• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Wider one-way roads (5 lanes wide)

Started by mikeseith, April 23, 2007, 05:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Mike, thanks for posting those on here.  As I said before, they look fantastic!  Thanks again for reviving this project! :thumbsup:

-Alex

iamgoingtoeatyou

woah! this is exactly what simcity 4 was missing, It's hard to make a nice looking [grand] city with the game's default oneway streets and avenues, these new projects look amazing and will fit in perfectly! looking forward to more  &apls

mikeseith

Here is a sneak peek at some intersections.  Street and one-way intersections and a look at some of the textures lined up.

thundercrack83

Looking good, mikeseith! I am curious, though: What would one of these wider one-ways would look like intersecting another wider one-way?

mikeseith

thundercrack83,
Haven't gotten that far yet.  I'm curious how a 5 lane one way X 5 lane one way intersection will look too. 

Everyone else,
Thanks for the encouragement.  It is greatly appreciated.

sebes

Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

iamgoingtoeatyou

this looks beautiful mike! it reminds me of the avenues like 5th avenue and broadway in manhattan, this looks exactly like them! looking forward to more!  &apls &apls &apls

edit: is it possible for this to be compatible with the zebra crossing mod?

HabLeUrG

Filasimo

awesome work mike im interested how the avenue intersections would look like and not only that the traffic lights...... :brings chills to my spine:  ???

btw im curious to ask will you be able to transition the OWR-5 to ground highway? as well for avenue and such?
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

mightygoose

memo's avenue is perfect i really really want it.... and as for the owr5 surely peel on peel off juctions wold be more appropriate than traditional tees
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

mikeseith

filasimo,
I think connecting to 1ways my be the only option.  I may be wrong but seeing how the 5lane 1way road takes 2 tiles...

here are 128x128 .bmps of street, road and 1way intersections.  I can't seem to convert the smaller .bmp files to .fsh. 

jplumbley

Hey Mikesieth...

I have downloaded all the textures you have provided me so far.  Next week I will have time to play with this a little more and bug Alex.  But, I havent had the time between RL to get back into this project.

Your textures look awesome!! Thanks!  Keep up the good work.

EDIT:  Before I goto sleep I do have a small in-game pic of what this will look like.

"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

sebes

Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

Filasimo

mike,
im sure a puzzle piece could be made to transition the lanes somehow from 5 to 4 to 3 to 2 or something like that just to broaden the idea..
Plaza Mall Project
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

Shadow Assassin

Quoteim sure a puzzle piece could be made to transition the lanes somehow from 5 to 4 to 3 to 2 or something like that just to broaden the idea..

A good idea, but unfortunately, the RUL overrides required would breed like rabbits. Due to the way the game deals with network drawing, it's either all or nothing - you can't really have bits in between. Somehow, the lanes would have to be altered, but how?
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

mikeseith

Filasimo,
I think the best we can ask for in the realm of highway transitions is what I slapped together with jp's in-game picture.  Seeing how the highways and the 5-lanes can both transition into 1-ways you should be able to do something like the pic. I made.  Although hopefully the final product will look better...

Maybe in the future something else can get cooked up, but lets see if this can get off the ground.

Filasimo

yeah im sure it would be awesome if it was possible anyways i would love to see this get off the ground bc it would look lovely in my airport specially the one wounaganine sp? made with the parrellel parking on the side....but i love what you're doing mike and i cant wait for the finished product...i just got into modding a lil over a week ago and hopefully i can get into transit modding as well and help you guys out.

[edit] btw i glanced at the previous posts and would it be possible to use those merge textures u were experimenting in that pic that you showed me? you could actually make the outer oneway roads that doesnt merge to the interstate into frontage roads or other purposes..
Plaza Mall Project
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

thundercrack83

More fantastic progress here, I'm so happy! I'd like to thank all of you who are working so hard on this! Keep up the good work!

Tarkus

Well, an idea just came to me the other day when I was modding the Traffic Simulator Exemplar for my aforementioned experiment.  Since the experimental traffic mod I worked up involved equalizing the Road, OWR and Avenues, it would actually provide means for the OWR-5 and memo's Boulevard to co-exist.  The OWR-5 could actually be moved to a OWR-Road override, leaving the OWR-OWR override for the Boulevard. 

You'd have to make sure the that the Overriden Road in the OWR-5 was going the same way as the Override OWR, and I don't know how feasible that would be.  Just an idea--not sure if it's any good, but I thought it was worth throwing out there.

Of course, at that point, the original capacity and speed differential between the Boulevard and the Avenue would be negated, and there would simply be eyecandy, unless you were to take the Avenue and add a park effect to it.  I don't know if the whole capacity/speed equalization mod I worked up will really fly either, so to speak.

-Alex

jplumbley

Alrighty guys... I know it has been a while since we've had any progress on this project.  Alex and I have been working behind the scenes every so often together and more importantly I have been learning more about the RULs and editting them.  Bare with me as Im learning as I go along in the project.

As we have said before, OWR-5 is going to be merged together with a few other projects that are similar in their applications.  OWR-5 will be merged with RHW (Rural Highway Mod), TLA (Median Turning Lanes for Avenues) and any other RUL override textured networks in the future.  This new merged mod will become the NWM (Network Widening Mod).  You might see it come up in the next few weeks in its own thread.  Maybe, we can convince Jeroni to give us a NAM subforum for it :P

So, to continue with a small progress report.

Alex and I took 4 hours out of our lives last night and pounded through creating some RULs for the intersections.  It only took us 4 hours to get the first one... But this one can be applied across the NWM in different situations with a few minor changes each time.  We started with the OWR-5 and OWR-2 +-intersection.  Since, if we can get the +-intersections to work most of that code can be used for the T-intersections.  And the OWR-2 intersections can be applied to Road and Street intersections with minor changes.  Anyways, this is what we have pumped out.

The textures need some editing for the wealth levels, but the main road is done, thanks to Mikeseith!

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/6248/ag33jul13031182331448ah8.pnghttp://img401.imageshack.us/img401/6248/ag33jul13031182331448ah8.png
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM