• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Windows 7

Started by frdrcklim, January 18, 2009, 01:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sithlrd98

Quote from: Jonathan on May 30, 2009, 05:41:11 AM
Desktop Switcher? I havent heard of that?
Jonathan

This is what I'm talking about.....

Jayson

sithlrd98

I duuno...I just click over to "switch between windows" on the taskbar.
I just noticed how slow Vista is working since I booted over...been keeping 7 open and think that maybe it truly is more responsive! (Same computer , just different OS)

I am really liking 7...may not switch back over to the Vista partition till the RC expires next June!

Jayson

Haljackey

Quote from: sithlrd98 on May 30, 2009, 07:51:24 AM

I am really liking 7...may not switch back over to the Vista partition till the RC expires next June!

Same here, except I can never go back to Vista.  When the RC expires, I'll go and buy a real copy.

sithlrd98

Quote from: Haljackey on May 30, 2009, 10:47:07 AM
Same here, except I can never go back to Vista.  When the RC expires, I'll go and buy a real copy.

As long as the boss wife allows me (she's still mad I plunked $150 on x64XP , only to put Win7 over it ;D)

Jayson

frdrcklim

Quote from: Jonathan on May 30, 2009, 07:45:55 AM
oh right, that's just Windows+tab keys?

Jonathan

O rly? I should try it out myself ;D.
300... 200... 100... 50... 40... 30... 20... 10

Yep, I still got it.

Jonathan

Does anyone know how you can add a network location to a library (a network location that isn't in a homegroup)?
The help file said they have to be indexed and a easy way to do that is to make the files available offline, but that just wastes space. It also said to index them on the machine they're on how do you do that (in vista)

Jonathan

sithlrd98

OK , had a few issues getting the BAT to install correctly , but it may have just been a fluke. Also had an issue getting Max8 installed , but that was a little harder to figure out . They both do work as well as Datgen(with the updated fshlib.dll) PIM and LE work.

I have found a good use for VirtualXP...BitPim! I can hack my phone again!

Jayson

I have yet to even check out the library functions, still messing with it.

BarbyW

Has anyone got SC4Mapper working with Win7 yet? It is the last program I have yet to get working - apart from SC4Terraformer which I won't try until I can get Mapper working.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

sithlrd98

Barby, I have tried to get both mapper and terraformer to work under Win7...they both just hang in limbo , eating zero processor cycles. I have tried with out aero , and just about everything I know ....still not working. Sorry

Jayson

BarbyW

Thanks for the reply, Jayson. I suspected that might be the case. Fortunately I have an XP machine so can use that to render the region and USB it over to this machine.
I only have one piece of hardware not working and that is my microphone on the headset. The speakers side works but not the microphone and I cannot find a solution, yet.

sithlrd98

What kind of setup do you have? Is the sound on-board or is it a card? I was pretty lucky with the Win7 install...all drivers were available , etc. Much better than the Vista64 & x64XP installs :)

Jayson

BarbyW

I honestly don't know if it is an on-board card or a separate one as it is a long time since I had the case open. I had problems with it before Christmas and had to have a new HD. It took some time to get it sorted as I had one that was too big added in. I really must look and see. I will also check my laptop as that has Win7 with an on-board sound card. The Win 7 on there is in French and on my main machine in Englsih.

sithlrd98

I have a question for all Win7 users: Have any of you noticed a slowdown with re-naming files? Simple.pngs take like 30 sec. now. I turned off the search indexer thinking that was the problem but the only change was that it takes longer to search for files. I have plenty of RAM , and so far that seems to be my biggest issue with the OS.

Quote from: BarbyW on July 23, 2009, 11:29:33 AM
had to have a new HD. It took some time to get it sorted as I had one that was too big added in.

Nonsense...you can never have to big of a HDD ;D

Jayson

Jonathan

Does it plug into a USB port or a normal microphone and headphone port (the little round ones)?
If you know who manufactures it try going to their website and downloading the newest drivers for your headset(if it asks what operating system, choose Windows Vista as I doubt it will have 7 on it). But if it plugs into a normal microphone port you should have had no trouble at all.
You can tell if it's onboard or a card depending where it is. If the sound ports are in the red area then it is onboard, but if it's in one of the slots in the blue area then its a card.

And I have had no problem with renaming files at all.
Hope I've helped :)

Jonathan

sithlrd98

Quote from: Jonathan on July 23, 2009, 11:49:11 AM
And I have had no problem with renaming files at all.
Jonathan

That's odd...by the way , I've been meaning to ask you if you ever were able to get the library function working the way you want(without being part of a homegroup?)

Jayson

BarbyW

It is an on-board sound system and I hadn't moved the headset since I plugged it in months ago. I have just taken it to my laptop which also had on-board sound and plugged in and it works on there. I just need to install my web cam on there then I can have this machine for main work, my laptop for skype convos with my brother and the other desktop for making SC4Mapper maps work. ::)
I have never needed drivers for the headset before and the Win7 in French recognised it straightaway.

sithlrd98

Only thing I can think of is that either some how the mic is muted or that part of the sound card is dead.

Jayson

BarbyW

Problem solved. I couldn't face opening the case as it involved a lot of contorting oneself to get at everything $%Grinno$%
I found my manual and went to the manufacturer's web site, input my serial number. Found the drivers page and updated the sound driver. It didn't want to install as it said it was for XP only but I did a compatability install and now the microphone is working.
Just got to get Mapper sorted now.

sithlrd98

Great! Maybe you can have better luck than I did with mapper.

Jayson