• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Thomas Diamond, not yet.

Regarding signalization/stop signs: traffic control props for intersections are a relatively low priority, and are not likely to be included in the final release of the mod--largely because everyone has very different opinions as to what should/should not be at an intersection.  On that front, I'd personally prefer to have "aftermarket" T21 mods to do that sort of stuff.

Oh, and to everyone here in the states, Happy Thanksgiving!

-Alex (Tarkus)

TEG24601

Quote from: j-dub on November 27, 2008, 08:34:25 AM
No! A Mercedes can stop on a dime at 80mph, but a freight truck certainly cant't going 70mph, 300ft before the intersection. So I hope there ain't 70mph highways with signals. Frankly, I don't want to either. As for the NWM, there are some texture similairities that really fit better with the new RHW, but there are not much traffic lights on that, yet, except for the TLA-3. It will be a long, long, long while.

While the speed limits of limited access routes with traffic signals are not often above 55/60 MPH (except for Montana) people routinely travel much faster than that, but the lights have extended yellow cycles and a delay between Red on the route and Green on the cross street.  This also doesn't take into account the "weirdness" that occurs when you are constructing such a route.  However, I agree with Alex that an Aftermarket mod would likely be best for this, as I know many people are using the RHW as a replacement for the Maxis Highways.

TEG

A200

will there ever be any type of toll booth functionality for RHW?

Swamper77

It can easily be done already. It's just no one has been bothered to make one. Making one for the RHW2 is easy as the RHW2 has two-way traffic, much like the Maxis Road network. For RHW4, custom paths will be needed to make traffic flow properly for the lot. In either case, the 15th Rep of a transit-enabled tile on the lot will have to be set to 0x0000000B to allow it to be placed on the RHW.

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

writingliberty

As for currently, you could put tollbooth(s) on an RHW route by downgrading a small stretch of it (I think you'd need about 6 tiles) to an Avenue, Road, or One-Way Road (depending on if you're using RHW-2 or RHW-4 and if it's seperated or not).

pagenotfound

hmmm... toll booths are a good idea. I might just have to make one  :D.

Anyway its good to know that toll booths can be made for RHW. :thumbsup:
Im back baby! Everybody do the Bendah!

bob56

on the top info post, where it says the dependencies for the RHW, The "NAM essentials" is colored white, so you can't see it unless you highlight it.
You can call me Grif

--Currently out of the office, will resume SC4 7/19

Monorail Master

Quote from: TEG24601 on November 27, 2008, 08:25:27 PM
While the speed limits of limited access routes with traffic signals are not often above 55/60 MPH (except for Montana) people routinely travel much faster than that, but the lights have extended yellow cycles and a delay between Red on the route and Green on the cross street.  This also doesn't take into account the "weirdness" that occurs when you are constructing such a route.  However, I agree with Alex that an Aftermarket mod would likely be best for this, as I know many people are using the RHW as a replacement for the Maxis Highways.

TEG

Man! If those lights did get included, when cars and trucks come to stop, I can't describe it. Just call the paramedics.

Quote from: pagenotfound on November 28, 2008, 09:04:14 AM
hmmm... toll booths are a good idea. I might just have to make one  :D.

Anyway its good to know that toll booths can be made for RHW. :thumbsup:

That toll booths for RHW is a very good idea. I'm trying to work on it, but it seems like you have to do a RHW to standard freeway conversion to just place a toll booth. :(
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination

Tarkus

Quote from: bob56 on November 28, 2008, 09:11:53 AM
on the top info post, where it says the dependencies for the RHW, The "NAM essentials" is colored white, so you can't see it unless you highlight it.

Well, that's me playing around there . . . you'll notice it doesn't give a month or year. ::)  RHW Version 2.0 does not require NAM Essentials, but Version 3.0 likely will. ;)

And as far as tollbooths go, tollbooths are lots, so they'll never be included in the actual RHW mod.  (Just like the NAM, the RHW does not include Lots.)  But I am considering taking the Maxis ones and at least making some for the RHW-2 and RHW-4.

-Alex (Tarkus)

nerdly_dood

About the traffic lights issue: On US460 westbound east of Roanoke, VA the road is a 4 lane divided highway. The road goes up over a hill, directly after which there is a traffic light. There is a large yellow "BE PREPARED TO STOP WHEN FLASHING" sign over the road near the top of the hill with lights that flash if the traffic light is red, yellow, or about to turn yellow, to warn traffic that there is an intersection ahead. I think the speed limit there is 45MPH, but it might be 55.

Similar signs are placed wherever a medium- to heavy-duty road approaches an intersection that can't be seen, but usually they're diamonds on the side and not placed above the road. The flashing warning lights are used only on heavy duty roads; a yellow diamond sign with a stop sign or traffic light icon is used to show the type of approaching intersection.

But the way SC4 roads are set up, this will likely be very difficult to pull off properly.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

Tarkus

Well, my plan with the signals, etc. is to just have a series of "T21 packs" for them, which will include a variety of different configurations, which you can use all simultaneously, if you so choose.  But of course, as Jan (Swamper77) correctly pointed out, they'll just end up being eyecandy due to the lack of stop point functionality on the RHW.

I'm not sure discussing signals here in this thread is really necessary now . . . Nexis' question is more than answered, and there's a reason this thread exists.   Can we change the topic now, please? ::) 

-Alex (Tarkus)

CasperVg

QuoteBut I am considering taking the Maxis ones and at least making some for the RHW-2 and RHW-4.
Psst.. I'm already working on those, using Mr Snoopy's Modern Tollbooths (STEX)
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

toxicpiano

Quote from: Tarkus on November 28, 2008, 10:44:46 AM
Can we change the topic now, please? ::) 

Maybe a nice little picture might change the topic swiftly  ;)
I find that alcohol, taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkenness.

shaylan221

Quote from: Tarkus on November 28, 2008, 02:05:23 PM
Excellent! :thumbsup:

It just might . . .

-Alex (Tarkus)

Ahhhhhhhhhhh...................... I can't take the suspense anymore! Please hurry and upload the baby. My patience is getting weaker second by second
Come check out my new exciting MD:

"The Life of a Tour Guide"

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=11351.0

deathtopumpkins

Well it did for me!  ;D

Few questions though that I can't remember the answer too:
1) Will there be RHW-2 curves in v3.0?
2) How about diagonal overpasses? (I can't find which page overpasses were talked about on...  &mmm)
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Pat

oooooooo now that has gotten me excited again!!!! Alex I cant wait for RHW v 3.0 is there any chance of a bribbery at all that I could get a copy lol, naw I am kidding I can wait.... If that is not one thing at I've learned here is that is patience is virtue well earned!!!!  :thumbsup:

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

toxicpiano

I find that alcohol, taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkenness.

j-dub

I recently built the new RHW-6 through 3 communities. Mostly freight trucks go to the border, and only 2% car traffic is using it. Currently the catch for this to have cars use it, is putting a giant U-turn under the arrows in order to get it to work.

blackedemon

Quote from: Tarkus on November 28, 2008, 10:36:39 AM
Well, that's me playing around there . . . you'll notice it doesn't give a month or year. ::)  RHW Version 2.0 does not require NAM Essentials, but Version 3.0 likely will. ;)

-Alex (Tarkus)

I cannot help but think that the RHW's release is to coincide with a new NAM.

Of course, this is most likely just my wishful thinking, but I haven't been able to disencumber this vibe for weeks.

Just putting my thoughts out there.