• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Pix of Vermont

Started by Bobbo, May 21, 2007, 03:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobbo

For the past 4 yrs, I've been a hermit b/c of health reasons - and now that I'm healed, and feeling so healthy, I've kinda went off exploring Vermont on my own (without my partner -  while he's at work :D).  I took my first long trip by myself to Burlington on April 30th - 82 miles one way and it was Fantastic!  I haven't driven like that in 4 yrs, and I thought I was gonna wreck the car  :D.  But anyway, here are some pictures of the area I live in. 

This is Pawlet, Vermont - though I live in West Pawlet, which is 10 miles West of Pawlet, right on the New York border.  Here's the small town of Pawlet.

and a new restaurant or cafe they are opening up in Pawlet

This is my house in West Pawlet - it was built in 1900, and it's known as Annie McGuire's house - I found out that she enjoyed making things for her neighbors like reefs, and planting flowers to give.  Though when we acquired this house, it was almost to the point that it was gonna fall in.  But we've been refurbishing this house back to health, and found out that we have the biggest lot in West Pawlet.  My partner, Steven enjoys gardening - at the moment he has 30 rose bushes and many other plants and flowers it's getting to the point that we should open a nursery.  Here are the shots of the house - 3 angles.

Front of the house

Back side of the house

And the side of the house off from New Street

I will post more pic later - but I thought I would start with this much first.  ;)

RippleJet

Nice to see your house and neighbourhood! :thumbsup:
I want to see Steven's roses too (once they are flowering) ::)
Pawlet does seem to be a very quiet place. ;)

Bobbo

West Pawlet, or Pawlet can be very quiet at times, unless there's a pig roast or something like that going on - but it's a small town.

Here's my partner, Steven sittin' next to a green/pink tulip bed he planted last Fall that hasn't really bloomed as of yet

Here's he just finishing up in putting a new lamp post so we can have some light for the entry of the backyard

And here's our slate mountain or hill in our backyard - if we need slate for anything like a new walkway or slatewall - Steven just goes to the backyard and grabs a slab and hauls it where he needs it.

Tage (if you are reading this) - here's our neighbor's slate hill (the ones that like to use our backyard for their chickens to run in)

In this part of Vermont - I live 40 minutes south of Rutland, which is the 2nd biggest city in Vermont (Rutland County) - back in the 1800's and early 1900's - Slate was this area's biggest commerce.  But who uses slate now days??

EDGE4194

Thanks for sharing your photos! You have a wonderful house, and looks like you live in a nice quiet town  ;) Glad to hear that you are out and about- enjoy  :)

Bobbo

Thanks Edge - we're trying our best in keeping the old house up.

Here are some of the farms in Pawlet - both of these farms on are on Route 30.

and then this one is my favorite - I just enjoy the mountain in the background.

and here's a closer shot

And this is Haystack Mountain

and in West Pawlet, which is 10 miles west of Pawlet, our home is surrounded by these slate mountains

I was told by our neighbor the reason why our cell phones don't work is because of the slate mountains  >:(  so the folks in this town use CB radios.

sebes

Thanks for showing these pictures... glad to be able to picture Vermont now.. I believe you were not exagerating the other day with the blast about cowcity.

Your house is great, hard to believe it's over 100 year old. You did a good job in renovating it.   Do I see a dog on the photo?
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

Bobbo

Quote from: sebes on May 22, 2007, 01:43:29 PM

Your house is great, hard to believe it's over 100 year old. You did a good job in renovating it.   Do I see a dog on the photo?

Thanks - though Steven did majority of the renovating the house - I remember when I was in the hospital in Virginia after my surgery, and he sent me pix of the house - I thought it was a total wreck - but in 4 yrs time, he has done an excellent job.

That dog you see is a pit bull from a neighbor up the street - friendly but somehow the owner said they were running around loose for 5 hours in the neighborhood.  I have a dog, but he's a chihuahua - a 12 lb chihuahua - his nickname is "Horse"  :D

The word Vermont is 2 french words put together.  Vermeaning partially Green and mont meaning partially mountain.  Viola!  Vermont = Green Mountain, it's called The Green Mountain State.  Vermont used to be part of New York, and New Hampshire - but the folks who settled in this part of the terroritory wanted to be seperate.  The outline of the State of New Hampshire is opposite of Vermont if you look at the map.  The 3 biggest cities are 1. Burlington, 2. Rutland, and 3. Bennington. 

The great American poet Robert Frost is buried in Bennington - and right down the road from my house in Arlington, Vermont is where the great American artist Norman Rockwell lived until he died.   I also found out that majority of Vermont citizens are artisticly incline.  There are many artist, authors, painters - crafty type of people that make their living here in this State.  And of course Maple Syurp is a big commidity here.

Here are some of the green mountains that surround where I live.

sebes

QuoteI have a .. chihuahua - his nickname is "Horse" 

:D :D :D 

Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

Yoder7652

very nice pics! I've always wanted to make my way up to Vermont, NH, and Maine, but haven't made the trip yet....someday ::) Again, great photos...the house looks good!

Bobbo

You should Yoder!  Northern New England is very beautiful - hopefully this September we're gonna be going to Maine or Cape Cod - Provincetown, MA.

Zaphod

cool, mountains. where I am its flat and boring

I havent been up to New England yet. Looks cool though. I guess the only place similiar looking I've been to is West Virginia
War Kittens !?

Pat

Bobby those pics are absolutly stunning WoW...
I dont know what else to say about them?
the only thing i can really think to say is WoW...
you truely are blessed to be living in such a beautiful state my friend...
about the slate actuly its used still as tile flooring in most parts cause of the
easy care it has..  Im looking forward to more pics there bobby  ;)

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie