• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RebaLynnTS

Folks, let's please try to remember, this stuff is all being done for the love of the game, and not for pay. So, it is unfare to expect it to all be just the way you like it.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

Palpatine001

Quote from: Tarkus on April 16, 2008, 07:45:18 PM

-Alex (Tarkus)

Alex, this has put me in a bind here as constructive critisism can often be the hardest to do for a mate when you want to try and help them.

Seeing the texture was a tad of a  :o when I first saw it. The colour of the road itself is fine and on par with the darkness of the Auckland Motorways where I live. However the lane markings in my opinion are a tad off by being spaced too far apart. May I suggest adding another line in the space between the current markings, so instead of being I think 8m apart between each mark, it would be around 4m or NZ standard here. Just a thought though.

BTW will cats eyes be included
Now Idle
Please leave a message after the beep and I'll get to you as soon as I can bother

dragonshardz

Yeah i agree with some of the previous posters that the new textures look strange to someone who is used to the current textures. Looks like I'll have to get used to it then.

~~Dragonshardz~~

yoshiisland2

Hi everyone-

I'm finally back with an update on all things RHW. :)

While there will not be a full update ready any time soon, a "Version 20a" will be ready, which will incorporate a number of fixes to features already in Version 20:

-Fixes to the Orthogonal-Diagonal Transition dragging mechanism for MIS
-Stabilized Road/MIS T Intersections
-Draggable (non-smooth) S-Curve for RHW-4 fixed (which will make the smooth Lane Shift/S-Curve pieces easier to place)
-Rail-over-RHW-4 puzzle piece Pathing Fix
-Fixes for "Orphaned"/"Artifacting" textures on some ground level puzzle pieces (like the RHW-4-to-6S)
-Sidewalks removed on MIS textures in zoned areas

So that's what that was?  I thought my Sims were being just plain stupid, using the MIS exits to bypass the rail over RHW-4 but as it turns out, they couldn't use it...well, glad to see you're on the ball with that one guys!  And thanks for the updates!  :thumbsup:

QuoteAfter Version 20a, I am planning on implementing a new strategy with all future updates to the RHW mod.  Instead of having 8 months between releases (as was the case between the original v13 and v20), I am planning on doing a series of smaller, incremental updates which will add just a few new features, but will be released more frequently.  How does that sound?

-Alex (Tarkus)

That sounds awesome, it means we'll have to wait longer for the better features (like Elevated-RHW stuff) but now we don't have to wait as long for fixes/little treats. ;D  Now that I know it's 93% done, I'll look forward to it's release tomorrow! ::)

And about the textures, I love them so far, they look just the pavement on Interstate-75 down here in sunny Florida. ;D
-Yoshi

Tarkus

Quote from: yoshiisland2 on April 17, 2008, 05:38:36 PM
it means we'll have to wait longer for the better features (like Elevated-RHW stuff) but now we don't have to wait as long for fixes/little treats. ;D 

Not necessarily. ;)  If anything, it means that the "big ticket" stuff won't be "stockpiled" waiting for a large release, but rather, rolled out gradually . . . ::)

-Alex (Tarkus)

RebaLynnTS

Anyone that wants different textures, can just make their own, as long as you use the right IIDs and proper orientation, and name the dat file so in loads in after the RHW files.

In Fact, I'd request that the RHW team make a table of IIDs, so that those who want to do this, can (Much like is being done with the SAM).
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

Pat

Hey Alex thank you for keeping us up todate here and explaining in more details on RHW status...  Just a question though when doing the updates would it be numbered IE v 20.A and so on to what point before we flip to IE v 21 or is it not thought ahead that far?

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Orange Julius

I'm sorry for criticizing the textures. I had tried to make it constructive criticism, but it came off badly. Forgive me.
Gone now...

quackmofro

Quote from: Tarkus on April 17, 2008, 03:14:32 PM

quackmofro:  Actually, the rumble strips are still there, but they're a lot more subtle.  This is what the actual 128x128px texture looks like outside the game:

And the good news is, they won't have any negative effect on the RULs. ;)

That's good news to hear, indeed. :thumbsup: We can't have any dozy simcitizens veering off the road. After functionality, the next most important priority is driver safety.

Tarkus

Becca, that's a pretty good idea! 

And Pat, you're most certainly welcome.  As far as the updates go, the reason why this one is Version 20a is because it is simply fixing issues with Version 20 (much as Versions 13a and 13b fixed Version 13).  I don't anticipate there being a Version 20b, so the next one after 20a should be Version 21. 

Of course, the whole version number scheme for the RHW is a bit odd anyway, since qurlix called the first public release Version 12, so really, Version 20a is more like Version 3a.

If anyone is wondering what Version 21 will contain, I'm not entirely sure yet, but it is looking like it will be primarily new ramp interface pieces.

I do also have a little teaser of something that will eventually be added in as well (not necessarily in v21 ;)).  You may have noticed that I mentioned an "RHW-3" in my list of RHW networks on my stickied post, but I haven't ever revealed anything about it.  Well, here's the first texture I've done for it. 

-Alex (Tarkus)

woodb3kmaster

This is great news, Alex! I'm glad to read that new updates will be coming out more frequently than before, even if they'll be smaller.

And FWIW, I like the new textures. I considered the old textures unrealistic, as their lane lines are too long and close together. Judging from my own Google Earth-based measurements of the lane lines on Los Angeles freeways, the new textures are spot-on. Good job!

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

pilotdaryl

The new textures look great!  But they look as if the highways were newly made... not too common in modern interstate highways.  The surface here is obviously asphalt.  You should make a concrete set for American users.  concrete is still very common in most american highways.

Then again, I could get around to making those kind of textures myself... ;D if I had the time to do so.

EDIT: I've got an idea here.  Tarkus maybe if you have time, I think multiple texture sets (one can be used at a time) should be made, e.g. American asphalt, American concrete, Australian, European, etc. etc. this way it could be a lot more flexible.

cammo2003

Quote from: pilotdaryl on April 17, 2008, 10:12:32 PM
The new textures look great!  But they look as if the highways were newly made... not too common in modern interstate highways.  The surface here is obviously asphalt.  You should make a concrete set for American users.  concrete is still very common in most american highways.

Then again, I could get around to making those kind of textures myself... ;D if I had the time to do so.

EDIT: I've got an idea here.  Tarkus maybe if you have time, I think multiple texture sets (one can be used at a time) should be made, e.g. American asphalt, American concrete, Australian, European, etc. etc. this way it could be a lot more flexible.

Well, SA's upcoming set pretty much takes care of Euro and Australian (which are much the same markings wise).

Tarkus

Eventually, perhaps--as cammo2003 pointed out, SA's gotten the Euro/Australian/International market covered already, but a North American concrete set would be kind of nice. 

But it'd be awhile. I'm just getting done with this one now. :D  First things first. ;)

-Alex (Tarkus)

videosean

-Fixes for "Orphaned"/"Artifacting" textures on some ground level puzzle pieces (like the RHW-4-to-6S)
-Sidewalks removed on MIS textures in zoned areas
Awesome, awesome, awesome :D  I've only had RHW a few days and these were the only things I'd noticed so far... I don't use hardly any rail except monorail and have had very few issues getting monorail across the RHW.
And I couldn't leave this update without a pic.  Introducing a new texture set I've designed myself:
My main concern with that texture... I really like what's being used already (the side shoulder with catseyes or whatever and what could be rumble strips) but could you show a picture (closer zoom too please while I'm demanding lol) of the RHW4 to OWR transition with the new texture?  I really like the way that transition is with the current textures and it's the way the shoulder angles in towards the road.  I'm sure it will all be fine whatever happens just thought I would ask :)

I actually came to look for info about a RHW4 to dual RHW4 splitter piece.  I'm not sure I need to use it but the way I'm trying to address some major traffic areas in one of my cities would benefit from that.  Example:
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/7416/20080418030645na3.jpg
Having to transition from RHW4 to RHW6 then split RHW6 into 2 RHW4s takes up more space than I want to give up.  That portion of that city was a 'residential arms' type experiment that was WAY more successful than I ever thought it would be and even though commute times are under 20 minutes the roads in that area are all bright red.... including the partial RHW replacements I've tried so far ;)  I don't know that I can solve my traffic issues there without monorail or something but an RHW4 to 2 RHW4 would be nice :)

*edit* If someone has a better idea (instead of RHW4 to dual RHW4) let me know... I'm assuming using the MIS offramps would have a significantly lower capacity than an RHW4 and not help the congestion issues.  I may just need to do everything as RHW6 instead of RHW4 though :/

*edit* K... I just realized that the avenue has a higher capacity than the RHW4... ave = 20,000 and RHW4 = 9600 :(  Back to the drawing board!

MandelSoft

QuoteAfter Version 20a, I am planning on implementing a new strategy with all future updates to the RHW mod.  Instead of having 8 months between releases (as was the case between the original v13 and v20), I am planning on doing a series of smaller, incremental updates which will add just a few new features, but will be released more frequently.  How does that sound?

-Alex (Tarkus)
This sounds great!

There are at least two things good about the new texture:
- It's simple, so it's easy to make new texture sets
- The scale is realistic. The old textures where WAY to big

Keep on going, Tarkus :thumbsup:

Best,
MRTNRLN
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Lollo

Tarkus, you continue to surprise us... New textures, new approach to the whole matter.... It is definitively good. Personally I like both the things,the "small updates" part expecially. Regarding the textures, I think they're nice, and blend much better with the game then the others. Maybe a longer middle line would be better but it is a minor thing. However, as an Italian, I think I'll use SA's set for my RHW, but I'll give your one a try, who knows... maybe they would turn up as the best for my mediterranean-based environment...!  ;D

Keep an eye on the Lair!

pilotdaryl

Having ridden on Interstate 5 in Washington State myself, I think the distance between the markings is very accurate. ;)  Washington State is now applying cat's eyes and bott's dots to most of it's newer roads, so I might suggest that you make that as well.

By the way, have you seen my PM about the signage piece mod?  I'm willing to help out with any type of sign, anytime.

nerdly_dood

Not necessarily.  The only cement highway (that isn't a bridge) anywhere near where I live is about 60 miles from my city, on US route 29 north of Lynchburg Virginia.  Even then, the cement section is only about five miles long.  Most highways are asphalt.  (Not that i'm saying that is the ONLY cement highway in the whole united states - i only mean that the highways around where i live are mostly asphalt.)
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

BigSlark

Alex,

I like the new textures, they don't as detailed but much more realistic to me. Well done!  :thumbsup:

And as for the concrete vs. asphalt debate, every city that I've lived in has freeways that are a combination of the two. Yes, it would be nice to be able to mix and match road surfaces in the same city, but we've got take what's feasible and be happy with it.

That said, I'm looking forward the next RHW release!

Cheers,
Kevin