• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Game crashes!

Started by ricardovcm, October 20, 2011, 12:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricardovcm

Hi! I've just installed lots of dependencies, because there was some brown boxes in my cities. Now, when I try to open any of them, the game crashes to desktop... any hint for what is causing this?

Thank you!

jmyers2043

Hey Ricardo

Quote from: ricardovcm on October 20, 2011, 12:14:32 PM
Hi! I've just installed lots of dependencies...

Welcome to SC4 Devotion. Good for you! I'm happy that you grabbed some of the great stuff here

... there was some brown boxes in my cities.. 

You need to read the read me files. They will tell you what (if any) dependencies are needed to insure the lots function properly.

.. Now, when I try to open any of them, the game crashes to desktop...

That usually doesn't happen. Brown boxes are Maxis way of telling you that you do not have the model file. Usually clicking on the brown box will display the query. Write down the name of the building and search accordingly. I never experienced a CTD because of a brown box. I think it is time for you to clean out your plugins and start over. Load stuff back in smaller more manageable steps. You'll have a better idea what the problem lot is if/when you have another CTD.

Good Luck

- Jim
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

ricardovcm

Thanks for the feedback! You are right, I tried to install too many files at once... Does the game saves any kind of log file for this kind of error?

SC4BOY

Quote from: ricardovcm on October 20, 2011, 12:46:28 PM
Thanks for the feedback! You are right, I tried to install too many files at once... Does the game saves any kind of log file for this kind of error?

Nothing you can make any sense of :( Just take smaller steps and check it out as you go rather than trying big sets of dl's

mike3775

make sure to download and install the cleanitall program.  Some of those lots and mods may conflict with other mods and lots also

ricardovcm

I can't believe I got it to work! I made some tests, removing sets of plugins... and found the culprits: CP_DiagonalFix_SNOWCAPPED.dat (and it's variations) and Maxis_DiagonalFix.dat; I think a messed up these files...

Thanks everybody!

bwhitejr

I am having the CTD problem on loading a city. The game itself starts up fine and goes to the region. I pick a city in the region, it starts to load and after several minutes, the CTD. I am following the above suggestions but i do have a couple of questions.

First of all I should add that I started with a retail version of SC4 Deluxe that I bought on CD. I have had coputer problems and somewhere along the way, the CD refused to install anymore. I then installed the download version from EA. I installed all of the known updates from EA and from both the STEX and SC4D. 
1.  With the download version do I have to do the updates? Are there any files that I should add?  IF so, what are they?

2.  Is it possible to have too many plugins?  Is there a maximum number? I do know the more you load, the longer it takes for the city to appear and the longer, sometimes, for the game to respond to certain things.

3.  In light of the fact that I am reloading plugins, is there any particular suggested order to install? Like do I do the NAM first? or the CAM? Some of the Mods? Before adding back building files?

Any advice or suggestions you can provide would be greatly apprecited.

Bill

whatevermind

2. Theoretically, you could probably have too many, but there are people with several GB of plugins that manage just fine.  However, you could have plugins that are conflicting with each other, or more plugins than your computer's memory can handle - as you mentioned, more plugins = slower loading, and at some point your computer could simply give up or run out of memory, especially if you combine a large number of plugins with an older computer.

3.  Installation order doesn't really matter.  Sometimes it helps to install major mods (ie NAM, CAM, terrain) first to ensure they work, then once you know your mods are good, start adding buildings and so on.

One thing you might be encountering, is that if I remember correctly, missing texture files for a terrain mod can cause a game to crash while loading a city.  So, if you're using a terrain mod, make sure you have all the dependencies installed - these should be listed in the readme.

jmyers2043

Quote from: bwhitejr on February 05, 2012, 11:04:54 AM

1.  With the download version do I have to do the updates? Are there any files that I should add?  IF so, what are they?

2.  Is it possible to have too many plugins?  Is there a maximum number? I do know the more you load, the longer it takes for the city to appear and the longer, sometimes, for the game to respond to certain things.

3.  In light of the fact that I am reloading plugins, is there any particular suggested order to install? Like do I do the NAM first? or the CAM? Some of the Mods? Before adding back building files?

1. First thing is to remove everything from your plugins. Start the game. Crash yes, no? If yes the problem is with the installation. If no the problem is something, or lack of something in your plugins.

2. Not that I know. A lot of plugins can cause a long load time - can cause big cities to chug along but that has to do more with CPU power. The Dat Packer Tool is a great resource if you have a large plugins.

3. Doesn't matter that much. Caveat is that mods that require a specific loading order usually have instructions and default installation path to a ZZZ_folder or in the case of the CAM, an A_CAM folder  ...

A couple of things come to mind that can cause a crash between Region and City. Two tree controllers will do that. You can have one or the other but not two simultaneously. A terrain controller with  missing base texture files will also cause the game to crash when loading cities. There is a demolish/remove order when changing seaports. Removing seaport files from the plugins when there are still seaports in the game is bad. Possibly if you have Peg and BSC seaports simultaneously. I'm not sure about that last but careful perusal of Read Me files will prevent most mishaps.

Good Luck

- Jim 

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

BruceAtkinson

Hello everyone, I have another crash issue.  Last night I saved a city in my Bellingham region and then proceeded to go back to the Region without saving, as is my custom.  However, I had a crash to desktop prior to SimCity going back to the Region View.  The city in question crrupted once befor on a save, however I was able to get the original tile and last night marked the extensive rebuild of the city, which now stands at 302,000 happy sims!  If I take out the offending city in the Bellingham Region, then the game loads just fine, until I try and import the city...then it crashes to desktop again.  I have been through this before, and have always been able to recover or rebuild...however this time the city did save properly, it was only when I directed the game to go to Regions without saving, just exiting to Regions.  So for all intense and purposes, the city saved completely and properly...any hints on what I could do or what could be wrong...since I really am not looking forward to re-building the city again!
  Bruce