• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Good Quotes. For every circumstance: bare, enigmatic, historic, funny.

Started by fantozzi, February 08, 2019, 10:21:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fantozzi

Quote from: TheTeaCat on April 26, 2019, 02:07:06 AM
Infuse your life with action. Learn to enjoy every minute of your life. Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it. Only you can change your life. Positivity, confidence, and persistence are key in life, so never give up on yourself. Stay true to yourself, yet always be open to learn. :)

Germanies most influencal poet, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe was minister for mining and industry at the court of Weimar. He was buddy with the Duke of Weimar and they often went for a ride through the country and it's said they didn't only visit mines and factories but also taverns and women.

But strangely Goethe became sick of this lucky life. And one night he left. And after a while he wrote to the duke - "Sorry, I had to go - I'm in Italy now". If I remember right, he stayed for 3 years in Italy and all those years the duke of Weimar payed Goethes salary until he came back.

From Rome, on 27. october 1787 he's writing his friend Herder (caution: my own translation):

"I put attention this year and listened well to all the strangers I met and what I found was, that it doesn't matter if they are educated or not, rich or not, sensitive or lump, they always come to the point and they persist: the moment is everything. And the advantage of a wise man is to behave in a way that makes his life - as far as it depends on him - the biggest bulk of reasonable and happy moments possible."

jeffryfisher

"That's the way it's always been" is cause to start thinking, not stop. (2006)
&idea
Modding PC games since 1993 (back when we needed hex-editors)

fantozzi

"Why should I drive like a goof with all those others around and around in circles?"

Niki Lauda (1949 - 2019) unexpectedly announcing the end of his career as formula 1 driver in 1985.

jeffryfisher

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
-- Arthur Schopenhauer

TheTeaCat

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    ~Albert Einstein
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

jeffryfisher

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke

fantozzi

"Humor is fondness and fear".

Guillermo Mordillo (1932 - 2019)

PaPa-J

"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."

-Marilyn Monroe
Lighten up, just enjoy life,
smile more, laugh more,
and don't get so worked up
about things.

jeffryfisher

"When the freedom they wished for most was freedom from responsibility... Then, Athens ceased to be free."
-- Edward Gibbon

PaPa-J

Lighten up, just enjoy life,
smile more, laugh more,
and don't get so worked up
about things.

jeffryfisher

"The average university is a sanctuary in which exploded systems and obsolete prejudices find shelter and protection after they have been hunted out of every other corner of the world."
-- Adam Smith, c. 1750

Terring7

"Having a soft heart in a cruel world is courage, not weakness."
- Katherine Henson
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

jeffryfisher

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants."
-- Thomas Jefferson

fantozzi

The mirror speaks, bare facts unfold
And in your chest they wheeze, they pant
Your bones, once full of passion, rant:
You can't deny, my pal, you're old.

(Francesco Petrarca, my own translation)

jeffryfisher

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke

xxdita

"Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time."
—from Hogfather, by Terry Pratchett

fantozzi

"The fish you didn't catch is always the outstanding one."

(Christoph Schwennicke, german journalist)

fantozzi

Quote from: jeffryfisher on December 19, 2019, 06:55:40 PM
-- Edmund Burke

Colonel Claus Philipp Maria Schenk Earl of Stauffenberg placed a bomb under the desk of Hitler. Hitler survived, the Earl of Stauffenberg was shot.

In cinema the good guy with the weapon will kill the bad guy with the weapon. But history shows the good guys have to unite and remove the weapons from the game. Otherwise good vs evil is nothing else than playing Roussian roulette.

(Fantozzi)

Terring7

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."
– Sun Tzu

"Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?"
– Luke 6:41

"War is the business of barbarians."
– Napoleon Bonaparte

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."
– Bertrand Russell

"You are so brave and quiet I forget you are suffering."
– Ernest Hemingway

"Cruel people are busy all the time, as if to find justification for the cruelty of their dealings."
– Leo Tolstoy

"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die."
– H.P. Lovecraft

"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
– Frank Zappa

"I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people."
– Sir Isaac Newton

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning."
– Albert Einstein
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

fantozzi

"The trouble with Eichmann was precisely that so many were like him, and that the many were neither perverted nor sadistic, that they were, and still are, terribly and terrifyingly normal. From the viewpoint of our legal institutions and of our moral standards of judgment, this normality was much more terrifying than all the atrocities put together."
― Hannah Arendt, Eichmann in Jerusalem: A Report on the Banality of Evil

"True goal of totalitarian propaganda is not persuasion, but organization of the polity. ... What convinces masses are not facts, and not even invented facts, but only the consistency of the system of which they are presumably part."
― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism

"Before mass leaders seize the power to fit reality to their lies, their propaganda is marked by its extreme contempt for facts as such, for in their opinion fact depends entirely on the power of man who can fabricate it."
― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism

"Evil comes from a failure to think. It defies thought for as soon as thought tries to engage itself with evil and examine the premises and principles from which it originates, it is frustrated because it finds nothing there. That is the banality of evil."
― Hannah Arendt, Eichmann in Jerusalem: A Report on the Banality of Evil

(May 8. – it's often called day of liberation, because on May 8. 1945 the Third Reich was defeated. But I feel discomofort because evil still is. You can shoot nazis but you can't shoot evil. As Hanna Arendt did recognize: it grows wherever people are thoughtless patrolling some border - real or imaginary, doesn't matter from which material this border are made. "Gorbatschow, tear down this wall" - remember these words? It's not that the wall you keep upright is better than the wall others keep upright.

"The most tragic form of loss isn't the loss of security; it's the loss of the capacity to imagine that things could be different."
― Ernst Bloch