• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MandelSoft

Well, I did decide to work on a RHW signs and barriers mod. Progress so far:

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

mike3775

I like those arrow signs on the curves

Terring7

"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

io_bg

Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

GDO29Anagram

Because I thought it was necessary and missing. Probably not until at least one more alpha build; Don't know how PPs are gonna go down. (We're still at Alpha Build 2, mind you...) Plus I need to remind myself on how to RUL-0.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Death50

Hey, guys just want to say the new parts are great! I'm able to do a lot more, and got a piece for just about everything that I need, or didn't know I needed! So thank you for your hard work!

Small request, it is the ONLY transition I noticed missing (that I could think off). A RHW6C - RHW8C. Hopefully I'm naming it right, in case not...

|||[]||| RHW6C
-------- MISSING TRANSITION
||||[]|||| RHW8C

No piece to properly bridge this gap (if I'm wrong please let me know), but again amazing work and I'm grateful for it all.

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Death50 on June 24, 2012, 11:19:06 PM
Small request, it is the ONLY transition I noticed missing (that I could think off). A RHW6C - RHW8C. Hopefully I'm naming it right, in case not...

We already have a 6C-8C transition. Since the 6C and 8C is so modular, it would be redundant to make a 3x3 piece, so instead, it's just a 1x3 piece for just the outer lanes. You just need two of them to make a full 6C-8C transition. (Something similar can be done to the 8S-10S transition; Just think of the 8S inner as the 6C median.)

This is similar to the AVE-6 to AVE-8 transition (not in NAM 31), and it's also to transition to asymmetrical 7C's.
<INACTIVE>
-----

MandelSoft

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on June 24, 2012, 08:14:24 PM

Because I thought it was necessary and missing. Probably not until at least one more alpha build; Don't know how PPs are gonna go down. (We're still at Alpha Build 2, mind you...) Plus I need to remind myself on how to RUL-0.
Nice one! I had this one in mind for a while too...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

noahclem

Great transition work JD  &apls

Also nice work on the barrier/sign mod Maarten  &apls

AngryBirdsFan436

Well, sorry for another argument for the Double Decker RHW-6. But here's what I meant.

The L2 ERHW-6C on top of the L0 (ground) RHW-6C has separate ramps. The one on green is the ERHW-6C ramps and the yellow one is the Ground RHW-6C ramps. The red color is the ERHW-6C and the blue is the ground RHW-6C (not displayed). THIS IS MY FINAL POST REGARDING THE DOUBLE DECKER RHW-6.
SC4 + NAM = 20% Cooler!

Blue Lightning

When we say "not possible," we usually mean it...
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

Tarkus

Quote from: AngryBirdsFan436 on June 25, 2012, 06:57:24 AM
The L2 ERHW-6C on top of the L0 (ground) RHW-6C has separate ramps.

Which, if you saw my demonstration, is one of the main problems with same-direction double-decks.  The game does not care that they're separate and traffic will jump from L0 to L2 at the drop of a hat.

THIS IS MY FINAL POST REGARDING THE DOUBLE DECKER RHW-6.

No need to scream it in ALL CAPS.  But let's hope so, because there's a 0% chance of it being made, no matter how much you beg for it.

-Alex

Haljackey

I recall Blue Lightning did some work some time ago on something similar: El-RHW-4 over avenue. Some prototype textures were made in 2009 if I recall:

However, this was pretty much as far as it got due to the fact that you simply couldn't path same-direction traffic on two (or more levels) on the same tile.

Getting an avenue running under elevated Maxis Highway was a pretty heavy request after Rush Hour came out back in 2003, yet that still hasn't been accomplished. Why? Same reason, it simply isn't possible.

Quote from: Blue Lightning on June 25, 2012, 08:10:24 AM
When we say "not possible," we usually mean it...

Usually? From what I remember there was only one breakthrough in RHW development that was once thought impossible, and that was being able to see it in the regional transportation view like roads or Maxis Highways.

Great work on the props Maarten and the textures GDO29Anagram!

Blue Lightning

Yeah, that was my first "real" puzzle piece actually... I gave up on it after realizing that the ramp setups would be near impossible to do cleanly (back then there weren't inside exit ramps for ERHW). Also people going "WHY IS IT LHD IN RHD!!?!?!?" which I already had gotten quite a few of those during development.

And as for the impossible thing, this one is down at the fundamental level - the entire idea of double decker in the same direction is contrary to how the game engine is designed.
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: noahclem on June 25, 2012, 12:42:53 AM
Great transition work JD  &apls

Don't you mean GDI? :P

Thanks, though. Getting the "uneven" details right was the hard part (especially when all you know how to use is Paint.NET and Inkscape), but I figured it out.

Well, sorry for another argument for the Double Decker RHW-6. But here's what I meant.

Well, we know what you meant, but we meant what we said when the chances of it being made are 0%.

(Was that a Dr. Seuss moment?)

Yeah. Never gonna happen.

(Post #666.)
<INACTIVE>
-----

Haljackey

New Highway Widening video showing what the (current) RHW is capable of.

http://www.youtube.com/v/1oHHhrepxxI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oHHhrepxxI

A mosaic of the competed project (beautification and stuff added after the video) I did can be found here if interested: http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Haljackey/GTR/fullbitmap.png

Wiimeiser

I don't think networks were originally intended to be moddable, aside from possibly the traffic simulator
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Wiimeiser on June 25, 2012, 06:56:50 PM
I don't think networks were originally intended to be moddable, aside from possibly the traffic simulator

We can go as far as changing the placement of individual network tiles (INRULs), changing the capacity (Transit Simulator), how they interact with the terrain (Slope Mods, though usually 3rd-party), adding bridges (Bridge controller), and how they interact with other networks and even themselves (RULs 0, 1, and 2), but anything that's EXE-locked is where the line is drawn.

This includes, but not limited to, the following:

- Reversible lanes
- "Stacked" highways
- Adding full-fledged networks without having to use starters
- Making non-tunnel networks make tunnels

Otherwise, there'd literally would be no NAM; It'd probably be just a set of traffic simulators and slope mods, and that's it.
<INACTIVE>
-----

Shadow Assassin

Guess who got a little love...!

(also: say hello to my little friends, the 8S C1 ramp and 8S F2 ramp)

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

AngryBirdsFan436

Are you guys making an RHW-6S/8S/10S inner ramp so we can make Basketweave interchanges with wider RHWs?
SC4 + NAM = 20% Cooler!