• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM: El-Rail over Avenue

Started by memo, March 08, 2013, 09:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

memo

Update December 20, 2013:

The El-Rail-Avenue and El-Rail-Road-4 networks are now available with the NAM 32 pre-release 1. There are still some gaps to fill regarding documentation – however, Ganaram (GDO29Anagram) made a video that shows how these new networks are used: [link].

Update November 12, 2013:

The voting has closed. As none of the options got a significant majority, both of them have been implemented.

Results of the poll:

• Option 1: 44 votes
• Option 2: 33 votes

Voting closed: March 15, 2013

The original post:

Currently, there is some discussion about a possible implementation of El-Rail over Avenue or Road-4. Before starting to implement anything you don't like, we would like to ask for your opinion. Please vote for the option you would like to have in the game. I would highly welcome any thoughts about pros and cons.

Specifically if you vote for option 1, please explain how you envision the setup of diagonal El-Rail-over-Avenue, and how to fill the space below the tracks.

Option 2 requires some interaction with the NWM, but not too much.

Thank you for your participation. Feel free to express other aspects, too.

Option 1: El-Rail over Avenue.

Option 2: El-Rail over Road-4.

(These are prototypes.)

rooker1

This has just made my day! ()stsfd()
You have my attention in either way you go.   I prefer El-Rail over Road-4, reminds me very much of Chicago and looks more realistic.  El-Rail over Avenue, looks okay and I can see us trying to place buildings under the lines.  In both circumstances I can see some really interesting possibilities for stations.

Robin :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

MandelSoft

I'd go for option 1, since I only know those setups as a reference. Also, RD-4 is virtually not present in the Netherlands, because it's considered to be unsafe.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

rooker1

Call me Robin, please.

art128

I don't vote for the moment, I need to make my decision.. EDIT - voted for Avenue

But for option A, isn't it possible to make some sort of allay / parks / parking just like the Parisian Aerial metro?

Sometime there are basketball parks, other time just walkway or these parking.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

rooker1

Oh, I like Arthur's pictures too.  This is too exciting for me....
Call me Robin, please.

metarvo

I have placed a tie on the tracks with a vote for Option 1.  Realistically, the width of diagonal AVE-4 is comparable (but not identical) to that of diagonal RD-4, unless the AVE-4 is divided ala GLR-in-AVE-4.  So, I imagine the implementation of diagonals would be similar for both.  It may just be a pipe dream, but I suggest that the ELR be over the center of the diagonal AVE-4.  Since a diagonal AVE-4 lacks any appreciable median space (much like the RD-4), it would almost certainly require the wide pylons shown in the Option 2 prototype picture.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Kitsune

I prefer el-rail over AVE-4 (isnt that the new name now-a-days? :))... mostly because I find myself all to often doing the owr-2 - el rail - owr-2 routine over and over again.
~ NAM Team Member

Durfsurn

Over AVE and that levels it again to 13 votes each. I think i would use it more as i use ave more than rd-4

TheAttendee

I really like the look of the RD4, but I'd imagine myself using the AVE4 version more. Tough choice, but I went with RD4 since it looks the most realistic.

Why not do both? (I mean eventually, of course)

Swordmaster

Because that's a lot of work (primarily), it means a bigger NAM, more networks, more IIDs used. It's no problem for something that's badly needed but there need to be limits somewhere. Let's just hope 50-50 is not the final vote outcome :D

I really like the RD-4 setup, because RD-4 is the more urban of the two, and EL rail is urban. AVE-4 feels more like a suburban network to me. And maybe it's just me but I like it a lot that you see those support beams.

Cheers
Willy

Wiimeiser

They're both fine. Do them both.

If you have to do one first, then the avenue, as we already have GLR-in-AVE...
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

kassarc16

Either one, though if I had to choose, RD-4 (it'd give me a chance to use it, as I usually stick with AVEs).

Patricius Maximus

I'd be fine with either one, but I'd prefer Elevated Rail over AVE-4 rather than RD-4. I think it looks more balanced, and you can do things with the median that you can't do with a RD-4, such as plants, stations, and/or parking lots. For diagonal El-Rail over AVE-4 I would envision something very similar to the current diagonal GLR-in-Avenue. For filling the median I would prefer to have a default median similar to normal AVE-4's, and have parking spaces as an additional option.

Piteri

Por que no Los dos?

But if I had to choose I'd choose RD-4 because I use way more road 4 in my cities.

Moonraker0

Although it's not an option, I'd personally prefer monorail in the AVE-4's median; monorails seem to often be built in avenue medians like that.  However, I suppose I prefer the AVE-4 implementation of elevated rail; it just seems to be a good idea to have the pylons in the median.  Regarding the diagonals, I think it would have to be like what Metarvo said, with the wide pylons over the diagonals.  Anyway, I'm really looking forward to being able to use this.

Andreas

Quote from: Moonraker0 on March 09, 2013, 12:11:41 PM
Although it's not an option, I'd personally prefer monorail in the AVE-4's median; monorails seem to often be built in avenue medians like that.

Yeah, that was exactly my thought when I saw those pictures. :) Monorail doesn't seem to have that many fans in the game, and there's just a handful of monorail station BATs available, but I always liked it as fast, futuristic transportation system.
Andreas

memo

Robin, I like your enthusiasm. ;D I had Chicago's El in mind as well, when I came up with the Road-4 variant.

However, by now I know that Option 1 apparently exists in RL too.

The current vote (33-23) is not too obvious and I haven't made my decision yet.

Yesterday, I worked out the details of implementation, and I can say it's going to be 'interesting' – both the implementation and the end product. It's going to make use of everything(!) I know about transit modding in SC4 (except for DBE trickery), and will be essentially different from El-Rail-over-Road.

Quote from: art128 on March 08, 2013, 10:10:01 AM
But for option A, isn't it possible to make some sort of allay / parks / parking just like the Parisian Aerial metro?

That would look good indeed. I will have to see whether it is feasible.

Quote from: metarvo on March 08, 2013, 11:23:20 AM
I have placed a tie on the tracks with a vote for Option 1.  Realistically, the width of diagonal AVE-4 is comparable (but not identical) to that of diagonal RD-4, unless the AVE-4 is divided ala GLR-in-AVE-4.

That's exactly the point of the matter. I have also considered the possibility of a divided diagonal like on Tram-in-Avenue when it comes to Option 1, so as to distinguish from Option 2. If somewhere in the future the missing Option were implemented as well eventually, the different diagonals would not be rendered superfluous.

Quote from: Moonraker0 on March 09, 2013, 12:11:41 PM
Although it's not an option, I'd personally prefer monorail in the AVE-4's median; monorails seem to often be built in avenue medians like that.

I like this idea too, but I prefer to extend the functionality and usability of El-Rail-over-Road-networks in the first place, as the groundwork is already in place.

noahclem

The road option got my vote--as Willy mentions it's got a much more urban look. In a perfect world it'd be nice to have parking on the side of the road where the shoulders/bikepaths/whatever are now, which would be even better if parked cars were T21ed in. I'm not sure where the best place for the supports would be. Robin's Chicago pic has a good look but it's a real hassle for driving. Maybe put the supports between the parking/shoulder and the traffic lanes? Just a couple of my thoughts. Exciting project  :thumbsup:

metarvo

If the divided diagonal route is taken, then it would make more sense IMO to have narrow pylons in the median as the wide pylons shown for Option 2 would no longer be wide enough.  The median could then be used for greenery, or maybe parking in ultra dense areas.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.