• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

DAMN Manager

Started by Yild, November 11, 2012, 01:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yild

Quote from: droric on September 12, 2013, 05:36:56 AM
Yild,

I would like to request permission to use your application screenshots in some documentation for the DAMN NAM project.  Also if possible would these screenshots be able to be used for the NAM user manual? 

granted

Quote from: droric on September 12, 2013, 05:36:56 AM

Furthermore I was wondering if it was possible to add these root menu's in a more functional method using your application.  See the DAMN-NAM Root Menu button which links to another menu item.  ALSO is it possible to replace the folder icons with item icons?  Thanks!!

I just created tool that fills some .dat files, Im not the author of the scripts - so any change you have to make by yourself (as one posted some posts earlier),
and Im not currently active SC4 player - this implicate that Manager development is atm on hold :/

I've seen NAM puzzles in DAMN menu 'plugin'... I suggest that you should put those files in folder structure created by Manager and run DAMN-Indexer.cmd by yourself (that should recreate new menu structure including added branches).
DAMN Manager download: at LEX at STEX
DAMN Manager support thread: at SC4Dev

droric

Yild,

Thank you for your response.  I will continue to add the root menu entries manually in the LUA script for each menu.

PC Specs: i2700k @ 4.9 Ghz, 16 GB @ 1600-8-9-8-16, 2X GTX 580 SLI, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3R, 120 GB Vertex 3 SDD, 3 TB RAID1, 1200W SilentGold, Antec P180B case, Win 8 x64 Pro

bassileian.rob

Okay... So here's the scoop.  I had the DAMN manager working before with some difficulty at first.  I'm not sure exactly what got it to finally work, but I had to reload my SC4 and NAM and DAMN and now the DAMN is not working.  I installed the DAMN 1.1.1 into my /Documents/SimCity4/ folder and ran it.  Setup seemed to work just fine.  Here's the catch.  Before when I used the DAMN 1.1.1 the DAMN folder loaded into my /Documents/SimCity4/Plugins directory and now it's loaded into my /Programs/Maxis/SimCity4/Plugins directory.  I figured that this wouldn't be a problem, but when I attempt to run SC4, none of my menu shows up in program.  SO, I tried moving the "DAMN" folder from my /Programs/Maxis/SimCity4/Plugins directory to my /Documents/SimCity4/Plugins directory and then tried to run the "DAMN 1.1.1" and it told me that DAMN 1.1.1 was not installed.  So I moved the DAMN folder back and DAMN 1.1.1 ran with no problem again, but still didn't load my menu structure into SC4.  So scratching my head, I've been dumbfounded as to what I should do.  When installing DAMN 1.1.1 there are no options for where to point the DAMN folder.  Before it worked in my /Documents/SimCity4/Plugins, but I have no idea why it did and no idea why it doesn't now... I'd love to get it working again.  Thanks.

EDIT:  Well, I tried to move the actual DAMN into my /Progrms/Maxis/SimCity4/Plugins directory and voila everything is working again.  Maybe the DAMN should be installed into that directory instead of the /Documents/SimCity4/Plugins directory.  Now the menus work and I can use all of my useful files.  Sorry I wasn't able to figure this out earlier before posting.

Thanks for this wonderful software Yild.  Maybe the next update should include instructions as to where to place the program so that it works without any complications.

Yild

Actually you don't need to place any files anywhere... ;)

When you launch app for the first time it checks if certain files are stored in you SC4 installation directory in /plugins/damn - if not found it copy 3 (4 if selected additional options) files there.

btw there is a help file in /resources/lang/english/ ;)

Ernestmaxis

Is it possible to change the maximum of items in the Damn manager?
Maximum is 500 items,
I thought to create a MML for MML's to put this in the Damn Manager to decrease the amount of scrolling in menu games.
But I'm not the greatest with computers so I was unable to create a MML on my own. &cry2

So my question is
Is it possible to change the maximum of items in the Damn manager?

Kergelen

Hi Yild,

I'm having problems with some few lots that I have DAMNed. When I plop the lot the game stop, I can't do anything else not even quick the game. The only way to close the game is using the task manager.
It only happen with the lots where I don't see the building before plopping, as shown in the picture attached.
For example, I have problems with  this one from the LEX which is the one in the picture. And this

Links to SC4 websites

jmdude1

Has anybody got this to work with a steam version of the game? If so, how???  I am running into problems with the 'apps' folder location and none of my menus are showing in the game, although the menu window is there and sized correctly.

I've edited the launch options on steam with no results.  I've change the 'apps' folder name and created a new desktop shortcut which points directly to the exe rather than the steam url but that also doesn't work.  Error: steam is unable to find exe file.  I've even done a fresh install of the DAMN Manager and tried to create a new menu, but also with no results.

I've found google results on how to move an entire game folder but not how to move an exe within a game folder. So basically, when I rename my 'apps' folder steam can no longer find the exe file.

Any help would be amazing. I really don't want to use the original menu system, they are so full.  I used to have this working when I had the disk version, but my disk finally stopped working.

Edit:  I got DAMN to work! I just installed DAMN and the SSPTool and it worked.  I didn't try the DAMN Manager since everything is working ok now.

Ajax

I apologize if it is inappropriate to revive this thread, but I didn't know where else to post my question.  A couple of months ago I started moving all my SC4 stuff from my old Vista PC to a new machine running Windows 7.  After re-organizing all of my plugins, tweaking my own custom content, and deleting a lot of old unwanted stuff, everything is working in the game perfectly.  All that is left for me to do is to re-build my DAMN menus.  I never had any problems with this on my old machine, but now I am having the same problem that many have already had and fixed.  I also get the DAMN link in the news ticker, but the link just brings me to the DAMN menu Home page without showing any of my menus.  It must be "seeing" the stuff I have added, because if I do a search, it finds the correct number of lots.  I swear I have attempted nearly all the solutions I could find.  The "Start In" path in my SC4 shortcut does not have "Apps".  I am running everything as Administrator.  The folders have all permissions.  One thing I have not tried is installing the old SSP Tool and DAMN manager.  I like this version much better, so I would prefer it if I did not have to take that course.  This morning I tried it with an empty plugins file and the original SimCity_1.dat (The only modification I made was the fix for CAM), I made a couple of quick menus with a couple of park lots and get the exact same result.  I just don't know what I am missing.  I'm not that computer literate, but I am also not completely without understanding.  All issues I've had in all these years of playing SC4 I've been able to resolve.  Unfortunately, without the ability to create menus the game isn't worth playing.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Ajax

Once again, my apologies if my post is inappropriate.  I think I read somewhere that you should not "bump" your own posts.  Please know that I am not trying to inflate my post count.  I am simply frustrated that I have not been able to resolve this issue with the DAMN menus.  I understand that it is either my system or something that I am doing that is causing the problem.  I know the program works because on my old system, it worked right out of the box.  I have now tried the old SSP version (which also worked for me in the past) and get the same result in game, a blank DAMN menu home page.  I have checked and re-checked in the past week that all the common solutions have been applied.  I do not have "Apps" in the "Start In" path, the folders have all permissions, and am running everything as Administrator.  Again, I know that it must be something I have done, or possibly have not done, but am simply at a loss of what else to try.  If anyone has suggestions as to how I might resolve this problem it would be greatly appreciated.

Yild

Hmm... all things that could be problematic was mentioned in this topic (and at simpeg/simtropolis forums), my guess its files/folders permission problem, either run damn and sc4 with admin privileges, also check if DAMN-index.txt file inside sc4/plugins/damn/support folder are filled with menu files (DAMN-Menu_*.dat) which names are correct including letters case (iirc lua scripts are case sensitive when working with file names), also check permissions for DAMN-index.txt (including whole folders path).

Ajax

Thank you so much for the response!  I know many are not as active as they once were and that I am not "entitled" to a response.  As I mentioned, I have looked into all the folders I have thought are tied in some way to the DAMN program to ensure they all have full permissions.  I also have been running everything as Administrator.  I did do a quick search over at ST, but any problems more complex than "Apps" in the "Start In" path or the permissions/admin solution seemed to point people back here.

The program appears to be generating the menu files correctly.  Here is just a sample of what was created in DAMN-index.txt with my latest test:

C:\PROGRA~2\Maxis\SIMCIT~1\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Drives and Parking Lots\5050\DAMN-Menu_1401021343544.dat
C:\PROGRA~2\Maxis\SIMCIT~1\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Drives and Parking Lots\5050\TE\DAMN-Menu_1401021353451.dat
C:\PROGRA~2\Maxis\SIMCIT~1\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Drives and Parking Lots\DAMN-Menu_1401021329288.dat
C:\PROGRA~2\Maxis\SIMCIT~1\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Drives and Parking Lots\Ind\DAMN-Menu_1401026037639.dat
C:\PROGRA~2\Maxis\SIMCIT~1\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Drives and Parking Lots\Ind\TE\DAMN-Menu_1401026046022.dat

I had not thought to check DAMN-index.txt for permissions, but now that I have, that seems to be OK also.  I am not sure what you mean by "whole folders path", I suppose that betrays some of my ignorance, and maybe is a clue as to why I can't get this working.

When I am in the game, the lots are hidden appropriately, and it will allow me to do a text search and comes up with the appropriate number of lots.  I just can't see the menus.
I was hoping it was something simple I have missed, but I don't have any clue why I could get it to work so easily before, and now I can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

Yild

C:\PROGRA~2\Maxis\SIMCIT~1\
this might be a problem, try to change this part to a fully qualified paths like "c:\Program files\Maxis\Simcity 4" or whatever its on your system.

Ajax

I'll give that a try, but it doesn't seem promising since that style of string is what was in my previous installation on my Vista system.

I just tried it...and got the same result.

hellodave

It seems there are quite a few reasons that cause the dreaded blank menus, I tried everything in this thread with no luck, until...

Quote from: Manwith Noname on August 31, 2013, 09:08:36 AM

In short, try deleting the damndesign.dat file found in the DAMN\Support folder.

Hope this helps someone.

This helped me, thank you Manwith Noname.
Thank you to everyone who worked through these issues before I got here :)
While I'm handing out thanks, thanks Yild! I love the Damn Manager!

Ajax

Thanks for the reply.  I thought I had tried this prior to my request for help, but just to be sure I tried it again.  The result I got confirmed that I had tried this before.  With damndesign.dat deleted, the news ticker in game just reads "***_NOT_IN_TEXT_DATABASE***text@daele775".  Then when I start the DAMN Manager without damndesign.dat, it starts as though DAMN has not been installed.  So, I let it re-create the damndesign.dat and went back into the game and once again I have blank menus.  I went back to the original post for this solution to see if there is something more to it than just removing damndesign.dat.  If there is, I am not seeing it.  I have read this entire thread and still can not get my menus to appear in game.  Maybe I need to re-read it to see if there is something I have missed.  Again, my complaint is not with the tool.  I had used it before, and loved it.  The problem only started when I switched to a new PC with Windows 7.  And, I am certain it is something specific to me since others have obviously been using this tool with Windows 7.  I just wish that I could resolve this issue and get back to playing the game.

Imaginary Llamas

I'm having a problem installing the DAMN manager. It almost gets the correct path for my SimCity installation, but it leaves out a slash like
"C:\Games\SimCity 4 Deluxe EditionPlugins\DAMN\"

I cannot find an option to manually set the path and so I can't get a working installation. Is there an option hidden away to set the path, or how else could I fix this?

Ajax

In my seemingly endless struggle to get my DAMN menus to work, I am now wondering if it has something to do with my system specifically.  As I stated before, I know it must be a problem on my end since many have resolved the issue and gotten this tool to work.  So, having tried all the suggestions (some multiple times) to fix this without success I am wondering if it may be something else.

1:  Could it be something blocking it from working?  I have Norton 360 to protect my system, but I also had it on my old system where the DAMN worked.
2:  Is it my Quad-core processor?  (Intel Core i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz)  I think I have seen elsewhere in the forums that others have had issues with this.  I did not know this had been causing problems for anyone and since I never had any problems with my previous Dual-core system had never considered this possibility.
3:  The "Help" documentation states that nothing additional is needed to run DAMN.  But, is it possible that I have some Windows 7 feature turned on or off that is causing a problem?
4:  Some have also had issues with the graphics card they are using.  I currently have the GeForce GT635.  I don't remember what model my old graphics card was other than that it was also GeForce.
5:  Over at ST, someone noted that they were having the same issue with DAMN menus not showing up in the game and the solution was that there was a process running for a music streaming service that once disabled, the DAMN worked.  The only thing I have installed on this new computer other than my SimCity stuff is the game Empire Earth II.  I am not really familiar with processes and what I can disable, so I don't know if this would be a valid solution for me.

I apologize to all that I keep bringing this issue up, but everything else seems to be working fine with my game except this.  I admit that I have not been in the game much, because without the DAMN, the game just is not very enjoyable for me.  The endless time spent scrolling through the Maxis menus just kills much of the joy of playing the game for me.  I enjoy working on landscapes (mostly golf courses) and have created a couple hundred puzzle pieces for this purpose.  I just hope someone can point me in the right direction to solve this frustrating problem.

APSMS

So, I have Windows 7, like you. Like you, I was frustrated that the pre-made DAMN menus for things like SimNation Military would not load properly because the list would not autogenerate after scanning my plugins for the corresponding files. Unlike you, I did not make any of  my own custom DAMN menus, but mostly due to time restraints and personal laziness. I'll get around to it one day...

Because you have not necessarily mentioned what you did to try to fix your problem, I will ask if the DAMN-index.txt file was manually modified by you in order to add the required files. I ask because this is what I did initially; I moved the DAMN folder into an empty place where administrator permissions were not necessary (even though I was running everything as an administrator anyways) and ran the program. DAMN-index.txt was generated like I wanted, except that the starting path (something other than C:\Program Files (x86)\...etc.) was wrong. All I was unsure of was the ending path file; the beginning was obvious enough so I went and modified the file path for every line in the index, reinserted it back into the Program Files folder, approved permissions, and voila! my DAMN installation now worked. That was what I did then, and it is a rather heavy handed approach if you have hundreds of files. Of course, I didn't specify exactly what I did then because I found an easier way to solve my problem, but it requires beginner comfort with the command prompt, if that's all right with you.

You see, I had a few months ago (prob more like a year) installed Yild's DAMN manager with the idea that I would easily create my own DAMN menus for things like Paeng's parks. What I was unaware of after running the program once to get my bearings was that the program re-created the DAMN-index.txt file and had erased my previous index; I was getting a submenu link (like you should), but clicking it did nothing, except open empty menu space. I recalled a programming class I had taken regarding running programs from the command prompt, and that gave me an idea....

You will, of course, need an administrator account with permissions.

First, open an elevated command prompt, like so:

Then, navigate to the place where your DAMN installation is. When typing, use "cd .." to go up in the filesystem (like from My Documents to Users) and use "cd foldername" to go down (like from C: to Program files). After typing the first part of the name, you can use the TAB key as a shortcut; it will suggest folders based on the first few letters that you type. My particular path looks like so:

Next we're going to run the DAMN-indexer. This time, the program should run flawlessly because we are using an Elevated Command Prompt, and not relying on the Windows GUI to remember whether or not we have the right permissions (which it doesn't, and we do).

To run the program, simply type it's name into the window; remember to use the three-letter filetype extension (or use the TAB key). Mine looks like this:

Hit ENTER to run the program:

Voila! A freshly indexed DAMN installation. Now let's check that DAMN-index.txt to see if it did it properly:

This happens to be what I had before (I saved a copy JIC this time), so we know it works!

Hope this helps. Try it out and let me know if anything works, or what didn't and we can go from there and see what we can do.

-Absalom
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Ajax

Thank you so much for the reply!  I apologize that I did not mention specifically what I have done to try to fix the problem.  Essentially I have tried all the common fixes to the problem mentioned in this thread (making sure "apps" is not in the "Start in" path, making sure the folders have full permissions, and that I am running things as "Administrator").  I have tried re-installing the latest DAMN, just in case something went wrong, as well as trying to install it in various places.  I have also tried just using the old SSP version, without any success.  I had modified the SimCity1.dat as instructed in the CAM thread to avoid the workforce bug, so tried the DAMN with my backup copy of the original SimCity1.dat.  Some have suggested removing the damndesign.dat file, but that too was unsuccessful.  I have been fighting this problem so long that I may have forgotten other things that I have tried, but these are the primary things I have done.  The only time I edited the DAMN-index.txt file manually was when Yild suggested that this might be a problem:

C:\PROGRA~2\Maxis\SIMCIT~1\

So I changed it to the "fully qualified path" like he suggested.  Unfortunately the result was the same. 

I have not had any need to use the command prompt in years (probably since college over 20 years ago), but I can follow instructions.  Thanks for the clear guidance and the screen caps, it made this very easy to follow.  Initially I was encouraged when after following these steps the DAMN-index.txt file that was written from this procedure had changed from what I had posted earlier to the following:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\SimCity 4\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Drives and Parking Lots\DAMN-Menu_1401021329288.dat
C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\SimCity 4\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Drives and Parking Lots\5050\DAMN-Menu_1401021343544.dat
C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\SimCity 4\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Drives and Parking Lots\5050\TE\DAMN-Menu_1401021353451.dat
C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\SimCity 4\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Drives and Parking Lots\Ind\DAMN-Menu_1401026037639.dat
C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\SimCity 4\Plugins\DAMN\Root\Drives and Parking Lots\Ind\TE\DAMN-Menu_1401026046022.dat

So, I fired up the game and...got the same result.  There is a link to the DAMN menus, but clicking it only brings up empty menu space.  It will also let me do a search, and as I stated previously, the tool does appear to be "seeing" the menu items because it comes up with the correct number of items that should be in the menus, it just does not display them.

I appreciate your kindness very much in trying to help me solve this problem!  Thank you for the time you have devoted to helping someone in need.  I just hope there is a solution to this.

APSMS

I notice that there is a "SimCity 4" folder in my "Maxis" folder, in addition to the "SimCity 4 Deluxe" folder. The SimCity 4 Deluxe folder is where the rest of my game files are, including the game default SimCity_1.dat.

The DAMN installer seems to have created for me both a folder in SimCity 4 and SimCity 4 Deluxe. I'm not sure if you have rush hour instead (which could be totally skewing things on my end), but perhaps that is part of the problem? The SimCity 4 folder is empty except for a dummy plugins file with a very sparse DAMN installation.

I hope it really is that easy, but I'm not holding my breath.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation