• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Principality Of Tantico Entry 36: The Rubic Incident: Nearing A Verdict!

Started by 89James89, April 10, 2013, 04:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

89James89

Replies:

vortext: Yes, scary stuff indeed. I'm glad you like the twist though. Hopefully it'll make further CJ/MD interaction possible and I'm glad you like the islands given how long it took to hand terraform them.

Entry 34: The Rubic Incident Part 2
Pedriana Plague

Well I'm back with the second part to our Rubic Incident. Currently talks have been ongoing regarding the state of welcome were too receive. So far no verdict has been reached but were relieved to know that we probably won't be 'terminated' (for lack of a better word).

Whilst they continue talks though the lock down on us is still in effect and as such we've been expanding our agriculture more and more to keep up with food demands, which, seeing as this lock-down doesn't seem to be likely to end in the next year, as Tanticoans are screened for viruses and any substances we may have brought with us that would adversely affect this new world.

Early on as the expansion to agriculture was decided on however we encountered a vast problem acorss the nation.

------------------

Looking at this picture it appears another problem has arose from the Rubic Incident.

As you wont be able to tell from looking at the image but what I can tell you for sure is that a lot of these farms were smaller than the huge silos they appear to be now.

this seemed to have been brought about by another tiny pocket of the warp that tore, just as the land did below Oldwood. This seemed to have caused a number of farm buildings to be replaced by these large silos in the style of Pedriana's Plants farming company.

Now you would be forgiven for thinking that this was a good thing but no. The duplications seem to be rather unstable and as a number of them across the region proceeded to collapse it was decided that most of them would be torn down and the material used to replace them with the old farm buildings.

As such several months later this is what the area shown above looked like.

Now with the silos removed farming resumed on Tantico. unfortunately one of the side effects of the whole 'nation needing more food' issue was that the existing farms were pressured into using all of the land available to them to continue farming. This had then led to disputes over land borders and was beginning to cause real issues in some farming communities. As such the newly formed Tantico Agricultural Department (TAD) advised that treelines be planted along farm boundaries effectively creating a easily identifiable border.

Eager to end the disputes a number of farmers took to this idea and planted trees around their land. These two images below shows this happening in another part of the Oldwood area

As you can see, the affects of the Rubic Incident seems to have been more wide spread than we initially thought. Hopefully we've got no more surprises to come though, especially with the whole screening still going on.

Anyway that's all for this small update. I'll make sure to keep you posted on our political situation but till then.

Jamie Felding.

(OOC: Again a slightly strange update but I wanted a reason to have replaced a number of the Pedriana Plant's in the region and also add some beautification in the form of the treelines. It's going to take a while until I've finished the process with all the tiles but I think the effort is worth it.

89James89

Entry 35: Rubic Incident: Intermission.

Well guys apparently were not far off a conclusion to the conferences being held between our nation and the ones of this new world, Earth. However I thought I'd just bring you a couple of random images to break up the wait for the final verdict, each showing a different style in the nation.

------------------

A more recent look at the football ground of Tantico United. Last time we were here this ground stood on the edge of the city and was surrounded by houses and several small shops.

Now however its a different story. With the games being popular the area around the grounds was eagerly snapped up by store owners and residential developers, redeveloping the area into what you can see today. A busy and lively area to spend time before and after the games.

----------------

Getting a bit more quieter now we take a look at Chilton Cemetery as the suns setting.

A lovely suburban image, this shows what the ever enlarging suburbs of the city look like as redevelopment spreads outwards.

----------------

Finally a coastline mosaic of the newest area of Tantico, Detnin Bay. Entirely rural with the exception of the small seaside village of Detnin, these farms were built in response to the growing food needs of the nation.

As you can see the village itself is rather small but has a large number of shops there. This is due to the new village becoming somewhat of a retreat for the urban dwellers with the quiet rural setting and the new view of islands off in the distance providing relaxation and intrigue for the Tanticoans (despite them not being able to sail or swim very far from the shore thanks to the quarantine).

------------------

And that's all for this small update. Hope you enjoyed it and as ever I'll make sure to keep you posted as things develop.

Till then

Jamie Felding

eldaldo

haha nice updates.  I hate those silos.  I downloaded a mod so that they don't grow in my region.  but you are doing the vanilla challenge which I applaud you for.  I like your new region.  I have a question though. . . .

How did you enlarge it?  I did this in the past with my region but it was a huge pain in the ass.  I had to make a new bmp and then individually import each city because if I tried to just enlarge the config bmp it would either glitch or only increase in size in two directions.  is that what you did? 

ParramattaPower

The shot on the beach is stunning. Achieving this level of realism with the vanilla Sim City is difficult at best and James, you accomplished this admirably. Inspiring work! Keep it up!

gn_leugim

great updates  &apls , I think I won't look at a rubic cube the same way again  ()sad()

vortext

time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

89James89

Replies:

eldaldo: Thanks and yer they can be annoying but I don't mind the odd couple and find uses for them elsewhere so its all good.

As for expanding the map I edited the config file by way of paint. As you said though that only allows you to go east and south, hence why Tantico has never grown westwards or Northwards It's kind of limiting and was one of the main reasons that Tantico became a island chain instead of the river delta it was but hey, terraforming a island chain is fun.

ParramattaPower: Thanks and I'm glad the images are coming across as realistic and your enjoying my vanilla adventures. I'm also happy you find it inspiring as I never thought my work would inspire others.

Thanks again and I hope you continue to pop in and say hi as we progress.

gn_leugim: Thanks, I'm glad your enjoying the farfetched Rubic Incident lol. As for the Rubic Cube my bad :D. At least all black ones are easy to solve  :P

vortext: Thanks I'm glad you enjoyed it. Mosaics are fun to make and great ways to show areas.

Entry 36: Rubic Incident: Nearing A Verdict

Well its with great relief that I can say that Earth has accepted us rudely barging into existence like this and the quarantine is soon to be removed. Apparently they're just finishing off final issues regarding our rights as a independent country and the question of whether we own any land as a nation, but other than that, its all good. In light of this, an emphasis has returned to continuing the Tantico Harbour Redevelopment Program.

As such this is what this entry focuses on. What is probably the largest reclamation so far in the redevelopment this area has given the cramped harbour some more breathing space and brought more larger but cleaner factories into the harbour.

As with stage two I'm showing a four stage time lapse of the redevelopment starting with showing  the area to be redeveloped.

Moving the old grungy businesses out we began filling in the water around the old shoreline, ending up with this, much larger area to work with.

Next up was the roads and parks. Funded by the Tensea Power Distribution company the small Tensea Green, can be seen here just before construction started on the surrounding factories.

Finally after a while the area was complete, larger cleaner factories having replaced the old dirty ones and empty spaces filled in with more parks in the hope of reducing the air and water pollution, the old industry created.

Finally for this update, here's a look at the redevelopment of the harbour so far, with the first three stages complete.

That's all for now though. Hopefully next time I'll be able to bring the update from a free and independent island nation, preparing its first steps into a new world.

Till then

Jamie Felding

ParramattaPower

What is the congestion like in Tantico Harbor James? I'm thinking that a subway may relieve some of the tightness in the streets, or the even cheaper more suitable transport to the environment, a bus route. I've constructed Industrial districts on the waterfront before and they can clog up faster than you can say 'cheese'.

Other than that, awesome to see some quick development of clean industry... ordinance changes maybe?

gn_leugim

that water pollution, it hurts my eyes just by seeing it!  :'( hopefuly I guess with these improvements air pollution has decreased  :)

SimCity V6