• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

The slope tolerance really depends on the underlying CheckTypes on the piece.  Right now, it's set up kind of like the old FLEXFly, with a bunch of RHW stubs being overridden by false intersections on either end, and the stub setup isn't particularly slope tolerant.  Unlike a standard static puzzle piece with starters on the end, which won't even plop on many inclines, this one will, but it'll mostly flatten the underlying terrain.  Given that we're not expecting the piece to get as heavy of usage on slopes as some of those FLEX-WTs, it's not as much of a concern, and of course, if we do add FLEXFly-like capabilities to it, the resultant over/underpasses will be treated by the game's terrain engine as intersections, which are automatically going to end up flat.

-Alex

Edit: Corrected late night "slops" typo into the intended "slopes".

Seaman

Tarkus, thank you for the explanations.  :thumbsup:

gn_leugim

that slope tolerance on the flex is gold over blue :o I play a lot on non flat lands and that was always something that bothered me much.. but no more!  &apls &apls

Tarkus

One could say that this is going to be a . . . transitional release . . . for the RHW. ::)

Went through a few different designs on that, dating back to last year, before settling on this 6-tile model.  It also comes in handy for something else:

-Alex

art128

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

dyoungyn

Ditto, now that is cool to FINALLY see ramp height transitions diagonal.  Great job!

matias93

Expect Haljackey redoing all interchanges once again with NAM 36. BTW, I assume the previously showed on-slope diagonal transition is on the update too...

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

roadgeek

Quote from: matias93 on August 16, 2016, 07:29:59 PM
Expect Haljackey redoing all interchanges once again with NAM 36. BTW, I assume the previously showed on-slope diagonal transition is on the update too...

So...has NAM35 been released? Will this diag not make it into NAM35?

matias93

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

Seaman

whoho... some months ago, NAM 35 was pretty nice but after the latest announcements it will be real awesome. big one! can't wait for it  :bnn:

Tarkus

Thanks, Arthur, dyoungyn, matias, roadgeek, and Seaman! :thumbsup:

Here's a few more of these beasts.  The single-tile L0-L1 situations are currently coded and have models.  No pathing yet.

Quote from: matias93 on August 16, 2016, 07:29:59 PM
BTW, I assume the previously showed on-slope diagonal transition is on the update too...

The on-slope version hasn't been touched in awhile.  No guarantees, though it wouldn't shock me to see it resuscitated.

At this point, we don't really know what NAM 35's feature list will look like.  We have a ton of unfinished projects in various stages, and I suspect we'll be holding some of them in reserve for NAM 36 or 37.  All these new transitions here are the result of me taking a break from the FLEX Turn Lanes (FTL) project.  At this point, I'd say that FTL stands a good chance of being one of the things we push back to NAM 36, mainly because of the LHD support (which is pretty intense).  I'm also still figuring out what will happen with QuickChange Xpress (QCX).  I've figured out some interesting things with it that should be introduced at the outset with it, but those things hinge on stuff that likely won't be ready for NAM 35.

-Alex

dyoungyn

Now that is really sexy.  Finally diagonal L0-L1.  Great job and keep em coming.

omgitskosc

Inspiring! These updates are the best incentives for me to come out of a hiatus. Cannot wait for the next NAM for sure!.=

mgb204

Yes, Yes, Yes... Diagonal transitions are very desirable to me, along with curving height transitions. Another great addition to improve our interchanges. :thumbsup:

Seaman

Quote from: Tarkus on August 17, 2016, 07:03:13 PM
All these new transitions here are the result of me taking a break from the FLEX Turn Lanes (FTL) project.  At this point, I'd say that FTL stands a good chance of being one of the things we push back to NAM 36, mainly because of the LHD support (which is pretty intense).

ohhhh sad to hear that  &cry2. I'm amazed by the huge potential for the FTLs and really have a crush on them (anticipating them by postponing projects till release or planing in advance to upgrade intersections). But I totally understand your point there.

Tarkus

Thanks, dyoungyn, KOSC, Robin, and Seaman!

Quote from: Seaman on August 19, 2016, 04:24:38 PM
ohhhh sad to hear that  &cry2. I'm amazed by the huge potential for the FTLs and really have a crush on them (anticipating them by postponing projects till release or planing in advance to upgrade intersections). But I totally understand your point there.

I hear you--I'm looking forward to the FTLs, too.  There's a couple positives of pushing it out until NAM 36, however, as it cuts down the timetable for NAM 35's release, and there may be a few more things we can slip into the initial offerings of FTL.  Also, there may be a pattern in terms of what's getting delayed . . . which might give you an idea of some of the stuff that's around the corner for NAM 36. ;)

-Alex

_Michael

I've always been excited for the new tuning lanes, and those height transitions look awesome!

Seaman

Quote from: Tarkus on August 19, 2016, 06:26:47 PM
There's a couple positives of pushing it out until NAM 36, however, as it cuts down the timetable for NAM 35's release, and there may be a few more things we can slip into the initial offerings of FTL.

ah, I see what you did there ;)

I will appreciate whatever conclusion the NAM team will make for the NAM35 feature list. You've done tremendous work in the past and made quite some experiences with releases. You will know best.

With the dawn of diagonal ramps I can imagine tight diagonal interchanges may become possible  :thumbsup:

Gugu3

eggman121

Don't know if I have shown this transition yet?  ;)

Just dusting off some old work on the transition front.

That is all for now before I go to work.

-eggman121