• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haljackey

Quote from: Kitsune on January 28, 2009, 11:16:57 AM
Dragging El Rail over a diagonal MIS Ramp causes the Ramp to revert to a RHW-2.

This is known, but both networks will still function without any problems.

In RHW 2.0, this happened for orthogonal MIS as well.  Things will be improved as time progresses!   :thumbsup:

Best,
-Haljackey

LE0

Why was the RHW-8C canceled? It seems like it would be good for acel/decel lanes with Rhw-6C. Will it be reconsidered later?

Leoland coming Spring 2009

sim-al2

Note to self: DTP=Network breaking machine :P

And I don't think that the RHW teasing was a problem until people started guessing for a release date (and then some got impatient etc. :-\)
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

Swamper77

Quote from: sim-al2 on January 28, 2009, 01:39:41 PM
Note to self: DTP=Network breaking machine :P

And I don't think that the RHW teasing was a problem until people started guessing for a release date (and then some got impatient etc. :-\)

You've hit the nail on the head as to what the main problem of the teasing was. This is why Alex will be doing minimal teasing for this release.

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

darraghf

Well I hope that the pathfixes come out soon
Darraghf on SC4D, Rainyday on ST, Darraghflah on Simpeg

Tarkus

Quote from: LE0 on January 28, 2009, 01:12:58 PM
Why was the RHW-8C canceled? It seems like it would be good for acel/decel lanes with Rhw-6C. Will it be reconsidered later?

When the new texture set was created, I re-measured the lane widths and found that the old prototypes my former texture artist had done were actually too narrow compared to the RHW-4 lane widths.  When I got around to making the first draft of the new RHW-8C textures, I found that there simply wasn't enough room for the added lane on a 3-tile footprint, and an RHW-8C would have to take up 5 tiles.  Having a supposedly "Compact" network take up more space than the "Separable" network kind of seemed to defeat the entire purpose. 

Quote from: darraghf on January 28, 2009, 01:50:56 PM
Well I hope that the pathfixes come out soon

You read my mind. :D   It's attached to the post below.  It fixes the RHW-6C Style B Entrance Ramp issue and the EMIS-over-Road overpass.  Thanks to deathtopumpkins and io_bg for reporting the issues.

-Alex (Tarkus)

deathtopumpkins

Thanks Alex!  ;D

And as to the RHW-8C, I'd still want it even if it took up 5 tiles to use as acel/decel lanes. I don't really care about that extra width in most situations, as long as I'd get more realistic exits. So if it's not really that much work, I'd say put up a poll on it and see if enough people want it.  ;)
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Haljackey

I completely support having accel/decel lanes for the RHW-6C, but having it made into a 5-tile RHW-8C is kind of defeats the purpose, as Alex has stated.  Imagine how much work it would take to make the network, you would have drag the RHW tool 5 times just to construct the highway!  When you get to 5 tiles, you may as well use the space and make something like a RHW-12C :P.

How about a compromise?  Perhaps we could sacrifice some of the shoulder for accel/decel lanes near entrances and exits.  Many highways around the world have this setup, especially for compact routes where space isn't available.  However, this would then have to be a true accel/decel lane, and not like the setup used in RHW 2.0.  The ramp lane would have to end in a few tiles (most accel/decel lanes here are at least 100m in length, so that would be about 5 or 6 tiles in-game), and could benefit from a dashed line since its a temporary lane.

Just introducing the concept here, what do you think?  Keeping it 3 and no wider tiles should be a a priority.

Best,
-Haljackey

deathtopumpkins

remanh

Hal, that sounds like a great idea.  Or we could just have a compact transition from RHW-6C to RHW-8.

Also, this may be a little late, but the diagonal road under EL-RHW doesn't work.

Tarkus

Quote from: remanh on January 28, 2009, 06:13:09 PM
Also, this may be a little late, but the diagonal road under EL-RHW doesn't work.

That was another incomplete feature that was supposed to be blocked.  ;)  The RULs are mostly there for it, but it still does weird stuff from time to time.  None of the diagonal combinations involving the Elevated RHW or MIS are finished.  Or, for that matter, aside from those Road-over-RHW pieces in Version 3.0, none of the Anything-over-RHW diagonal stuff is in place (hence, Kitsune's issue). 

-Alex (Tarkus)

Kitsune

Heres a thought, why not have accel/decel lanes built directly in with the ramp on the RHW-6C so its just one big puzzle piece?
~ NAM Team Member

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: Kitsune on January 28, 2009, 07:04:05 PM
Heres a thought, why not have accel/decel lanes built directly in with the ramp on the RHW-6C so its just one big puzzle piece?

Ahh but people like me will want to build an overpass over it, like in the case of a cloverleaf where the lane in question is a 'weave' or 'merge lane.' ;)

Tarkus

Quote from: Kitsune on January 28, 2009, 07:04:05 PM

One word: modularity.  In order to maximize the number of possibilities, and to minimize the amount of modding work, breaking it up is the only way to do things. 

The idea of having an RHW-8C for accel/decel lanes is in and of itself a problem as well from a modularity standpoint as well.  Asymmetrical setups come to mind.  The 6C is already a bit problematic on the modularity end, though the design of the ramp interfaces, so that they only include the outer tiles, turned out to be a decent solution.  And the fact that all three tiles are pathed justifies its existence a little more from the functional standpoint--filling an intermediary niche between the RHW-4 and RHW-8(S).

-Alex (Tarkus)

JoeST

Thanks for the path fix, I will update the NAM article soon with a link to the fix :)

Joe

ps: would be nice to have a list of bugs fixed by said fix? PM me :)
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

darraghf

Thanks for the path fix.
Could you give me the exact file path to extract it.
I'm kinda clueless

Best,
Darragh f
(Rainyday)
Darraghf on SC4D, Rainyday on ST, Darraghflah on Simpeg

dedgren

I'm going to stick my nose into Alex's thread and make a suggestion.  I can certainly identify with all the folks who've suggested great new features for the RHW- there's tons of things I would like to see added as well.  My guess is, though, with the huge forward strides the project has taken in this last release, the next one will probably mostly be focused on adding detail and depth to existing stuff.  Alex needs to hear all the great ideas, of course, but it might help him a lot more if some thought was given to suggesting how he could take and make perfect all the goodies we have on the table right now.

Just my 2 cents.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

pagenotfound

Well can we add more stuff to the mis spliters? Like a diagonal MIS coming off an orthogonal MIS?

Also I have noticed that theres a piece that was in the last version but this one. Its that piece where two MIS (ie one going north and one going south) converge and form a road. What happened to that piece?

Im back baby! Everybody do the Bendah!

deathtopumpkins

It's the next piece in the tab ring after the RHW-2 Dual B-style Exits.

rushman5

A little problem mate with my diagonal exits, forgot to show ya using draw paths, but i don't think that is necessary.
This is what happens when the puzzle piece is plopped: