• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RAM Request Thread

Started by CasperVg, February 10, 2008, 12:49:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow Assassin

The closest thing, I suppose, to the RAM would have to be the FARR. :P
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Streetlight 725

Glazert

FARR = Fractional Angle Rail Road

It is not released yet, but is being developed in the Three Rivers Region project, and there have been exciting new developments over the last few pages: see link .

Floydian

Not sure if this has been suggested, but if it has then please direct me to a response.

Regarding the single railroad tracks, the puzzle pieces (With exception of the starter pieces) cannot be plopped over existing railroads (Single track or not). The section where this piece goes in must be clear of track. Further, the draggable ends of these pieces (The wide angle curves, s bends) are double track rather than single track.

This makes it impossible to have wide angle curves less than 2 squares apart (And even then you must use a starter piece with its slightly off texture). Any way to either make them ploppable over other tracks (As is the case with the double track), or to make the ends of the pieces single rail instead of double?

CaptCity

Quote from: Floydian on March 17, 2009, 04:57:04 PM
Not sure if this has been suggested, but if it has then please direct me to a response.

Regarding the single railroad tracks, the puzzle pieces (With exception of the starter pieces) cannot be plopped over existing railroads (Single track or not). The section where this piece goes in must be clear of track. Further, the draggable ends of these pieces (The wide angle curves, s bends) are double track rather than single track.

This makes it impossible to have wide angle curves less than 2 squares apart (And even then you must use a starter piece with its slightly off texture). Any way to either make them ploppable over other tracks (As is the case with the double track), or to make the ends of the pieces single rail instead of double?

While it would be nice to have the STR pieces able to be plopped on top of existing rail (don't know if it's possible or not), in most cases I have been able to plop the curve pieces so that the ends will lie on top of the ends of other pieces (and convert dual ends to STR) without any space between. The only case I haven't been able to do this is with a couple of the switch branches. For cases where it is not possible, you can use the filler pieces (straight or diagonal) found later in the menu rather than the starter pieces. Just a thought...

Also (to the powers that be), while I'm here, while playing around with the STR, I came across a situation where I could have used a piece that I guess could be called a 'Dual Splitter'... Something like this that was made for the RHW where the 2-lane RHW split into two separate MIS routes...

Would it be possible (or even realistic) to make a piece where the dual tracks split into two STR tracks? Just wondering...

Thanks,
CaptCity

mightygoose

i would like to second the request of the above splitter, but also request a STR or DTR wide radius switch going to parallel but having a single tile gap between the two tracks. just means we can have much smoother transition around our stations and things. also a wide radius double switch or even a switch to FARR.... a few things there.... just what sprung to mind
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

north country dude

Quote from: mightygoose on March 18, 2009, 03:24:13 AM
i would like to second the request of the above splitter, but also request a STR or DTR wide radius switch going to parallel but having a single tile gap between the two tracks. just means we can have much smoother transition around our stations and things. also a wide radius double switch or even a switch to FARR.... a few things there.... just what sprung to mind

And,...

Quote from: CaptCity on March 17, 2009, 08:02:40 PM
While it would be nice to have the STR pieces able to be plopped on top of existing rail (don't know if it's possible or not), in most cases I have been able to plop the curve pieces so that the ends will lie on top of the ends of other pieces (and convert dual ends to STR) without any space between. The only case I haven't been able to do this is with a couple of the switch branches. For cases where it is not possible, you can use the filler pieces (straight or diagonal) found later in the menu rather than the starter pieces. Just a thought...

Also (to the powers that be), while I'm here, while playing around with the STR, I came across a situation where I could have used a piece that I guess could be called a 'Dual Splitter'... Something like this that was made for the RHW where the 2-lane RHW split into two separate MIS routes...

Would it be possible (or even realistic) to make a piece where the dual tracks split into two STR tracks? Just wondering...

Thanks,
CaptCity

I had originally designed some of the types of puzzle pieces both of you are describing and posted them to the development section,...I'm thinking that they will be in later updates to the RAM,...keep in mind that we didn't stop development with just the STR version of the RAM,...more stuff is in the works.
"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain, and most fools do. But it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving." -Dale Carnegie

dedgren

Quick and dirty...

Are these what we're looking for?

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

mightygoose

DTR - splitter - orthogonal - adjacent -  :thumbsup:
DTR - splitter - orthogonal - diagonal -  :thumbsup:
DTR - splitter - orthogonal - separated -
DTR - splitter - orthogonal - FARR -

Good work David, much, much, appreciated.

dedgren

...and another one down, and another one down
                another one bites the dust...

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

dedgren

Oh, and to answer Floydian's question:

QuoteThis makes it impossible to have wide angle curves less than 2 squares apart (And even then you must use a starter piece with its slightly off texture). Any way to either make them ploppable over other tracks (As is the case with the double track), or to make the ends of the pieces single rail instead of double?

No need, my friend.  Buried way back in your STR menu (the easiest way to get there is to [ shift ]-[ tab ]) there is a 1x1 ortho filler piece.  When you have one of those small gaps

choose the ortho filler and position your cursor over the "dual rail" end of the wide curve puzzle piece.

Plop.  Repeat as needed.

The dual rail tabs I'm afraid we may be stuck with.  As you can see, though, they aren't any issue.

Oh, there's a diagonal STR filler piece, too.

Good luck!

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Jonathan

it was decided to not have starter pieces at the end of all the puzzle pieces because this would hurt the slopes.

But you can still put a starter in there if you want.

Plop the puzzle piece, then select the STR Starter piece and plop like this:

Then delete the tile of the starter that looks a bit funny

Then you can drag from the straight tile that is still there from the starter:

But you can place curves back to back anyway.

Hopefully that will help a bit?

Jonathan

mightygoose

Quote from: dedgren on March 18, 2009, 11:56:12 AM

David

ah great but I meant DTR - 2 DTR

CaptCity

Quote from: dedgren on March 18, 2009, 10:57:24 AM
Quick and dirty...

Are these what we're looking for?

Quote from: dedgren on March 18, 2009, 11:56:12 AM

Those would be and will be perfect. Great work.

-CaptCity

dedgren

Here's the way, now that I understand, John, to accomplish your third wish.

The fourth I'm still unclear about.

As this is the RAM request thread, and now that the STR SET 1 and all the new dual track wide curves and switches are out, does anyone want to start working on a list for new puzzle pieces.  My guess is that a new release of stuff would be doable by late summer, with an open beta sometime before that.  As I pretty much worked all the way through the grand plan I had, new things are more or less up to whatever you folks would suggest.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

nekseb

First: All to who made this puzzletiles for SC4 - Thank You &apls You've done a great work!

Is it possible to make a switch to be used as connection between two DTR whitout space between?
I don't need to know everything, I only need to know someone who knows!

letum aut libertas

mightygoose

is my third wish in the current RAM David? my forth is basically a ortho to 87degree FARR split, or just a 18 to 87 90 curve....

i would be more than happy to knock up a bare bones list for perusal by the masses....

miggoycor

Since this is the request thread, I request an elevated freight station for the elevated heavy rail puzzle pieces. There just aren't any! Can someone make one? Please?
φ    =    1+√(5)
                ---------

≈ 1.6180339887

wes.janson

Quote from: miggoycor on March 20, 2009, 11:27:25 PM
Since this is the request thread, I request an elevated freight station for the elevated heavy rail puzzle pieces. There just aren't any! Can someone make one? Please?

I think someone from the SFBT is working on one. I am pretty sure Andreas posted a pic in a thread not too long ago.

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

noahclem

Is the focus of RAM still pretty much on STR or are other things currently being developed as well? It would be great to see a puzzle piece with two parallel orthagonal-to-diagonal wide radius curve pieces. I'm trying to incorporate a couple of Ill Tonkso's larger stations (probably St. Pancras) into my CBD and it would be nice to have more aesthetic and realistic curves for the several lines of track leaving the terminus. I love the way two or three immediately adjacent diagonal sets of tracks look but the current wide radius curves don't allow a good transitions into or out of those diagonal stretches. Any thoughts, input, or information on the subject? As always, thanks to everyone making these projects happen!