• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Translation

Started by Quesh, January 08, 2008, 03:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quesh

Hello, everybody!

Sorry for my English is far from perfect  &mmm

I post here to ask if there is a French version of the NAM?
If not, I would like to translate all menus, from what I saw it just to translate the file "NetworkAddonMod_Locale_english.dat" in french, is that correct?

I ask if I have the right to do so and then to propose that translation on the site TSC?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

RippleJet

That would be excellent, Quesh! :thumbsup:
When you've translated all LTEXT files, send them to Andreas so that he can include them in an update for the NAM (and give the LTEXT file Group ID's correct offset values).

Quesh

Thank you for your answer so fast :thumbsup:
I will try to do all these things ;)

To avoid making problems, I prefer to ask. Regarding "LTEXT file Group ID's offset values" I just change the number of "Group" in the file "NetworkAddonMod_Locale_english.dat" ie 2 numbers surrounded? :

Can I put any numbers?

Thanks again for your answsers.

RippleJet

Quote from: Quesh on January 08, 2008, 05:49:43 AM
Can I put any numbers?

No! $%Grinno$%

If you want to change the Group ID's yourself, you need to read and understand this:
LTEXT - Language Text Files (How to make multilingual buildings and queries)

For the French language LTEXT files all Group ID's need to be increased by 0x03:

0xA92A02EA would become 0xA92A02ED
0xCBE084CB would become 0xCBE084CE
0x2A592FD1 would become 0x2A592FD4

and so on...

Quesh

Thanks !!

In fact I thought too, I saw this post, but I had apparently not understand ;D

You only need to add the number by 3 in the scientific calculator hexadecimal, as I understand it?
I have to adjust the numbers on Ltex file and on DIR file?

Thanks again ;)

Andreas

It's not really necessary to give the group IDs an offset - if you don't install the English language plugin, or name the French one in a way that makes it loaded after the English one, the game will use the French LTEXT files. :)

There used to be a French translation in one of the previous NAM Versions that was distributed at ToutSimCity, but I don't know who translated it (maybe Fukuda?) and if it was complete. I can also build a French installer, if you provide me with French language strings for the text on the optional components page. PM me with your e-mail address, then I can send you the installer script, along with some explanations how to translate it.
Andreas

RippleJet

Quote from: Andreas on January 08, 2008, 06:40:38 AM
It's not really necessary to give the group IDs an offset - if you don't install the English language plugin, or name the French one in a way that makes it loaded after the English one, the game will use the French LTEXT files. :)

But this could be the first step into making NAM fully multilingual! ::)

Quesh

Okay !! Thanks, It is less work ;D
The simplest example is to put in the same folder as "NetworkAddonMod_Locale_english.dat" a file named "z_NetworkAddonMod_Locale_french.dat" ;)
If I translate this file I could put it on for free download from TSC?

There used to be a French translation in one of the previous NAM Versions that was distributed at ToutSimCity, but I don't know who translated it (maybe Fukuda?) and if it was complete.

Yes Fukuda had made a translation on TSC : here
But the release was in December 2006

I can also build a French installer, if you provide me with French language strings for the text on the optional components page. PM me with your e-mail address, then I can send you the installer script, along with some explanations how to translate it.

Yes why not !!
It would be interesting  :)

Rocco Litencourt

Ok, I know we need to understand LTEXT, but there are many people who know other languages, but a few know LTEXT, SO, I have an idea, why don't we make a group for translate the custom items? One translate the terms, the other makes the LTEXT... I think it's a nice idea. What about you?

Andreas

You don't need any special knowledge for dealing with LTEXT files. Just open a DAT in the reader and click on the "LTEXT" entry in the file list. Then translate the text that shows up in the right part of the window, hit "Apply" and proceed to the next LTEXT file. Once you're done, save the DAT under a different filename. :)
Andreas