• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superhands

wow. i just downloaded your seasonal tree lots. what a great effort.
nice pics as well.

dedgren

Yesterday was Heather's and my 11th wedding anniversary so, after spending a nice day with the kids, we took some time for ourselves and drove about 40 minutes out of Helena to a little ghost town named Marysville.

There appears to be one business still extant in the town- the Marysville House- and it came highly recommended.

It looks pretty innocuous as you walk up to the door.

Once inside, though, you pretty much get right away that this may not be a place where mom and pop take the kids for a family "go out to eat" dinner.

It looks popular enough, though.

Heather taking it all in...

The decor was from the mid to late "Nobody's Watching Me Graffiti" period.

Close up, it was all the usual banal stuff. 

Bet they don't have a hard time staying warm in the winter.

The menu's pretty basic- not a salad in sight.  $110 (US) for two pounds of Alaska Lobster... whew!

Heather chose the "Tons of Shrimp" skillet, and was well-rewarded.

I ordered the ribeye- it weighed in at about two pounds/900 grams.  MOOOO!  The beans were divine.

After dinner you could go to the bar.  Heather fled...

...maybe she didn't like the look of the barkeep- he was actually an ex-PhD in philosophy candidate who leads the local knitting society- just kidding.

I think she hid in the little girls room.

Anyway, like I said, it is a very popular place.  Some folks appear to have been here for a long, long time.

The next post will be some pics of Marysville, which is cool enough to be located in 3RR.  We'll see.

Later.

David

p.s.  Oh, and for my fellow countrymen and women: Have a great 4th! -DE

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

rooker1

Call me Robin, please.

Kitsune

Hey, that map actually looked like some people from Sudbury put a peg or three into the city. (Sudbury is in Ontario.. :) )
~ NAM Team Member

thundercrack83

Happy Anniversary to you and Heather, David! Many congratulations to you, my friend!

And the Marysville House looks like many a drinking establishment in the coal regions of Pennsylvania from which I hail. The obligatory "Bud Light" poster with the bar's name on it, names and other assorted things all over the walls--something's don't change, do they? Though, the brassieres over the bar is something different...

Enjoy your anniversary and the Fourth of July, my friend!

Dustin

Simpson

Lol happy birthday David  ;)
I really love this MD, you make an excelent work and so realystic
I always enjoyed visit this great MD
:thumbsup:
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

JoeST

May I repeat the happy anniversary wishes

and i can see why Heather would flee from such a bar :D

I loved you explanation of the bar tender ;D

cant wait for more, hope you have a great time

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Ennedi

Happy Anniversary for you and Heather David! :thumbsup:

Me and Beata (my wife) love this place!  :D

Adam
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

Jmouse

Happy anniversary, David and Heather, and here's wishing you many more! Looks like you chose a fascinating place to spend part of your special day - filled with all kinds of interesting collections, isn't it! ::)

Later...
Joan

dragonshardz

It's a good thing you got married on the 3rd David. Kinda hard to forget your anniversary when it's the day before a major holiday!

And happy anniversary to you and Heather; Happy Independence Day to my fellow Americans.

Waiting VERY patiently for your next post.

~~Dragonshardz~~

deathtopumpkins

Happy anniversary, David! That looks like a very interesting place to spend it, but the ghost town should be cool.

Also waiting for more 3RR!

[Oh and happy 4th!]

-DTP
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Schulmanator

That steak makes me HUNGRY! Do you have any leftovers? PM me a box of leftover ribeye if ya have any!   %BUd%
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

dedgren

I promised a look at Marysville, the ghost town where Heather and I celebrated our anniversary a couple of nights ago.  Yesterday we did ice cream sundaes for about 30 kids and 15 or so staff folks in the 90 degree (F)/32 degree (C) Montana summer heat, so we were pretty beat last night.  Anyway...

These aren't really organized- I just shot up and down the "main" street outside as we left the Marysville House.  It was dusk, so the conditions weren't optimum for crispness.

This is up toward the hillside end of town.  I don't know if the candy shop is a going concern or not.  There was a B&B on the web that was no longer in operation.

These old buildings are representative of most of the structures in town.  Everything was built in the last decade or so of the 1800s or just after the turn of the 21st century.  The stone building on the left shows what happens when the main beam across the front of the structure rots and sags.  The facade begins to collapse and that's pretty much it.

Here's a brick structure that appears to have been stabilized.

These were probably typical of residences built after the town became better established.

This is out toward the road in.

More shots across the street from the Marysville House.  This place was no shantytown.

This car probably sits where it broke down in the 1930s.

Everywhere you look, the eye is rewarded.

The year-round residents are pretty friendly, too.

Marysville has some kept up homes here and there.  It looks like a pretty nice place to spend some time.

And we're still building Marisa's quad Little Cold SW...

Here's a small pond in a field.

These are a few closer in shots.  There's a detail that Chris's (Chrisadams3997) fences have made possible- can you pick it out?

I hope to finish the detailing this evening.

Off to look for a Lego City [linkie] set for each of the boys- it's become a tradition.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

allan_kuan1992

wow.... stunning =O

- Allan Kuan

threestooges

Happy Anniversary! That dinner looked pretty good though I'm sure the company was even better. The pictures are great. The front of the old barn in the 9th pic looks almost like a painting. The pond in Marisa's quad looks good and as far as the fences go, I seem to recall you mentioning something about wanting to be able to plop trees right up against the fences (or in this case, on top of). I'm sure the kids will enjoy the Legos. I used to play with those thing all the time when I was a kid (and if they hadn't been lost in the shuffle of a couple of moves, I'd probably still be playing with them now) but now, I think SC4 has fit into that space pretty well. I'm always amazed at how much you seem to be able to do, but considering where your efforts go, I can see where you get the energy.
-Matt

girlfromverona

Happy belated anniversary! Marysville looks like a very unique place to celebrate. Although I can understand why Heather fled the bra, uh, I mean bar...  :D

My quad just keeps getting better and better!  :thumbsup:

bat

Happy anniversary! And the pictures there are looking wonderful! Looking forward to more... ;)

dedgren

I love oak-lined country lanes on a Sunday morning...

Have a great day.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Jonathan

Happy anniversary David,
You have a fantastic region here, with great updates.
The detail you put into everything is stunning, I have trying to at least skim through this thread before replying but in the end there was just so much to read and see.  :thumbsup: &apls
Jonathan

MandelSoft

Happy aniversery, D.edgren!

I've been watching this thread for a while, and it looks teriffic. I see that you spend a lot of time into the project. Keep on going!

Best,
Maarten

Lurk mode: ACTIVE