• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Kingdom of Ruritania - Updated 5th Jan (pg.4)

Started by Revol, September 14, 2007, 11:37:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revol

Welcome to the Kingdom of Ruritania!

The Kingdom of Ruritania is a small land in Eastern Europe famous for its turbulent history, stunning scenery, romantic castles, tasty beers, delicious cakes and of course it's very beautiful women. ;)

Notes:

My nation of Ruritania is loosely based on the fictional country of the same name from the 19th century novel 'The Prisoner of Zenda' by Anthony Hope.

If you see some of your BATS and creations in my city I wish to thank you for adding to my enjoyment of the game with your wonderful creations!

Now let me introduce the gallant young ladies of the Royal Ruritanian Womens Infantry Brigade...they shall be your tour guides through this land! They are the personal bodyguard of the King of Ruritania, handpicked by the beloved monarch himself. Try not to let their smart uniforms distract you...

Contents:

History
History - Part 1
Sightseeing
University Platz
Royal Harem and Kabaret Distrikt
Current Events
Stropon Embassy
Liberty Islands Embassy
St. Gustav Christmas Festival
War of 1807 Reconciliation
Imperial Kingdom of Atlantis Embassy

Facts

Capital City: Streslau

Largest Cities and towns:  Streslau, Hentzau, Strackenz, Zenda.

Major Rivers: Danube, Dracu.

Borders: Serbia, Croatia, Hungary, Stropon, Slovenia, Romania, Czech Republic.

Official Languages: Ruritanische, Ruritanjic (Slavic), German, Turkish.

Currency: Domar

Government: Constitutional Monarchy
Monarch: King Alexander von Elphberg-Rassendyll II
Prime Minister: Count Gustav Von Dervolk

Demographics: 65% Ruritanian, 20% Slav, 10% Muslim, 1% Roma, 4% Other

Religion: 65% Roman Catholic, 20% Eastern Orthodox, 10% Muslim, 3% Jewish, 2% Protestant

Diplomatic Relations: The Empire of Stropon, The Republic of Liberty Islands, The Imperial Kingdom of Atlantis

The National Flag

The Royal Crest

The Royal Crest of Ruritania depicts the two headed Imperial Eagle of the Von Elphberg Royal household. The Eagle carries a traditional Ruritanian Scimitar in one claw (a symbol of the countries might) and a copy of the 1848 constitution in the other (a symbol of democracy). The Coat of Arms in the centre of the crest depicts a Gauntlet and a Rose, the emblems of the 1848 peoples revolution.

Sightseeing

Here are some shots from Streslau, the capital city of Ruritania. This is the Bardu district of the city, in the heart of the Altstadt (old town)...

The Church of the Immaculate Conception sits in the centre of the district.

It's graveyard is the oldest in the city. It is the final resting place of 4 medieval kings of Ruritania!

Bardu is famous for it's traditional taverns, and beer is the favourite drink of Ruritanians ;)

The King Karl bridge which spans the river Dracu...

And after dark it's a great place for a drink in the many pubs and taverns...

Sometimes it's easy to drink too much in Bardu...*hic* See you soon!

thundercrack83

Wow! Impressive start so far, Revol! I love the feel of Ruritania! I do have a question for you: Where did you find those stone roadways that you used on the King Karl Bridge?

paroch

Nice new MD.

I like the way it's an old fashioned 'altstadt' but you've sneaked in a modern building or two - much more realistic.

I look forward to the next update.

Yoder7652

wow...very nice! I like the style and feel of your MD so far (I believe I recall seeing this at ST, yes?). The bridge is very well done....great start, I look forward to more from Ruritania. ;D

Yoman

Very impressive start there, I love the gatehouse on the entrance to the bridge over the Canal. I will look in next time you update for sure :)

Asimov

Wow, a fantastic compilation of bats, a very homogenous appearance of the city, well done.
BTW, take a look at this site: http://kurier.simcityplaza.de/
You'll find lot's of useful BATs there, that will fit well into your city-building style, many modern W2W-buildings that blend in very well with older ones.

bat

Wonderful start there and great pictures of that city! :thumbsup:

kwakelaar

I think this is one of the best made Altstadt I have ever seen, it looks gorgeous!

Gretta

Im not really into the whole European themed Mjs but this ones really great. good job!

nova vesfalo

wonderful , the Imaculate Conception church is reallt nice place in the center of the city block with graves in the alley, sweet details ! the bridge with the old foricfication gate makes me think "Praha !" (brw in my opinion I will add just 2 or 3 square more of fortification at the both side of the gate.

Very nice start !

Strechnitz

Nice start of your MD Revol
I like the titel and espescially the subtitle. Royalty and Revolutions that promises a lot of fun :thumbsup:

The pics are also very nice and promising. the bridge is indeed reminiscent of the the karolbrücke in Prague.
I look forward to the rest of Royal Ruritania.

Strechnitz.
Your favorite "deliciously deviant" Empire is Back after a 2 month pause

Click on the picture above to visit Stropon.

Revol

Replies

thundercrack83 - Thank you! I think I got them on the STEX, they are made by Glenni I believe.

paroch - Thanks! Yeah realism is my goal, so I am happy you noticed that!  :)

Yoder7652 - Thanks Yoder! Yes it was on ST, in a different guise. This is a totally new map, new city layout etc I got a bit tired of the old one, I was never happy with the region map. The new one is much better suited to what I want Ruritania to be.

Yoman - Thanks!  :)

Asimov - Thanks for the link! I am familiar with that site, but I actually found some new stuff I had passed by in the past, cheers!

bat - Thank you!

kwakelaar - Thank you very much!  ;D Your wonderful creations will feature heavily in my altstadt, particularly your castle pieces!

Gretta - Cheers, glad you like it!

nova vesfalo - Thanks! Prague is a definate inspiration for me in creating Streslau  :) The other side of the bridge will have more fortifications, thanks for the tip!

Strechnitz - Thank you very much!  :) I really enjoy your M.D, Stropon and Ruritania probably aren't too far away from each other geographically ;)

capo

Wow this looks really great, it's the european atmosphere Im aiming for myself in my cities.

I just have one question, in the first pic in the top right corner...what are those buildings? They would look awesome in my recently started Dutch city :)

The complete history of Evergem ->My Mayor Diary <-
Come and visit Paroch Plein!

Strechnitz

Hi Revol,

Indeed I believe our nations almost border each other when it comes to the geographic placement on the map of Europe. we could do something with that in the future. "$Deal"$

BTW. if you have read the prisoner of Zenda. Are you by any chance familiar with the persiflage of the story made in the "Flashman" series?  If not you may like it. In the second volume of the series, "Flash Royal" the plot is taken to new heights (or depts) turning it into a cesspit of plotting and skinsaving hypocrits. complete with Bismarck wanting to rule europe and the princess (Duchess in the Flashman version) not being so innocent as in the original story. :D

Strechnitz.
Your favorite "deliciously deviant" Empire is Back after a 2 month pause

Click on the picture above to visit Stropon.

Revol

capo - Thanks!  :) Those buildings are by Vanderaap, and are available on the STEX. There is a wealth of Dutch BATs online, you guys are really lucky!

Strechnitz - That would be wonderful!  :) And yes I know that book very well, I love the Flashman series!  :D In fact I am planning on naming one of the towns Strackenz after the city in the book  ;) The map that McDonald Fraser drew for the book is an influence on my layout of Ruritania too. I'll probably incorporate some of the shady characters into my history of Ruritania too...maybe the bald Flashman will even make an appearance  ;D haha

capo

Thanks Revol! I downloaded two complete sets of dutch buldings, vanderaap and tdoorn and I must admit that I spent until 3 AM last night playing SC :D

One of the main reasons it took that long is that it takes forever to grow these great vda buildings...do you have any hints on how to get them faster perhaps?

sorry for being such a noob ;)

looking forward to the next update of your city, Im learning a lot from these MDs

Revol

Quote from: capo on September 18, 2007, 01:54:12 AM
Thanks Revol! I downloaded two complete sets of dutch buldings, vanderaap and tdoorn and I must admit that I spent until 3 AM last night playing SC :D

One of the main reasons it took that long is that it takes forever to grow these great vda buildings...do you have any hints on how to get them faster perhaps?

sorry for being such a noob ;)

looking forward to the next update of your city, Im learning a lot from these MDs

You are welcome! I know that feeling well of finding a treasure trove of new BATs and playing the game for hours afterwards  :D

I don't know how to get them to grow quicker (if anyone else has tips it would be much appreciated!). Most of the ones in the pictures above were commercial buildings I 'plopped' using the plop buildings cheat. It only seems to work with commercials though, if you a plop a growable residential it will turn black after a while  &mmm

TheTeaCat

What a wonderful start to an MD &apls.

Some superb bats featured in a realistic setting. I shall be bookmarking this for future perusal ;D

Regards
Derry

Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

capo

Quote from: Revol on September 18, 2007, 07:58:09 AM
You are welcome! I know that feeling well of finding a treasure trove of new BATs and playing the game for hours afterwards  :D

I don't know how to get them to grow quicker (if anyone else has tips it would be much appreciated!). Most of the ones in the pictures above were commercial buildings I 'plopped' using the plop buildings cheat. It only seems to work with commercials though, if you a plop a growable residential it will turn black after a while  &mmm

Thanks for answering, guess it's time for me to start plopping as well but then again...I dont like to plop, I like to grow :)

Every day is like finding a treasure for me lately, there are so many great buildings out there to download.. perhaps in the future (when Im more experienced playing SC) I will create a MD as well, until then I will keep on checking the ones posted.

Can't wait for the next update mate!