with the NAM.  A lot of what we on the NAM Team have done wouldn't be able to do any of this stuff without our trusty texture artists. 

-Alex

BigSlark

Excellent work, Alex! I'd like to thank everyone involved with the NWM for all of their hard work and dedication to the project.

I'm looking forward to the release.

Cheers,
Kevin

Haljackey

WOW!  Just 2 pixels to go!  I cannot wait!  :o

That one lane ramp makes me think about a RHW-4 to RHW-2 transition.  As of now, we have to convert the RHW to an avenue and an avenue to a road, and a road to a RHW-2.  Its a little complicated, and the textures do not line up.  Also, you do not see the sharp curve when an avenue transitions to a road in "rural" environments (only 2 tiles in game), but a more gradual curve (possibly about 3-5 tiles).  Heres an example of what I mean:

View 1:

View 2:

View 3:

EDIT: Here is an in-game example of what I mean (sorry about it being so dark and of bad clairity  :()

Hey, its not a problem at all if this is not included in the next release of the RHW, but this kind of transition will make this network even more flexible!

Best,
-Haljackey.

JoeST

this is what i was thinking on the way to somehwere where i was going... the rhw2 should also maybe have an option to be centred on a 2 tile base that then moves off to one side, as you usually never see (at least not where i am) a movement to one side, it usually just becomes thinner on both sides...
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Tarkus

Haljackey, we're one step ahead of you.  :)  There will be a RHW-2-to-4 transition in the upcoming version, in addition to the MIS.  rickmastfan67 and Shadow Assassin have already worked up textures for it, and I just need to get it in game, which will occur once I get a few more RULs done on the MIS. ;)

-Alex (Tarkus)

mott

@Tarkus:  I have a procedure for you to follow:

1) Unzip and install the attached .dat
2) Start a new, blank city.
3) Drag a segment of RHW.
4) Wait a month or two for the advice ticker to get around to displaying low-priority messages.

JGCarter

@ Haljacky: Yup, that would be a cool transition

@Tarkus: OMG!! Im sooooo excited about the MIS!!!! These updates are killing my patience lol  :'(

GREAT WORK!!!

Meastro444

Quote from: JGCarter on October 19, 2007, 05:22:07 PM
@ Haljacky: Yup, that would be a cool transition

@Tarkus: OMG!! Im sooooo excited about the MIS!!!! These updates are killing my patience lol  :'(

GREAT WORK!!!
i have to second this! :thumbsup:
Friend of the Certified Drama Queen :)

Palpatine001

Excellent indeed, the 4 to 2 lane RHW Transition would go great for State Highway One in East Solaria

As seen above

Anycase I have posted a few more pics of an RHW Addition over at the thread in ST http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=124&threadid=67624&enterthread=y&STARTPAGE=81

Can't wait for the next addition for RHW  :thumbsup:
Now Idle
Please leave a message after the beep and I'll get to you as soon as I can bother

Jasoncw

In the second batch of screenshots Palpatine posted at ST, I noticed that the transition between the avenue and the highway wasn't perfect.

Here's a tutorial that is hopefully helpful.  The tutorial is about doing something else, but you get the idea.  You'd have a layer of one texture, a layer with the texture of what you're transitioning into (with a mask on it), and then a layer(s) on top of that for whatever manual pixel art you want to do.  Just make sure the gradient goes from black to white smoothly and completely, and there should never be any seams.

Hope it helps!   :)

Tarkus

Getting even closer.  Still messed up something with the Road intersection, but it's almost there. 

-Alex (Tarkus)

DFire870

Very clever... Either you purposely hid the RHW-Road intersection to keep us in suspense, or the trees just grew there by themselves. :D
After a long absence, I'm back! And I will be starting a new MD soon.

Andreas

Quote from: DFire870 on October 21, 2007, 06:48:47 AM
Very clever... Either you purposely hid the RHW-Road intersection to keep us in suspense, or the trees just grew there by themselves. :D

LOL, I just thought the very same thing.  :D  Looks fabulous so far, though!
Andreas

sc4luv2

I see, just a lil' RUL modifacation, and it'll do it. Well, I don't mod... I just think that will fix it...  :-\

Well, anyways,

Great Work!!!  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
[

JGCarter

Kitsune

Quote from: Haljackey on October 19, 2007, 03:39:44 PM
WOW!  Just 2 pixels to go!  I cannot wait!  :o

That one lane ramp makes me think about a RHW-4 to RHW-2 transition.  As of now, we have to convert the RHW to an avenue and an avenue to a road, and a road to a RHW-2.  Its a little complicated, and the textures do not line up.  Also, you do not see the sharp curve when an avenue transitions to a road in "rural" environments (only 2 tiles in game), but a more gradual curve (possibly about 3-5 tiles).  Heres an example of what I mean:

Hey, its not a problem at all if this is not included in the next release of the RHW, but this kind of transition will make this network even more flexible!

Best,
-Haljackey.

Excellent Pictures! I can name the interchanges seen in those last two pictures. There are plenty of those transitions around that part of Sudbury.
~ NAM Team Member

ExiLe

looks amazing, thanks for doing this. You are doing a great job tarkus!

&apls  &apls
...coming soon