• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Re: Waterfalls a New Journey... MD by Pat_Update # 219

Started by Pat, March 13, 2007, 01:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayden

WELCOME TO PAGE 4
Well, I just went through the all of this MD, and like the others said, your improvement was great. Streams, rivers, canals, try to mix them and disguise the connections and always look for the real side. For example on this last picture, the river goes under the bridge and stops before the canal. Why, is there a depression, if so, why not adding a way out from the canal towards the river and make a small waterfall to flow to the river and aunder that bridge. This is the real side I was talking about. Look at this picture bellow, how the water comes from up in glaciar (ploppable water), into the rapids and waterfalls, flowing water down to a Peg's stream, and another waterfall flowing into a canal. All well disguised with ploppable rocks, trees, rapids and waterfalls or water effects to hide the flaws and always trying to replicate the RL. This is just one example, there is other people like David said, Aleking, Darmok, Jeronij, David himself, just to mention a few, that are great in this peticular aspect of the game. Try to follow carefully their MDs and you will learn a great deal with them. I know because I did it, and still do ;)

Anyway, you're doing a great job and certainly I'll keep on poping by to see your improvements.  :thumbsup:

Pat

Ok here we try again and on page 4 wooohooo sweet,  ty Rayden for the warm welcome to this new page.
Alright if i get no more distractions we can actuly get Update # 9 on the page lol.  First a few more replies
then we are on the way.

VillaV:  Ty very much for stopping in and your kind words.

Rayden:  Thank you verrrrrrrry much that is very useful and i will be sure to work on it.  I have been following every
ones MD/CJ trying to get ideas on how to cover up flaws.  I hope these next few shots will at least show that progress
starting to show.

Pic 1: Here we have is a pic of Big Shur Lake and yes i do know about the missing prop im trying to look for it lol

Pic 2:

Pic 3:

Pic 4:

Pic 5:

Pic 6:

Pic 7: This is of course is a Map view of Big Shur, More or less a teaser of the city lol

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

meinhosen

I love Big Shur Lake, great work.  :thumbsup:  Can't wait to see Big Shur in your next update.

Keep it up!
You're telling me I get to be home for more than 12 months?

Fred_Ginger

@Pat, looks good, well, except for the 3 large rocks that just sorta sit there at the end of that peninsula... they are kinda like a sore thumb!  It looks like it takes a lot of work to 'integrate' the PW with the landscape!

@Rayden - yowzer!  
My name is Vicki
Fred and Ginger were my doggies
RIP my babies

thundercrack83

Big Shur Lake looks fantastic, Pat! I love how the trains travels right next to it and the rail bridge crossing it especially! Keep up the good work, my friend!

Badsim

Quote from: patfirefghtr on March 19, 2007, 03:01:43 PM

Badsim (X's 2) :  LOL Ty i know I'm gonna work on the canal soon i have a few ideas for it and i hope it will be good.
BTW you had said that you where Less convinced about the shore in the first picJust wondering what was wrong
so i can work it out?

So my opinion is that  your use of Sorchin'rocks is too massive  on the shore ; the way you pile up them distinctely by colors doesn't look natural at all... and you shouldn't use the three colors . I would try to continue the river , make a transition to ocean with a water fall , use only green or grey rocks on shore , try to keep the "pinky/brown" rocks at the feet of the cliff (personally I would remove these last ...  ::)

I know; criticism is easy , art is difficult ... :P

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

mark

Hi Pat

Big Shur looks great and the lake too &apls

Btw is that boating lot on the lakes edge available to download anywhere please ?

Bobbo

Hi Pat  &apls

Boy, I think you are doing a great job with the MD  - Big Shur is a beautiful town, and I have to agree, I like the the logs in the water, it really makes an outstanding effect for the wood mill, or pulp mill.  I will make a habit of coming by and staying tune.

Keep up the great work!

The Bobbo  ;)

Flipside

I like it, Pat ... the lake is really nice. You're doing ploppable water very well.  :thumbsup:

Heinz

QuoteZniehadajet:  I try my heart out to learn and be taught cause that is one thing i learned in 28yrs you are never
to old to learn new things lol, or for that fact even starting something new lol (hint hint hint) 
taking your (hint hint hint)  :P and while i'm at it, like Rayden(Silvio) said at the top of the page, the masters are the best sources of such lessons! he did not, however, include himself in the list of people to learn from.  :P great to be moving along! see you around

Pat

Now lets see here well with "IGWFWIN" fast approaching
500 page views and i know some of that is me but alot of
it is due to y'all.  I would like to say a great big thank you
to everyone who is following me threw this disaster as i
go and try to improve my city building skills and PW skills.
Well at least so far i have hope that i've improved PW at least and
with the comments and postive feedback i know im doing something right.
so with out further ado here i go with my replies.

Quote from: zniehadajet on March 23, 2007, 09:28:58 PM
taking your (hint hint hint)  :P and while i'm at it, like Rayden(Silvio) said at the top of the page, the masters are the best sources of such lessons! he did not, however, include himself in the list of people to learn from.  :P great to be moving along! see you around

Zniehadajet i sooo agree with that Rayden forgot to mention himself as a master. lol im glad you are gonna give a crack at PW at least now you have learned from my mistakes lol.

Quote from: Flipside on March 23, 2007, 02:37:46 PM
I like it, Pat ... the lake is really nice. You're doing ploppable water very well.  :thumbsup:

Flip thank you very much

Quote from: Bobbo on March 23, 2007, 01:54:00 PM
Hi Pat  &apls

Boy, I think you are doing a great job with the MD  - Big Shur is a beautiful town, and I have to agree, I like the the logs in the water, it really makes an outstanding effect for the wood mill, or pulp mill.  I will make a habit of coming by and staying tune.

Keep up the great work!

The Bobbo  ;)

Bobbbbbbbbbbbbbbbie hey thank you for coming in and yes its a pulp mill. I look forward to seeing you again...

Quote from: mark on March 23, 2007, 08:59:28 AM
Hi Pat

Big Shur looks great and the lake too &apls

Btw is that boating lot on the lakes edge available to download anywhere please ?

Mark hi thank you very much there, far as the Marina that was my misson yesterday when i had time on the puter
unfornatly i wasnt able to refind it any where but far as i know and remember its a Peg orignal lot before he revamped
the Pond Kit.  So the whole name that i know it is "Peg Pond Kit Marina"

Quote from: Badsim on March 23, 2007, 03:26:31 AM
So my opinion is that  your use of Sorchin'rocks is too massive  on the shore ; the way you pile up them distinctely by colors doesn't look natural at all... and you shouldn't use the three colors . I would try to continue the river , make a transition to ocean with a water fall , use only green or grey rocks on shore , try to keep the "pinky/brown" rocks at the feet of the cliff (personally I would remove these last ...  ::)

I know; criticism is easy , art is difficult ... :P

Badsim thank you very much for explaing that to me, i will rework it and post as soon as get it done and that is soo true and
right on that art is difficult.

Quote from: thundercrack83 on March 22, 2007, 09:55:55 PM
Big Shur Lake looks fantastic, Pat! I love how the trains travels right next to it and the rail bridge crossing it especially! Keep up the good work, my friend!

Thundercrack wow im glad that was something that caught your eye with the train by the lake and i shur will..

Quote from: Fred_Ginger on March 22, 2007, 06:17:42 PM
@Pat, looks good, well, except for the 3 large rocks that just sorta sit there at the end of that peninsula... they are kinda like a sore thumb!  It looks like it takes a lot of work to 'integrate' the PW with the landscape!

@Rayden - yowzer!

Vicki hey thank you very much for pointing that out to me i didnt think about it till now about the rocks on the peninsula.
it sure does take some time to get it right that is one thing that i noticed, but man it sure does pay off for realizms at the end.
Rayden did do a fantastic job there didnt he?

Quote from: meinhosen on March 22, 2007, 06:13:35 PM
I love Big Shur Lake, great work.  :thumbsup:  Can't wait to see Big Shur in your next update.

Keep it up!

Meinhosen dont worry Big Shur the tour is coming soon to a puter monitor near ya's!!!

Update # 10 is a tour of small gourge area of Big Shur but first a special annoucement
in expecting the growth of Big Shur two hotel chains have opened locations in Big Shur.

Pic # 1

Pic # 2

Pic # 3 Here is an area under devolpment not to be seen yet but in the black is seaport area.  Couldnt find anything else to make a transition from river to land, if you understand what i mean

Pic # 4

Pic # 5

Pic # 6

Pic # 7

Pic # 8

Pic # 9

Pic # 10

Pic # 11

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

emilin

More, and even better, stuff. Good updates overall. A question about the street network: are you using any slope mods? If not, you should look into it (ingame roads and streets tend to look a bit "jagged" when placed on uneven terrain). There are two good slope mods on the LEX. I'm using jeronij's myself.

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Flipside

Well, that's a first for me, Pat. I hadn't before seen the business that openly flaunted the "BS" that goes on inside ...  ;) ::)

kimcar

Nice evolution of Big Shur.  :thumbsup:Can`t wait for see more pics of it.

Heinz

wow your cities are big time with all the bridges they can afford lol. you seem to be having difficulty with the pw, my man. if you could find a way to hide the edges of pw close to those cliffs, you'll be well on your way. and at the bottom of the screen, the colors of the water vary immensely. if you could hide that, too, it would be waaay better. those businesses should provide enough income for a learning mayor like you and i, yeah? see you soon my man

Fred_Ginger

Pat, I'm not sure but it seems to me that if the water from the land 'fell' into the sea/ocean with 'falls' it would make the transition look more natural?
My name is Vicki
Fred and Ginger were my doggies
RIP my babies

dedgren

Pat, hey!

I agree with Vicki (Fred_Ginger) that waterfalls do make an excellent transition technique.  It takes a bit to get the shoreline "just so," but it can certainly be very effective.  Another good thing to do is find a "game" water color that matches the color of your PW, then increase the "murkiness" of your game water in the Reader so that the PW you place under it disappears faster.  I've made a note to go over to 3RR-ST and take a look for where I discussed how to do that once- when I find it, I'll bring it over here as a mini-tutorial.

That's a lot of bridges, my friend...

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

thundercrack83

I love all the bridges and the ploppable water looks fantastic, too! Keep up the good work!

bat

wonderful work and great using of ploppalbe water! :thumbsup:

Pat

Ok a little time off from my MD sorry about that y'all i didnt mean too but RL took a long haul last few
days. Between having training with the fire department and running our butts with medical calls last few days has
taken a small toll on my MD/SimCity time.  I would like to thank you guys and gals for commenting these last few days.  &apls So as we last where here a few comments where made about how to go shore line into the ocean, this is the problem im
facing i've been trying to work it around the seaport i got here.

So a little later i will have more progress pics up as to what i have done again to Big Shur.  So if any one
know in how i can work that pic a little better it would be awsome ty - pat