• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Scenic Routes Around the World #42 - FIFA World Cup Special

Started by eugenelavery, February 05, 2012, 06:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooker1

Great looking airport and very nice work on the shorelines.

Robin :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

apeguy

I'm a big fan of airports in SC4, and yours is very nice! The only negative I can think of is how close the taxiway is to the passenger terminal. With that 747 parked there, most planes won't be able to continue down the taxiway. From what I can see in the pics you could probably move the taxiway and the runway a few tiles across, so the gates and the planes aren't squeezed between the terminal and the taxiway. ;) Other than that, another great update! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

bat

Fantastic new images of that airport on this nice island. :)

eugenelavery

Replies

nbvc:  As usual, MMP flora makes all the difference.  Your sea walls are awesome too!
noahclem: Thanks, airports are fun to build.
rooker1: Thanks, Robin!
apeguy: The planes don't actually have to squeeze down the taxiway as they just take the closest entrance from the runwau and go straight to the gate.  I agree that the airport is very crowded and a 747 is unrealistic, but I wanted a Saudi Arabian plane in there.  This airport is actually a to-scale recreation of a real-life airport.
bat: Thznks for your compliments!

Just a hint of what is to come when we visit the capital of the Mahibadhoos, Dhiraagu.

RickD

My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

noahclem

Awesome teaser  &apls  The shoreline is really unique  :thumbsup:

carlfatal

Wonderful pictures wherever i looked!
And i like Your work with the LE: it´s outstanding how You bring together buildings, and how they fit together although a lot of the BATs aren´t middle eastern originally.
Greetz, Carl

rooker1

Very nice teaser indeed. 
The city looks great but in this case I think the water does not.  Maybe add some of JRJ Rural Culverts And Water Effects.  I suggest the pollution one...it will darken up the water in only the areas you plop the effect.  Just a thought though, give it a try and see what you think.

Call me Robin, please.

eugenelavery

Replies:

RickD: Thanks, hope you enjoy today's update!
noahclem: Those NOB seaport pieces combined with Lot Editor really create something special.
carlfatal: I use a very diverse set of buildings as there aren't many middle eastern or north african BATs out there.
rooker1: I understand what you mean about the water, I have to perfect my photo editing so that the water doesn't look so bright.  I will try those JRJ effects though.  Thanks for your advice.

Dhiraagu is the capital and most populous city in the Mahibadhoos. With a 103,000 people crammed into 6 square kilometres (2 square miles), Dhiraagu contains a third of the Mahibadhian population and almost every Mahibadhian at some point either lives in or visits the city as it is the center of all administration and bureaucracy. The population has increased 80,000 in the last 25 years. The city of Dhiraagu is the only ordinary Mahibadhian city that tourists are permitted to visit and experience the traditional Islamic culture of the nation.

In the mosaic below you can see the bustling port on the northern shore of the island and the marina where tourists enter the city. Tourists can immediately immerse themselves in the main business district of the city and Jumhoree Maidhaan - the central square which is bordered by the National Islamic Centre, the National Military Headquarters, and the National Police Headquarters. Just behind the National Islamic Centre is the Sultan Park - the national garden of the Mahibadhoos. Jumhoree Maidhaan has been the center of much protest lately as the Mahibadhian people have been fighting against government corruption and poor living standards.

Also near Jumhoree Maidhaan is the ancient Friday Mosque - the oldest structure in the country with its historic graveyard.

Across the street from the Friday Mosque is Muliaage - the Presidential Palace which is also a historic building. Contrasting both the Friday Mosque and Muliaage is the Velaanaage Office Building, the largest and most modern office structure in the nation.

In a bid to improve living standards and happiness on the island the government decided to construct a man-made beach to offer a small escape from the hustle and bustle of the cramped capital. The man-made beach was built on reclaimed land and is a hit with the locals - most tourists leave their beach-going until they reach the resort islands.

By night, Dhiraagu continues to bustle with the entertainment tonight being an international football match at the National Stadium between the Mahibadhoos and Cape Verde.

Over at Jumhoree Maidhaan, the green glow of the Presidential Palce illuminates the night sky.

Please join me next time as we continue our tour of Dhiraagu.

Uzil

Very nice, I like particularly the mosaic and the beach  :)

noahclem

Excellent update  &apls

I love the night shots and mosaic. Ten replies til the Best Sellers  :thumbsup:

rooker1

Another great update.
I really like the break in the seawall and the beach there.  Very well done and great idea.

Robin
Call me Robin, please.

Yoder7652

Spent this morning looking over your updates so far, and you have a very special MD here. Love the look and feel of your pics.

RickD

Awesome. Great Update. I like what you did with the seawalls along the beach.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

eugenelavery

Replies:

Uzil: Thanks, I think the beach turned out quite well.
noahclem: Thanks for your kind words.  I always find night shots take a bit more editing to get just right.  Best Sellers here we come!
rooker1: Thanks for being such a regular visitor to this MD.
Yoder7652: Glad you like the MD.
RickD: Gurry's sea walls really work well.  It took me about a year to find them but I think it was worth the searching!

Today we continue our tour of Dhiraagu, the capital city of the Mahibadhoos.  Dhiraagu is an extremely crowded city but as you can see, there are a few areas reserved for recreation - these basketball and football courts being a good example of this.

Dhiraagu has a sizeable commercial port that is the second biggest in the country.  Banidhoo, which we saw in an earlier update has the nations biggest port.

Another spot of recreation, Henveiru Stadium (capacity 500) which is home to local soccer club Eagles FC and acts as a training ground for the Mahibadhian national team when the National Stadium is unavailable.

For now, another Mahibadhian day comes to a close under the glow of the National Islamic Centre.

apeguy

The last two updates have been fantastic. &apls &apls I love the crowded feel of the city, is it based on Malé in the Maldives? Because it looks a lot like it. :)

Keep up the good work. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

eugenelavery

Replies:

Only one reply... :(

apeguy: Thanks for your kind comments.  Yes, Dhiraagu is indeed based on Malé in the Maldives - infact it is essentially a recreation of the city within the limitations of SC4.

A couple of mosaics today which prominently display the National Sports Complex which contains basketball and tennis courts, football training fields, and the National Cricket Stadium. Cricket is a rapidly growing sport in the Mahibadhoos, despite being one of the lowest ranked national teams.

And finally, a mosaic which shows the entire island of Dhiraagu; I think this shot shows just how crowded the capital city is. The small size of the island is popular with tourists as they can walk the entire city and experience centuries of Mahibadhian culture in one afternoon before heading off to the resort islands

(Please treat the following image as unofficial as I don't consider its appearance to be up to the standards I wish to set in this CJ - unfortunately the sea walls I use do not look great at this zoom level and some of the buildings have a strange appearance also).

rooker1

Great job!  You have a very realistic looking city. 
Everything fits together very well, all the buildings are similiar in size and that harbor looks great as well.
Love it all!!

Call me Robin, please.

Evillions8

Love your work man!  It never disappoints me.  &apls

You managed to pull off a great city without having to use gleaming skyscrapers.

eugenelavery

You have seen transparent oceans, golden beaches, islands covered in rubbish, bustling islands teeming with people, and an airport island.  But now it is time to say farewell to the Mahibadhoos.

Replies:
rooker1: Thanks for visiting.  Glad you like the whole island of Dhiraagu.
Evillions8:  Yes, things can be interesting even without skyscrapers.

Next reply get's me to 100 replies for this MD and promotion to the Best Sellers category.

Today we end our trip to the Mahibadhoos with how we started - a visit to a resort island.  Gurabadhoo is an uninhabited island which is popular with tourists who wish to spend a day or two on a 'desert island' and really get away from the world.

I hope you have enjoyed our trip through the Mahibadhoos, we may return again one day.  But for now it is time to move on to another member nation of the Zouérat Islamic Federation.  Find out which country is next on our travels in the next update!