• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haljackey

May as well post this here:

http://www.youtube.com/v/ixpjNtKXj3g

More info and HD playback via Youtube. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixpjNtKXj3g

RHW/RHW interchanges can be a lot more compact with 5.0, unlike the mod's predecessors which took up mammoth amounts of space.

(I find that UDI videos are the best way to showcase large interchanges.)

MandelSoft

Paving the way for the Euro RHW textures... (pun fully intended)

Currently, this is all that's already functional in-game. I have more ready in InkScape.

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Girafe

Looks amazing Maarten, where did you get this barriers- private stuff?
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

io_bg

Looks cool! However why the Euro textures have wider lanes than the American ones? Won't it be better if their width is the same?
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Dexter

Ohh the euro textures look great...

It's a pity that I hadn't read this before I started making euro versions of the default textures  :):

I've already completed all of the RHW-2, MIS, RHW-4 & RHW-6S, so I figure I might as well do the lot - If anyone thinks it's worth it anyway I can release them as an alternative.
Why does one park on a driveway, and drive on a parkway?

Mr.Sixty

Dexter: It is definitely worh it to continue your fabulous work!! I really like your textures and IMHO they look a little bit better than the ones shown previously because they look more worn-out. Especially the white lines look more realistic.
But that's just my opinion, I don't want to offend anyone.

Anyways, your textures look awesome!! :thumbsup:

´br

Quote from: mrtnrln on September 19, 2011, 09:01:07 AM

-Picture1-

-Picture2-

Currently, this is all that's already functional in-game. I have more ready in InkScape.

Best,
Maarten

Hey, could it be that you've inverted the white pins? In your picture it seems to be that the pins with the red reflectores are in the direction of traffic, but all pins that i've seen are the other way around:

(Picture from wikipedia)
- Bene

MandelSoft

Quote from: Girafe on September 19, 2011, 09:31:44 AM
Looks amazing Maarten, where did you get this barriers- private stuff?
Yes, the barriers are part of an unfinished mod of mine. This mod should add reflector posts and guard rails to the RHW, but so far, there are a lot of pieces that need to be modded. Beside that, the guard rails really behave quite oddly at the diagonals...

Quote from: io_bg on September 19, 2011, 09:39:58 AM
Looks cool! However why the Euro textures have wider lanes than the American ones? Won't it be better if their width is the same?
They are just a little wider. Only the shoulders are wider: the normal lane width should be the same...

Quote from: Dexter on September 19, 2011, 02:24:59 PM

It's a pity that I hadn't read this before I started making euro versions of the default textures  :):

I've already completed all of the RHW-2, MIS, RHW-4 & RHW-6S, so I figure I might as well do the lot - If anyone thinks it's worth it anyway I can release them as an alternative.
Save your efforts: Alex (Tarkus) has a automatic PhotoShop script ready that should do the same trick.

Quote from: Mr.Sixty on September 19, 2011, 02:33:34 PM
Dexter: It is definitely worh it to continue your fabulous work!! I really like your textures and IMHO they look a little bit better than the ones shown previously because they look more worn-out. Especially the white lines look more realistic.
But that's just my opinion, I don't want to offend anyone.

Anyways, your textures look awesome!! :thumbsup:
Well, I have to agree, mine look a bit too clean. I don't know how I can make them look more worn-out with vector images (I'm working with vector images, you know)

Quote from: ´br on September 19, 2011, 02:38:46 PM
Quote from: mrtnrln on September 19, 2011, 09:01:07 AM

-Picture1-

-Picture2-

Best,
Maarten

Hey, could it be that you've inverted the white pins? In your picture it seems to be that the pins with the red reflectores are in the direction of traffic, but all pins that i've seen are the other way around:
It's only an experiment, an unfinished mod, so I may change the models eventually ;)

A small sneek peak of what's to come...

Best,
Maarten

drjumbajookiba

Live Out loud For God

j-dub

Surprise! and its public.

A funny thing happens when you make RHW 8c and drag out a road from the center instead of RHW. Funny because this is As Is only, that includes how the RHW attached to the Maxis ground highway there.

ivo_su

Yesterday  I was doing a few hours  to reinstall the NAM, RHW and NWM. From all this work I found a few things:
- Mod made ​​by Xyloxadoria, which is for Light Towers can not work with 5.0 (the only option to do that is if you backtrack check support to 1.3 version but it returns the old textures)
- No arrows OWR - although two set YES to all these places

But as  it is to say something  and re-textures of Maarten.  Seen from here I'm very pleased. I can not wait  around to complete the  mod.

noahclem

Quote from: Dexter on September 19, 2011, 02:24:59 PM

Those look really good Dexter!  &apls

Quote from: mrtnrln on September 19, 2011, 03:11:26 PM
Save your efforts: Alex (Tarkus) has a automatic PhotoShop script ready that should do the same trick.

I was wondering about that--is Alex still planning on creating his own Euro textures with his PS script?

QuoteWell, I have to agree, mine look a bit too clean. I don't know how I can make them look more worn-out with vector images (I'm working with vector images, you know)

Maarten

I don't know any way to make the lines worn out using vector images but that doesn't mean it's not possible--I'm pretty new to inkscape myself. The clean look you have now is quite attractive-looking, just not very realistic outside of very recently-constructed roads.

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: noahclem on September 20, 2011, 09:58:20 AM
I don't know any way to make the lines worn out using vector images but that doesn't mean it's not possible--I'm pretty new to inkscape myself. The clean look you have now is quite attractive-looking, just not very realistic outside of very recently-constructed roads.

I, for one, like the clean look of vector-based textures but I prefer darker textures, and oftentimes, I've gone as far as making my own, but I would never get that far.

And as a person who has worked with Inkscape for nearly two years, there's always the blur and opacity settings. (There are even more advanced settings, but I almost never use them because they'd always lag my computer, but that's besides the point...)
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

j-dub

Oh, well at least you saying that takes off the pressure knowing I'm not alone. My computer makes some serious noises doing advanced stuff in this photo editing software, dare I name names. That's even with 3gb of RAM and at the highest power usage settings, which I would not have done, but my motive was  the more power, makes my computer perform faster, and the faster the computer goes, the faster SC4 runs with over 1gb of plugins.

Tarkus

I was wondering about that--is Alex still planning on creating his own Euro textures with his PS script?

I am.  I just need to sort out a few little logistical things to streamline the process fully.  Wealthification presented a little bit of a challenge, so I'm altering my processing folder structures and made another script to help with that process.

I do also have a Darkphalt script as well that I'm working on, and am in the process of finishing up a Concrete ERHW texture mod.

-Alex

noahclem

Quote from: Tarkus on September 20, 2011, 11:49:24 AM

I am.  I just need to sort out a few little logistical things to streamline the process fully.  Wealthification presented a little bit of a challenge, so I'm altering my processing folder structures and made another script to help with that process.

I do also have a Darkphalt script as well that I'm working on, and am in the process of finishing up a Concrete ERHW texture mod.

-Alex

Excellent to hear!! And of course, variety is the spice of life!

MandelSoft

OK, an update of my Euro Textures set. Here's what I've got so far:
- Currently rendered textures: 102
- Wealth Textures: None
- Basic orthagonal textures: all ground RHW networks
- Basic diagonal textures: Only MIS, RHW-2 and RHW-4
- Curves: Only MIS, RHW-2 and RHW-4
- Intersections: None
- Transistions: MIS-to-RHW-4 and all RHW-4-to-6S transistions.
- Ramp interfaces: None
- Smooth Curves: None
- Cosmetic Pieces: Only RHW-2, RHW-4 (except Ramp OverPlops) and RHW-6S.
- FARHW: Only RHW-2 curves and straight sections.

Some screenshots (click to enlarge):

The shoulder on the diagonals will be as wide as on the orthagonal section, unlike other RHW texture sets. This would require an overhang setup. I tried to manage it yesterday. The models showed up correctly, but all of a sudden, all paths were gone (and I had a "no-paths-lag" when constructing diagonal sections)! I have no idea why they vanished. Does anyone have an idea how to solve this? Oh, and sorry for a texture missalignment. I'll fix that.

The RHW-2 diagonals will also get an overhang setup, but again, the same problem with dissapearing paths...

It looks like some of the cosmetic pieces still have unoptimized mipmap settings. They are set to "repeat" instead of "clamb", although the cosmetic pieces with arrows are already fixed.

I really like how this transistion turned out. But I do see a small line missalignment...

Best,
Maarten

jdenm8

As for the missing paths, that's because you're swapping from a Texture-based setup to a model-based setup which uses a different GID (Can't think of it off-hand) so you'd need to duplicate every Diag RHW-4 path and give it the alternative GID.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

MandelSoft

Aha, so that's the problem. Thanks for your help!

six9nc

Quote from: Wacky Worm on September 18, 2011, 06:31:21 AM
^Click here and here.
Thanks and it works wonders...hats off to all who keep giving us great content to keep this game fresh &apls
"The man who sleeps on the floor never falls out of bed"...Martin Lawrence