• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Bicycling Questions

Started by Gaston, April 23, 2008, 06:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaston

Okay gang,
   I know there are some avid cycling fans on this site*, so I have a question or two.     I am thinking of getting a recumbent trike.   I know a bicycle is the only way to go...   BUT, with my bad back, I have a very difficult time with a regular bike right now.    I have one and never ride it because it is painful.   I think a recumbent would be a fantastic way to get to work and save gas.   They are not cheap, so any imput about them would be welcomed.     If you ride one, know anyone that rides one or even have one to sell.  (LOL)   Let me know what you think.

---Gaston

* yes I was thinking of you Tea Cat    ;)
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

SC4BOY

Recumbants are cool.. why do you want a bike (not being nosey.. the answer is pretty key) .. do you just casually ride?.. do you want exercise? are you wanting to crosscountry? etc etc.. keep in mind that bicycles are lousy forms of exercise.. (they are way too efficient) and also keep in mind that recumbants are VERY HARD for motorists to get through their thick head that you are visible.. :( .. they are probably the least visible of all forms of transport you could come up with..

TheTeaCat

GET ONE

You'll love it :D :D

Just saw your post before heading off to work Gaston.
Not enough time to reply now but I will add a thought or too for you later. :D :D

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Gaston

Quote from: SC4BOY on April 23, 2008, 06:46:43 PM
Recumbants are cool.. why do you want a bike (not being nosey.. the answer is pretty key) .. do you just casually ride?.. do you want exercise? are you wanting to crosscountry? etc etc.. keep in mind that bicycles are lousy forms of exercise.. (they are way too efficient) and also keep in mind that recumbants are VERY HARD for motorists to get through their thick head that you are visible.. :( .. they are probably the least visible of all forms of transport you could come up with..

A bit of each of these reasons actually.   Plus I was thinking of using it for transportation to work.   Even if I only ride a couple of days a week I'd save a bunch of gas.   When I was in college I rode several hours a day so the more I ride the more I will ride.    I'm thinking recumbent because of the back issues.

There is a huge cross country ride here in Iowa called Ragbrai [ linkie ].   Perhaps in a year or so I could be in shape enough to ride in that.     I have several friends that do it every year.    It is supposed to be a blast.  It ends not far from my house.

---Gaston
白龍

WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

TheTeaCat

Gaston

My apologies for not replying sooner.

Ok the way I see it is from your comments regarding your back a recumbant is definitely the way to go.

You will find that once you have gotten used to the riding position you wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
I noticed you said "trike" but I really would not go that route $%Grinno$%.

You see a trike takes up more room on the road and is not nearly so maneuverable in traffic.
granted you are no nearly so visible as you are on a regular bike but with some of the HiViz products these days and
the advances in light technology and one of those wavy little flags on a pole that is not such a major factor as it used to be.

I say go for a recumbant BIKE.
Here you have many options - long or short wheelbase

short wheelbase means a more sitting position + long wheelbase  more reclined position or even on your front.

Take into account storage of the bike too. ( clever trick -hang it from the ceiling by the front wheel  :thumbsup: )

Do some good research on the internet, get checked by a doc / chiropractor and once you do get it
start out somewhere safe :thumbsup: you need space to get used to the handling, even go so far as to lay out obstacles
for practice. If you can do it on a normal bike - you can do it on a recumbant

then of course there are the other benefits

you save gas   :thumbsup:
you don't get caught in traffic snarls  :thumbsup:
its cheaper to maintain a bike than a gas guzzling behemoth  :thumbsup:
it improves your fitness :thumbsup:
its fun  :thumbsup:
its so much much faster than a normal bike  :thumbsup:
did I say
and
its so much faster uphill  :thumbsup:
yes you read that right hills are even easier :o

Yes   ::)

easier going uphill  :D :D  :thumbsup:

and you can go everywhere a normal bike can  :thumbsup:

and you sleep better :thumbsup:

and its good for the environment  :thumbsup:

And another 100+ reasons which I'll list if you really want me too but I'll guess you get about oooh say  ...75 straight off  :thumbsup:
Think logically and latterly  ::)

The Bad  &mmm
You may get wet in the rain :thumbsdown:
You may need a shower when you get to your destination  &mmm

But you be relaxed,fitter,more alert to do your job

(and knowing you got a nice ride home when all your colleague's are about to get caught in that tail up
everyone's been talking about all afternoon )

And after a year you'll be more than fit enough to attempt that ride (300 miles approx  in 7 days with full support - easy  :D :D )
I can guarantee you,  that all your mates will be glad to have you along on the ride :thumbsup:

Go on
go for it
Get yourself one

you won't regret it.

And of course saving the best bit till the end.

The cuppa you have when you get home   aaaaaahhhhhhhh Blisss

Hope this helps

Happy cycling

Derry

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"

Gaston

Thanks Tea Cat,

I knew I would get some great words of encouragement from you.    ;D    I am deffinately doing my research.    I think I have bookmarked 20 or 30 sites so far.    The more I look into it the more I am determined to do this.     Thanks again.

---Gaston
白龍

freedo50

MOD EDIT: I removed SC4Boy's unnecessary and frankly childish post.

Fred

TheTeaCat

Thanks Freedo :thumbsup:

I'd just like to add  ;)

If anybody needs advice,encouragement,tips regarding cycling just ask  :thumbsup:

It may take me a bit to answer but I will and remember every mile you cycle adds 2 mins to your life  :D :D

2 mins per mile ()what() 
that means I'll live till I'm 167  eek  :D :D :D

:satisfied:
TTC

edit: Gaston - Hows your research going ?

SC4BOY

Quote from: freedo50 on May 12, 2008, 12:37:19 PM
MOD EDIT: I removed SC4Boy's unnecessary and frankly childish post.

Fred

Ya know I don't even recall specifically what I said, but whatever it was it could not POSSIBLY have been any more childish than your little "editorial" in your "mod work" .. if you don't like what I said, feel free to remove it but to make a silly comment like that when you do it is frankly silly, if not insulting.. and we aren't talking about a weighty subject here, after all .. in all likelyhood the best thing to have done is left it alone.. I can assure you it was not insulting or belittling to others, whatever I said.

wouanagaine

MOD Edit : Issue close, move on, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT QUESTIONNING ANY MOD ACTION
It is like a referee action in any sports game, it can be right, it can be wrong, be you acknowledge to not have to question it !

If you want continue on that matter, please feel free to PM the mod and Admins

~Wouanagaine~
Global Moderator

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

Unassigned

Gaston, you might want to consider a Pedersen bike. It's a smooth ride due to the unique saddle construction (flexible leather saddle hanging in an elastic strap) and the upright position of the rider is very back-friendly. Not the fastest of bikes though. Hand-built, not cheap but a very fine machine.

PS (trivia): Note user #3 from the top won the Eurovision Song Contest a few years ago, how's that for bling?
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination