• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Quote from: Monorail Master on February 28, 2010, 11:33:48 AM
I'm just wondering. How's the progress on the other elevated networks?

If you're referring to Elevated Wider RHWs, there isn't any progress to report.  They will not be in Version 4.0, and at this point, we're mainly focusing on trying to get the stuff that will be up to a releasable state.

Quote from: Monorail Master on February 28, 2010, 11:33:48 AM
What about the same bug involving that and diagonal RHW-4s and vice-versa?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking here.  Are you referring to diagonal combinations of ERHW-4-over-RHW-4/MIS?  Those are planned for inclusion in puzzle piece form.

-Alex

rstarks

why is there no EL-RHW 2?

i've always wondered this

Tarkus

Quote from: rstarks on February 28, 2010, 02:52:33 PM
why is there no EL-RHW 2?

i've always wondered this

Because it hasn't been made yet.  There's only so much we can do--just give us time. :)

-Alex

kormer

Could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong here?  I'm trying to do a 90 degree turn with RHW-6s and for the life of me can't get the puzzle pieces to fit together.  Also, should I be able to drag my highway past the puzzle pieces, or do I need to lay down another starter piece after them? Nevermind, I'm dumb and this was in the faq.

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/396/rhw6scurve.jpg

Monorail Master

Quote from: Tarkus on February 28, 2010, 12:41:59 PM
If you're referring to Elevated Wider RHWs, there isn't any progress to report.  They will not be in Version 4.0, and at this point, we're mainly focusing on trying to get the stuff that will be up to a releasable state.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking here.  Are you referring to diagonal combinations of ERHW-4-over-RHW-4/MIS?  Those are planned for inclusion in puzzle piece form.

-Alex

I'm reffering to that. And thanks for answering that :)
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination

j-dub

Dubscovery! This just in Dub City! Full Functioning Wider RHW connection! And you can too!

After a lot of time not telling anyone about this, I finally was able to get a wider RHW, the 6s to successfully carry commuting cars each direction.

18. How do I make Neighbor Connections with the Wider RHWs?

Well, here is how I got my Neighbor Connection to work: Step 1: You draw a regular avenue connection, 2 tiles straight away from the edge, make sure your given the yellow arrow so you can continue. Step 2: draw a rail crossing over the avenue right over the arrows. Step 3: place a rail over avenue puzzle piece right where you drew the avenue x rail crossing. Step 4: demolish just the avenue u turn. The rail overpass should automatically disappear. You will now have 2 rail stubs. Now draw the rail from the one stub to the other stub. Step 5: now that the rail is drawn, place a rail over RHW piece over each arrow. Step 6: Carefully demolish the rail ends on each side of that overpass, they shall now disappear. The existing neighbor connection arrows should hover over the RHW 2, and face both directions. Step 7: drag in, not out, the RHW towards the city 5 tiles in on each side. You can now place a wider RHW puzzle piece like 6s, or 8. Put the simulator into play, and eventually the connection shall allow cars to leave.

The best part is, the current public release RHW allows this. While we still have not yet figured out how to keep the neighbor connection info, the neighbor connection, in itself at least works and carries cars. As for splitting the wider RHW's up, that will need further research, and potentially puzzle piece development. Otherwise, RHW 6s, 8, and 10 must be built Maxis avenue style to work. Hopefully, this is one less thing Alex has to worry about now.

Remember who discovered this, and the place you saw it first. :P

danielra96

j-dub

Theres more. The RHW8-can too.

According to the query (not picture) there are 872 cars leaving, and they use all lanes, as well as the buses prefer taking the RHW in addition to freight trucks who always use it out. EDIT-refer to above post.

MandelSoft

Brilliant! Simply brilliant! Maybe we should add this method to the FAQ's, J-dub  ;)
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

j-dub

Exactly right, it should be FAQ-ed off, but I still need to come up with visuals first. Sadly, I don't have that much time. Maybe I'll just make a video, which will end up in the NAM video tutorials section as SC4D will always have dibs from me, the only SC4-rum I have time for.

metarvo

I'm going to play around with this one for sure.  Anything that involves neighbor connections gets my vote!  :thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

SimNation

All hail J-dub Arch Duke of RHW Discoveries  "$Deal"$

McDuell

This is really ingenious, congratulations j-dub!  :thumbsup:

I couldn't stop trying this myself, and in the meantime I've found another solution to lay down the connection, which works fine in my cities. However, this solution is dependent on persistent starter pieces.
1. Draw an Avenue connection.
2. Draw a rail crossing over the avenue at the arrows.
3. Demolish the Av U-turn -> the rail crossing gets destroyed too, leaving the connection arrows.
4. Demolish the rail stubs
5. Use RHW starter pieces and place them directly over the arrows, right at the city border. Be sure that you leave them in place afterwards.
6. Draw RHW from starter pieces.

I have tested this connection using RHW6s and RHW6c, but I believe that it'll work with any type of RHW.

Edit:
While watching j-dub's video tutorial, I saw that he already simplified his method, making my post obsolete. (= may be deleted if necessary)
----------------
It's redundant, it's redundant. (R.E. Dundant)
----------------

Wilfried

First of all, thank you for discovering this.

Well, I just did something similiar. However, in order to get a true 4-tile wide RHW-8/RHW-10 connection, I build TWO parallel avenue connections and put the rail-over-avenue puzzle pieces over the arrows, then demolished the avenues, then demolished the INNER arrows, then rebuild a single CENTER avenue connection, then again put a rail-over-avenue puzzle piece over the arrows, and then demolished the avenue, resulting in having TWO arrows in each direction, just as if an 8-lane avenue would have been connected...

Then, I put the RHW-10 starter pieces on the arrows and connected the RHW-10 with my road network. Basically, I started a dual RHW-4 coming from a roundabout (central avenue with one-ways on either side) which got merged into 4 lanes in each direction (RHW-8) and then expanded to ten lanes. I could have left it an 8-lane network but I wanted to go the more sophisticated way, for show-off reasons... ;D

Now, since there are two connection arrows in each direction, one might expect two functional connections in each direction and thus traffic to really use all ten lanes, as opposite to j-dub's picture where one can clearly see traffic merging onto the inner lanes, just where the actual connection is. But it wouldn't. See for yourselves:

Here, traffic is merging just the same way as in j-dub's picture. Furthermore, evening commute back home shows another interesting effect:

Yes, they're coming from the opposite roadway, WRONG WAY. :D
So there is much room for research, as one can clearly see.

figui

first forums inhabitant from Uruguay..   first forums citizen from Uruguay..  first forums councilman from Uruguay..   first forums mayor from Uruguay..  first forums governor from Uruguay..
...i'm still the only one from Uruguay!

________

Tarkus

Finally fixed the one draggable ERHW overpass planned for 4.0 that was giving me fits . . .

-Alex

Glazert

I have Left-Hand Drive and I am happy to confirm that J-Dub's ingenious method for RHW Neighbor Connections seems to work with LHD as well as RHD. I have tried it out switching a number of times between the cities on either side of the connection and it seems to persist over time.

Freight leaves each city by RHW and none comes in on the other side but I think this is not to do with the RHW connection but with the general way SC4 treats freight as being shipped out of a city but not actually shipped anywhere.

I still have to try some of the wider RHW on LHD, but I have no reason to believe that it won't work the same as for RHD for them as well.

This is a really neat dodge, even if it does have an air of "place the wishbone of a young chicken on the boundary; place a stick on it; pick up the wishbone and break it with your little fingers, then replace the two pieces of the wishbone at the border".

Nucleofiel

I was just needing the 6 lanes piece in one of my most busiest highways, great discovery :thumbsup:

I hoped the RHW 4.0 release was yesterday, one year after 3.2, but unfortunately not:(
Keep the good job up, 4.0 is going to be a infrastructual evolution for my region;)

Glazert

I have been experimenting with RHW Neighborhood Connections using J-Dub's method on wider RHWs which use two tiles in each direction. What I am aiming for is RHWs which show as RHW right to the city edge and which show matching directional arrows in the neighboring city so that RHWs can be connected up continuously between cities. I am struggling a bit on this. I can easily get RHWs in one city showing two adjacent tiles in each direction if I leave a one tile gap between directions. But when I switch to the other direction the arrows don't match up. I am going to keep trying, but at the moment I am only being fully successful with RHW connections which are one tile in each direction - that is good, but it would be nice to get the RHW 8 and 10 connecting properly as well.

UPDATE:
Thanks to (re)discovering on the menu the rail over RHW 8 and 10 pieces I can get RHW connections two adjacent tiles each direction right up to city edge without having to have a tile gap between the directions, but I am still having problems getting arrows matching up when I switch to the neighboring city. Worth exploring further.

Supertim12000

Will there be some 1 lane curve puzzle pieces and stuff for the next RHW?