• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RAM Request Thread

Started by CasperVg, February 10, 2008, 12:49:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

superhands

Quote from: Andreas on March 13, 2008, 02:34:50 AM
Looking good so far! In order to let the automata pass the lot, you need to drag with the rail tool inside the station, so the paths get activated. This has to be done with all TE lots, even the Maxis ones.

I tryed this but still no trains crossing the tracks! could it be to do with the entrance to the lot in TE? the entrance/exit has "00". just like morifaris(spelling)

superhands

anyway, to keep this thread moving along, i'd like to request a rail to subway transition (converting rail to subway networking then back to rail) also separate the ram to feature el-rail brick texture mod and normal/orignal textures

dragonshardz

please no double posts and there already is a rail-to-subway transition by NDEX on the STEX.

ExplodingSims

Well, I'm not sure if this is possible, but how about a bridge with 2 rail sets on it.
Is it possible to do this?   

dragonshardz

Please explain it sounds interesting.

~~Dragonshardz~~

ExplodingSims

Well, What I was asking about goes like this:
When you lay rail lines, you get 2 one going in each Dierection
So what I propose is a bridge with 2 sets of rails on it, Like so  ______
                                                                                    ______
                                                                                    ______
                                                                                    ______
Each Line Represents 1 track, and so their would be 4 tracks on on bridge.
As of now, bridges can only be made with one set on them, and bridges can't be laid side by side, I was hoping someone would know how to do this.

Orange Julius

Awesome! I've always wanted a project like this! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Besides aforementioned single railroads, one thing that's kind of bothered me is that trains should come in random cars and car numbers. I'd like Avenue crossings to be more realistic (with the crossbucks and all) and above all, something should be done to increase the realism.

One of the things that has bothered me (et. others) in SimCity is that while cars slowly move around at decent speeds and make noises, short trains rattle through tracks, almost like a model railroad. I live about a mile or so away from the rails and I know when I train is coming. The floor shakes and the train blows a loud, proud whistle when approaching a railroad crossing. A mild "ding-ding-ding" can be heard from the railroad crossings.

(side note: my cousin installed a real train horn on his ATV...it's freakin' loud when he comes over!)

Finally, in terms of cars, I've seen trains go from about 10 or so up to nearly 100.

Thanks for such a GREAT idea!
Gone now...

Diggis

How are you guys going with this?

Orange Julius

One thing I forgot to mention last time is a speed variable as well. Some trains can chug through an area like mad, while others go really s l o w l y. This would play a role in a situation like so...

An avenue crosses a railroad, and people regularly use the Avenue as their way of getting places. However, it's also a busy railway and many slow, long trains let traffic jams pile up like mad. The solution of course is to get a overpass over the area. It doesn't stop the poor rural Sims that live on roads that have to cross the railroad (with no way out otherwise)
Gone now...

Diggis

unfortunatly we can't do different speeds on the same network.

ExplodingSims

I should mention that I can't BAT, so if someone wants to take on the bridge project, let the public know.

RebaLynnTS

To my knowledge, 2 tile wide, dragable rail bridges can not be done (at this time).
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

yoshiisland2

Quote from: Orange Julius on April 14, 2008, 02:28:00 PM
One thing I forgot to mention last time is a speed variable as well. Some trains can chug through an area like mad, while others go really s l o w l y. This would play a role in a situation like so...

An avenue crosses a railroad, and people regularly use the Avenue as their way of getting places. However, it's also a busy railway and many slow, long trains let traffic jams pile up like mad. The solution of course is to get a overpass over the area. It doesn't stop the poor rural Sims that live on roads that have to cross the railroad (with no way out otherwise)

If that's the case, then you're networks are getting over-congested, and you need to upgrade to a double-tile (in the game, 4-track) line, and consider mass transit etc.  Because you can't do speed variables for the same network tile like on a puzzle piece, as diggis said. ;)

ExplodingSims

Quote from: RebaLynnTS on April 15, 2008, 04:15:28 PM
To my knowledge, 2 tile wide, dragable rail bridges can not be done (at this time).
BLAST!!!! Seriously....Would it be possible to make a plop version?
And what is "At this Time" Imply?

jplumbley

Quote from: ExplodingSims on April 17, 2008, 06:36:53 PM
BLAST!!!! Seriously....Would it be possible to make a plop version?
And what is "At this Time" Imply?

It is not possible wthout breaking the law, meaning unless the source code is released to the public, and EA has a bad track record with that, then this will not happen.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

Jonathan

Isn't it legal to modify the EXE, but illegal to distrubute it in any way?
So if a person with sufficient knowledge modified the EXE, took it to MAXIS/EA, then we would have a better chance of getting that EXE releasable for free or not. We could really do with Buggi as he had ties to MAXIS, which allowed us to get the ExtraCheat dll.

RebaLynnTS

(At this time) ... There are 2 possibilities here ...
1. Someone finds a way to make 2 tile wide bridges, we did not know exited before.
2. EA gives someone permission to make changes to the EXE and distribute it (would not hurt to write to them and ask).

ok, there is a third ...
3. Someone changes and distributes the exe, and hopes EA don't notice :)
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

Jonathan

I don't understand this EXE illegal thing. And I don't want to get into a legal argument or anything.

But there are sites that have no-CDs EXEs, these legal as long as you own the hard copy of the game and have it in your possession. Some of these sites are pretty well known, so someone from some game company must know about them, and they have not been shutdown. Can we not do the same thing except instead of having a No-CD crack, it is a two-tile-wide-bridge crack or whatever.

I just find this confusing how one group of people can release a modified EXE but another group [more friendly-with EA/MAXIS/Whatever] can't? To me it just doesn't make sense.

jplumbley

Quote from: Warrior on April 18, 2008, 10:10:50 AM
I don't understand this EXE illegal thing. And I don't want to get into a legal argument or anything.

But there are sites that have no-CDs EXEs, these legal as long as you own the hard copy of the game and have it in your possession. Some of these sites are pretty well known, so someone from some game company must know about them, and they have not been shutdown. Can we not do the same thing except instead of having a No-CD crack, it is a two-tile-wide-bridge crack or whatever.

I just find this confusing how one group of people can release a modified EXE but another group [more friendly-with EA/MAXIS/Whatever] can't? To me it just doesn't make sense.

I am no lawyer, but as far as I have been told by others.  It is illegal to modify copyright protected EXE files.  Of course noone would know if you did it and kept it for yourself, and EA/MAXIS probably wouldnt care.  The problem is SC4 is still protected and is still selling well.  EA/MAXIS would not allow the EXE to be distributed for a game that is still selling well.  No-CD cracks are illegal unless you have written permission from the manufacturer to create one as far as I am aware.  Warez sites, etc generally have tracking devices inside the No-CD cracks they provide which is a violation of the Privacy Act and could be considered malicious activity.  The reason Warez sites exsit though is because people want programs for free, and there is high demand for it, whether it is legal or not.

Yes we *could* modify the EXE but noone who knows how is willing to do it to release publically because of the consequences that could arise.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

Jonathan

What I'm trying to say is, these sites are obviously known by people in authority/game developers/distrubutors/etc, how come no legal action has been taken against them and the sites closed down.

I'm not talking about the sites which let people download the whole game for free, but the ones which just have the EXE, and the EXE is useless for playing the game on it's own, it needs the other files that come on the CD.