• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Additional SAM textures - Nominations open

Started by Diggis, April 12, 2008, 11:18:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nardo69

Diggis, I definately am not the most experienced personhere when it comes to network pieces, in addition to this I am rather busy with a large lot project (large in meaning of way more than 100 Lots) but I do have some basic texture knowledge and may try itsome help from here and/or the SFBT.

I would do it but it'll need its time ... and as said above the creator of the tar sealed streets textures seems to be MIA ...

Diggis

drives back over the sam
Quote from: Warrior on April 14, 2008, 11:55:06 PM
Just thought of something, the RHW-4 is a one way network but uses the same technology as the SAM and is based off a two way network, anyway if the track is one way, and there is a tractor (or whatever) going into a field how does it get out of the field?

It drives back over the same ruts.  However simcity doesn't really allow for that.

Nardo, I wasn't really taking a dig, and maybe someone else will get inspired.  I'm not sure what the protocol would be on using this as there really is a lot of modification to do these so you might be able to recreate them.

Alfred.Jones

Thanks for your comments Diggis ;)

I have modified the crazy paving base texture, I changed the colour slightly and adjusted the contrast and made it a tad darker.

I also added a custom curb as you suggested and i added some tire marks because it looked too clean.

I have never been strong with photoshop or image/texture creation but i'm quite proud of these.

Although they do look a lot like the cobblestone texture

I also made the Corner square &mmm What do you think? I didn't think the curve suited this base texture

Comment very welcome

AJ :thumbsup:

Sim City 4 Devotion

Diggis

I like it!  :thumbsup:

There seems to be a white line through the kerb on the intersections.  I think it's the base kerb possibly.

The square corner works OK, but it might be an issue with the paths.  Jason might be able to help us more here...

I have one further tip to just make it a bit more real, apply a soft noise filter (in photoshop) which will just take away that 'clean' look. A monochromatic one would be best.

Alfred.Jones

Thanks Diggis.

Yeah, that white line is the base curb that i forgot to remove $%Grinno$%

I will add that filter then show ya the results ;)

Sim City 4 Devotion

jplumbley

Quote from: Diggis on April 15, 2008, 02:17:41 AM
The square corner works OK, but it might be an issue with the paths.  Jason might be able to help us more here...

Its an interesting set thats for sure.  It may look alot like the cobblestone but it is a lighter color, I wouldnt mind seeing the white (or a lighter grey) grout again to keep the the overall look lighter than the original cobblestone, but either way is fine to me.

The square corner is interesting.  I agree that this should be more squared off than the normal corner.  Although, I would suggesta different way of making these more squared off.  Instead of a hard 90 degree turn, what if you rotated the  Kerb bricks on a 45 degree angle and had 2, 3 or 4 at the inner corner and then the far side can maybe be square or maybe it can have 45 degree bricks aswell.  This would give you the intended "hardlined" look you are wanting while allowing for cars to flow through the turn.  You could also transfer this to the intersection corners aswell.

The reason I say go with the 45 degree bricks is because by a RL point of view, turns rarely have a sharp 90 Turn like that, imagine a car misjudging the corner an hitting the hard concrete 90 point it would cause a high chance of popping the tire.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

MandelSoft

Lurk mode: ACTIVE

superhands

Diggis

Bighead, if you are willing to do it, please put your name in the hat.  This isn't a suggestion thread, but a place for people who are willing to do a little work to get their set included.

Alfred.Jones

Quote from: jplumbley on April 15, 2008, 06:04:52 AM
The square corner is interesting.  I agree that this should be more squared off than the normal corner.  Although, I would suggesta different way of making these more squared off.  Instead of a hard 90 degree turn, what if you rotated the  Kerb bricks on a 45 degree angle and had 2, 3 or 4 at the inner corner and then the far side can maybe be square or maybe it can have 45 degree bricks aswell.  This would give you the intended "hardlined" look you are wanting while allowing for cars to flow through the turn.  You could also transfer this to the intersection corners aswell.

The reason I say go with the 45 degree bricks is because by a RL point of view, turns rarely have a sharp 90 Turn like that, imagine a car misjudging the corner an hitting the hard concrete 90 point it would cause a high chance of popping the tire.

Thanks for your suggestion ;)

I was thinking it looked to tight for cars or even buses!! It would be a nightmare to take a bus through that!! :D

Here are the updated textures

I wasn't sure what to do with the yellow texture on the intersections so i left it ()stsfd()

Do you think it needs the 45 on the intersections or just the corner ()what()

Suggestions & comments welcome

AJ :thumbsup:

Sim City 4 Devotion

Diggis

Yeah, looks good.  I like the 45 angle.  Works really well, and the noise has just added a little 'age' to the whole thing. 

I would suggest with the yellow lines maybe use half as many but take them right out to the edge of the 45 corners.

bat

They are looking very nice there, Alfred.Jones! And looking forward to more of these...

MandelSoft

Actualy I don't like the yellow lines. Beside that, it looks better than the old ones.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Pat

AJ that is looking real good there M8!!!! I do agree that some of those yellow lines need to be reduced a little bit...

NB:  here is something Ive been trying I dunno if Im going to go any further but hey its a start for me... My first texturing jobber  ;D

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

RebaLynnTS

Alfred .. I think you should consider making the sharp outer corner a small 45, and replace the yellow square with some type of cross walk.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

j-dub

Yeah, I would second the usage of a crosswalk too. Maybe you could use one for your set as well Pat.

Alfred.Jones

I got rid of the yellow lines and added a crosswalk using bricks...

Let me know what you think ()what()

I also made the outer corner a small 45 as Becca suggested

Thanks for all your suggestions. They are greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Sim City 4 Devotion

CasperVg

Something I tried, tell me what you think,

I'm going to decorate the street's borders some more, i think.
I don't really like it myself, I gotta search for a better asphalt texture, this one is a bit oversized imo.

EDIT: And this?
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

zakuten

My only request is to add something that has a centerline; maybe something in the style of the access drive of a strip-mall.
Visit my MD Respublikii Anaksii , or the reboot CJ "Kara`i Shores" since the region wiped, at http://www.simtropolis.com/cityjournals/?p=toc&id=919 !
All comments are welcome! (Hopefully someday I can re-splice 'em together, but we'll see)

mightygoose

aww AJ i loved the yellow banding.... i think it gave it a real uniqe character....  i do agree that they should be wider and fewer in number however and i also would agree with extending them into the 45 degree corner areas....
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....