• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Expanding Scope of Disable Bridge Wash Effect

Started by morcup, February 07, 2014, 07:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

morcup

Hello all.

I recently downloaded the Disable Bridge Wash Effect Mod, and I am pleased with what it has done for the Maxis bridges.  I'm a pretty heavy NAM user, so most of my region's bridges  are still unprotected (from the dastardly effects of bridge wash).  I've rummaged around the mod files with Ilive Reader and have a basic idea of how the mod disables the bridge wash effect, but I am at a crossroads from here...

Based off of what you've done, I see that each NAM bridge could be modified individually to disable this wash effect, but I was wondering if there might be a more efficient way of achieving this same goal.  So finally we arrive at my questions...

Is there any evidence of a master bridge wash effect exemplar that could be changed to disable this effect on all bridges.  If so, could I be pointed in its direction? 

Thanks for all you've done for the community, and thanks for your time.

Eric

memo

I'd guess that the wash effect is initially defined in the Effect Directory file and could be disabled there, but it's just a guess. However, there are only very few people who understand the contents of this file and who successfully created their own EffDirs. So, unless you are an experienced modder and know how to use HexEdit, I assume it would be most efficient for you to edit all the bridges individually, nevertheless. After all, there aren't that many of them.

morcup

Thanks for the quick reply.  The Effect Directory seems like a logical place for that property to reside in.  And no, I'm not at all a modder at present.  I'd like to think that I'm an expert user of mods, and that I have an above understanding of how the mods work, but I'm still a long ways off from being able to make any useful contributions.  But, perhaps someday.  The amount of customization/improvement that modders have brought to this game is astounding, and I really hope that someday I'll be able to contribute something as well.