• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Kingdom of Ruritania - Updated 5th Jan (pg.4)

Started by Revol, September 14, 2007, 11:37:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schulmanator

Nice stuff! I do like your style.  :)
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

Revol

Replies!

Zaphod - Thanks!  :)

keyboardconfessional - Thank you!  ;)

Strechnitz - Glad you like them!  ;)

Shadow Assassin - Thanks, I try to get it as realistic as possible.

Schulmanator - Cheers!

Revol

The Kingdom of Ruritania and the Empire of Stropon have re-opened diplomatic relations after 200 years of hostility. A new Stroponian embassy has just been formally opened in the Ruritanian capital of Streslau. The governments of the two nations are hopeful this will lead to closer ties between the neighbouring countries.

The new Stroponian Embassy in Streslau. The location was chosen because the building is located next door to the tiny Simeon Church of Streslau, the place of worship for the cities small ethnic Stroponian population.

The embassy looks out onto the river Dracu.

From this view you can see the towers of beautiful Streslau Castle.

Allegations that the Ruritanian secret service have espionage offices located in the apartments next door to the embassy are of course false...

And now let's see how the Ruritanian media broke the story...

More on Stropo-Ruritanian relations soon...

kwakelaar

Seems the Ruritanians have a veeery long memory, come on people the war of 1807  ::), time to forgive and forget.

A very nice district with all the timber frame buildings.

bat

That embassy is looking fantastic and nice area around it! Nice newspaper :thumbsup:

Revol

Replies!

kwakelaar - Yeah the Ruritanians are indeed a stubborn bunch, and don't easily forget being wronged in the past. They are notoriously nationalistic too.

bat - Thanks! 'Der Ruritanische Widerstand' was once a revolutionary, left-wing newspaper. but these days it's more interested in celebrity scandals and sports than real news  ;)

bokrif

Hi Revol!
I thought Ruritania ended, when you stoped updateing on ST, but now I am extremly happy to see Ruritania here!
And fantastic updates.
Really sweet banners  :P and Ruritania has a really cute foreign minister. We ought to get acquainted with her.

== Official transcript from the Liberty Islands Ministry of Foreign Affairs ==
To Eva Von Hentzau, Foreign Minister of Kingdom of Ruritania
The Republic of Hungary and the Republic of Liberty Islands (Szabadság-szigetek in Hungarian) agreed to operate a shared embassy in Ruritania. If the Ruritanian Foreign Administration allows it, then Liberty Islands want to open a new embassy in Streslau and it will house the Hungarian ambassador too.
Benedek Halaszy, the minister of foreign affairs of Liberty Islands hopes, that this can be the beginning of a very succesful relation (both cultural, economical, and other means)!
== End of official transcript ==

Revol

Quote from: BoKriF on November 29, 2007, 11:45:56 AM
Hi Revol!
I thought Ruritania ended, when you stoped updateing on ST, but now I am extremly happy to see Ruritania here!
And fantastic updates.
Really sweet banners  :P and Ruritania has a really cute foreign minister. We ought to get acquainted with her.

Thanks!  ;D I'm glad you remember my c.j on ST. I have changed it a lot, so I thought a fresh start was needed! And I'm glad you like Ruritania's Foreign Minister  ;)

== Official transcript from the Liberty Islands Ministry of Foreign Affairs ==
To Eva Von Hentzau, Foreign Minister of Kingdom of Ruritania
The Republic of Hungary and the Republic of Liberty Islands (Szabadság-szigetek in Hungarian) agreed to operate a shared embassy in Ruritania. If the Ruritanian Foreign Administration allows it, then Liberty Islands want to open a new embassy in Streslau and it will house the Hungarian ambassador too.
Benedek Halaszy, the minister of foreign affairs of Liberty Islands hopes, that this can be the beginning of a very succesful relation (both cultural, economical, and other means)!
== End of official transcript ==

To Benedek Halaszym, Foreign Minister of Szabadság-szigetek,

We are truly honoured that you wish to open an embassy in our capital city. It is our dear wish that our two great nations can form closer diplomatic relations, and we wish the same with our neighbour of Hungary.
Your new embassy is located in Magyar Haus, deep in Streslaus old town. We hope you find your new accommodation most comfortable.
We hope to open an embassy for our Kingdom in your nation also!

Yours sincerely,
Eva Von Hentzau (Foreign Minister to his Majesty the King)

The Embassy's of the Republic of Liberty Islands and Hungary

ElPhantasmo69

This is a great md! Ruritania is filled with unsurpassed beauty and the cities are really nice too!

Revol

Quote from: ElPhantasmo69 on November 30, 2007, 07:58:57 AM
This is a great md! Ruritania is filled with unsurpassed beauty and the cities are really nice too!

:D Thank you!  :thumbsup:

Welcome to the Dezemberfest Christmas Markets and Beer Festival!

A birds eye view of Saint Gustav Square, the location for the annual festival!

Night time views of the market area around the Church of Saint Gustav...

You can enjoy some mulled wine and roasted almonds as you wander the vast Christmas Markets...

Across the road are the Beer Halls and amusement park!

The nearby Streslauer Brewery, the main provider of the festivals beer.

Cheers! ;D

ElPhantasmo69

HEY! Pages 3 - 10 were missing from my newspaper!  ()sad()

Love the christmas market - it reminds me of the one in Graz that I went to in Austria.

bat

That Christmas market is looking fantastic, Revol! And wonderful pictures! :thumbsup:

Schulmanator

What can I say? I thought the town was awesome... then I saw the newspaper! Is it possible to square awesome? If so, this update is awesome squared! a 2 !
&apls
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

bokrif

Great updates and I am sure I remembered Ruritania. You know I missed it very much when you stoped it on ST.
The new pictures are even better. Old Ruritania was great too, but you managed to do even better. Congratulations.
Ruritania Embassy is undergoing reconstructions as the Foreign Ministry doesn't want to hand over a creepy old and dirty block to Ruritania. And for bad news, I got serious RL tasks. Maybe I will make a new upadte in 2 or 3 weeks. Bloody exams..

============================
To Eva Von Hentzau, Foreign Minister to her Majesty, Kingdom of Ruritania:
The Szabadság-szigetek and Hungary is glad to have our embassy in such a nice neighbourhood. I am sure our ambassador and his staff will make attendance at the Dezemberfest Christmas Markets and Beer Festival, which is a respected cultural event. Maybe the Foreign Ministry will organize a smaller Ruritanian Dezemberfest in Szabadrév for cultural exchange. Beer is part of our national heritage ad culture.
Yours truly,
Benedek Halaszy
Foreign Minister, Szabadság-szigetek

============================

Revol

Replies!

ElPhantasmo69 - That's a pity  $%Grinno$% pages 3-10 were a good read  ;)

bat - Thank you!  :)

Schulmanator -  :D Thanks, I appreciate it!

BoKriF - No problem, take your time! :) Good luck with your exams!

Emperor Stormont

I am somewhat confused as to how I have not seen this MD before. I was indeed directed from Stropon, a diplomatic ally of Atlantis.

I am very very impressed by your work, the cities are fantastic and I love the feel and look of them as well as the history.

I would like to offer The Kingdom of Ruritania the opportunity of diplomatic relations with the Imperial Kingdom of Atlantis. If your government agree then a more official announcement can be made  ;)

The Imperial Atlantean Empire MD <-- click to view
A new Beginning
Trixie Nominated CJ
2007 & 2008

Yoman

Be sure to save me a pint of beer. That festival looks great, some really good lot editing going on. I'm sure that brewery makes quite alot of money this time of year  :P

Revol

Replies!

Emperor Stormont - Thank you very much!  :) I have always been really impressed with your M.D, so it would be a huge honour for Ruritania to have diplomatic relations with the mighty Atlantis!  ;D

Yoman - Thanks!  :) I'll make sure to save a pint of beer just for you!  ;)

kwakelaar

This was a great looking update, you have really been able to capture the Christmas atmosphere in the St Gustav Square. Nice details around the festival area and the parts of Streslau we get to see are very promising. The mix of buildings and the church is making a lovely ensamble around the square.

Revol

Here is my joint update with Strechnitz! Don't forget to check his The Neo Byzantine Empire of Stropon for his updates!

Welcome to a Ruritanian Televison & Radio News Special!

"Good afternoon, I am Maria Larovich, your host for this afternoons RTR special on the reconciliation ceremony between our Kingdom of Ruritania and the Empire of Stropon. 200 years ago today our gallant forces under the command of Crown Prince Alexander and Prince Nicholas fought so bravely against the might of the forces of Stropon, only to have victory snatched away at the last moment. On that black day in 1807, Ruritania not only lost her heir to the throne, but also many of her precious treasures, including the royal crown worn by the kings of Ruritania since the restoration after Ottoman rule! Now after 200 years, Stropon has agreed to hand back these treasures as our two nations form closer ties and a significant thaw in the frosty relationship begins."

"Now let me introduce Dr Vladimir Hardheim of the University of Strackenz, the nations foremost expert on the history of our nation. Dr Hardheim can you give our viewers some historical background to the events that are taking place today?"

"Good afternoon Maria. In 1807 Europe was a fractured continent. Ruritania as you know was allied with Napoleon and the French Empire. Ruritanian cavalry were, and still are, regarded as the finest military horsemen in Europe, and Napoleon was only too happy to include regiments of Ruritanian cavalry in his armies. Ruritania in return was a powerful nation in the region, our borders were expanding and our influence was immense for a relatively small country. However in contrast, our neighbour, the mighty Empire of Stropon was in turmoil. The bloody War of Succession had shook the country to it's core. It needed to recover, to consolidate. In other words it needed a distraction, and that distraction was a war with Ruritania."

"How did the war come about Dr Hardheim?"

"Enter the infamous "Strübling papers". They apparently stated that Stropon had a legitimate claim on the then Ruritanian province of Strübling. For the Duchy of Strübling which had never been a part of the empire was supposedly given to Stropon by testament in the will of Gustav IX, the last Duke of Strübling. One of the famous prisoners who met his doom in the dark dungeons of Zenda."

Gustav IX, the last Duke of Strübling. As a prisoner of Zenda.

"You see Strübling was only conquered by Ruritania in 1612. Which as you know was then under Ottoman control. After the restoration of the Elphberg monarchy as rulers of Ruritania in 1683, the citizens of the Duchy of Strübling asked King Nikolas I to let them break away and regain their independence. He, of course, refused. Strübling became a province of Ruritania, and remained so until 1807. After which the people of Strübling were, I have to say, a lot happier with their lot."

"So the annexation of Strübling by Stropon was not so unwelcome to the citizens of the Duchy?"

"Precisely. Ruritania is not such an innocent in these events, which is of course contrary to what we were all taught in school. As you know, our nation is an ethnically diverse land, and in 1807 the Strüblingens were one of the lowest in the ethnic order. They were treated no more than serfs by their Ruritanian landlords, and it wasn't much better for the ethnic Stroponians who also lived in Ruritania. Their religion was suppressed, and their lands could easily be confiscated on the mere whim of the ruling classes. Gustav IX, the last Duke of Strübling, had enormous sympathy for his people, and there is evidence to suggest that he was planning a war of independence, perhaps with the support of Stropon."

"That certainly is a surprise Doctor. As you said, we have always been told Ruritania was the poor helpless nation standing up to the larger evil aggressor! So how did the famous battle of Sergu plain come about?"

King Rudolf II

"Stropon demanded the Duchy, citing the infamous "Strübling papers". In reply, King Rudolf II famously declared that the Stroponion ambassador could shove his demand for the return of Strübling "where the sun doesn't shine", and that the Empress could do *ahem* something similar with their document, The Stroponions were of course outraged by the words of the notoriously frank Rudolf II."

"Haha, I guess not everyone is used to the Ruritanian sense of humour!"

" *ahem* Yes, quite. Anyway, that outburst was just the excuse the Stroponions needed to declare war on Ruritania. The stage was set, and the war of 1807 began. After a few insignifcant battles and skirmishes along the border, both main armies faced off across the plain of Sergu."

"And can you fill us in on the details of that famous battle Dr Hardheim?"

"Of course. The Ruritanian high command were led by the two princes, Alexander and Nicholas. Alexander, the heir to the throne, was 34 years old. He was an expert horseman. A champion in fact! He led his beloved Black Hussars, the dreaded Totenkopf Knights! Famed for their ferocity in battle, and their chilling skull and crossbones emblem on their helmets."

Crown Prince Alexander on his famous horse "Black Diamond"

"Prince Nicholas was 26 years old, but already a seasoned soldier! Having studied at the military acadamy in Paris, and having fought along side Napoleon in Egypt. Handsome and charming, he was known as a ladies man, but had only two weeks previously married his sweetheart, Elisabet,a beautiful young noblewoman from Strackenz."

Prince Nicholas in his golden uniform of the Royal Cuirassiers.

"Also commanding the Ruritanian troops that fateful day were Field Marshall Ernst Von Tarlenheim, of the famous political family, and 'The Three Irishmen', General Igor Von Donnell, General Max O'Neill, and Count Cormac Von Murphy. These famous generals were descendents of Irish Gaelic aristocrats who had fled Ireland in the 17th century and sought refuge in Ruritania. These four men, along with the two princes almost won the war against Stropon, a much, much larger force."

"You say 'almost won' Dr Hardheim, what happened?"

"The Ruritanian command had been clever. Knowing the Stroponions had a much larger force, and suspecting that they arrogantly thought of us as a bunch of peasents. The generals positioned our army on top of the hills overlooking the plain. The Stroponions were below us, and pinned in by the high ground. The Ruritanian cavalry swooped down and began their butchery, the Stropon regiments were cut to ribbons. It was a major psychological blow to the Stropon army, and they fell into disarray. The Ruritanian cavalry as I have said, was one of the best in Europe, and they made short work of the oncoming Stropon infantry regiments."

The Royal Totenkopf Lancers. The elite cavalry of the Ruritanian army.

The Kings Royal Guards

The fearsome Totenkopf Black Hussars

Prince Alexander in his Totenkopf uniform.

"If it was going so well for us Doctor, what went wrong? How did we lose?!"

"Two words: 'The Imperator'. After 7 hours of bloodshed, it looked like Ruritania was about to pull off the impossible, a total rout of a much larger army. However Prince Nicholas was wounded during the fighting, and brought back to a field hospital. Hearing of his brothers calamity, Alexander rode back to check on his beloved brother. Then as a desperate last stand, the Stroponions unleashed the largest cannon in Europe, The Imperator. Unfortunately it's cannon ball landed near Alexander and his horse. Blowing them to pieces. The heir to the throne was dead. The second in line was in a critical condition. A grief stricken King Rudolf II, who was behind our lines at the time, decided enough was enough, he was not about to lose two sons for "this Godforsaken little Duchy" and ordered his Generals to sue for peace. They protested, but as you know, the word of the King is law."

General Von Tarlenheim informing his troops to cease fire. All was lost.

"The Stroponions made the most cruel demands, along with the Duchy of Strübling, and compensation for their losses, they also demanded the royal crown jewels. The Ruritanians agreed. And 200 years of hatred had begun."

"And here we are 200 years later. Thank you Dr Hardheim for that history lesson. In a moment we shall show you the precious crown jewels that are being returned to our kingdom. Emperor Jerome Victor IV is the guest of honour at the celebrations in Streslau city today, and he brings with him these fabulous treasures from Ruritanian history."

The royal crown. Worn by the Ruritanian kings from Nickolas I till King Rudolf II.

The royal crown of Queen Mikala.

The royal sceptre.

The royal orb. With the fabled blue Janic diamond.

The royal wedding tiara, worn by Princess Elisabet at her wedding with Prince Nicholas.

The pearl tiara of Princess Osra.

The legendary Blue Sultan, spoil of the liberation war against the Ottoman Empire in 1683.

The blood coral and pearl cameo set.

The fabled Elphberg rubies. Set in white gold and surrounded by Quitanianian diamonds.

"Beautiful! I wouldn't mind getting a Christmas present like that! Earlier today King Alexander II of Ruritania and Emperor Jerome Victor IV of Stropon, attended a joint memorial ceremony at the sight of the battle. It was the first time a Ruritanian royal has visited the war graves of the Ruritanian army at Sergu plain, his majesty also visited the memorial on the spot where Prince Alexander was killed."

The Ruritanian Memorial at Sergu.

The memorial to Crown Prince Alexander.

The graves of the fallen Ruritanian soldiers and officers.

The Ruritanian Memorial Hall.

"King Alexander said it was a great day for Ruritania, as our history was finally coming back to us. He also said that he was looking forward to getting to know the Stropon royal family better, and hoped the relations between our two great nations will go from strength to strength."

"The King then traveled along with the Emperor by Royal Ruritanian Air Force helicopter to Streslau. We assume the crown jewels traveled with them! They arrived at the Prince Alexander Memorial Dome in the centre of Streslau a short while ago, a multi-denominational church service will be followed by the handing over the crown jewels to our royal family. The jewels will then be safely deposited in the vaults of the Ruritanian Central Bank. It is rumoured they will go on public exhibition in the following weeks."

"Here we see his majesty givng thanks to God at the memorial service in the Dome. We can now go live to our Newscopter which is showing us a birds-eye view of the Memorial Dome in Streslau."

"That concludes our broadcast for today. I hope you enjoyed our News Special. And I wish to say Hello to all our new friends watching us live across the border in Stropon! Good Evening and God Save the King!"

;D