• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

How to create Plopable items for the Mayor Menu

Started by jeronij, January 13, 2007, 05:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeronij

Quote from: rusekrax on April 06, 2013, 04:58:12 PM
Hello,

I have two questions
1) can i register range F7EC****, which is also my texture range...?
2) this may be out of place here but since this tread is dealing with MMPs it's worth a try. is there an index somewhere for registering Occupant Groups? In my attempt to stop the wildlife to be spawned all over the place I came across the possibility to use LUA scripts to define and add occupant groups to MMPs and through that spawn automata. Now I would like to create a few of those and would, of course, like to avoid conflicts. I checked my plugins and the new_properties.xml for occupant groups that have been used and it does seem save to use my texture range as well. (since i don't think i'll be making a lot of wealth dependent textures, i could use those ranges for other stuff, right?)

my apologies if this doesn't belong here
rusekrax

Hello, regarding 1) --> Done :)
regarding 2) --> I am sorry but I am not aware of such and index :(. Perhaps you may want to start it? ;)

Quote from: metarvo on April 07, 2013, 05:19:19 AM
May I get a MMP range?  It will be appreciated.  ;)

Done¡¡ I assigned 81BB****. I hope this is ok ;)

Quote from: 2b2gbi on May 04, 2013, 04:30:41 PM
I'd like to reserve 2b2c****, please.

Reserved ¡¡  ;D

Quote from: Bipin on July 06, 2013, 10:14:36 AM
If possible, I wish to reserve the range "B191 _ _ _ _ ".

Also reserved ¡¡¡  :thumbsup:
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

rusekrax

Thank you jeronij! Maybe I will start one in a little while along with a development thread for automated MMPs, if there is any interest in that. Got some tech issues to settle first...

mgb204

Hello, can I request a range for MMPs please, I would like the FFFF range since it appears to be free, but if it's not I would take whatever is available. Thanks.

Just want to add here, in lei of formal conformation, I am using the FFFF range, so please don't also use it :).

Ernestmaxis

I would like to request a MMP Line
Can I have EA533*** till EA534 ***  ?

Girafe

It seems it s free. Take it.

Could a moderator edit the 1st post with this new range, I cannot, ty  ;)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

vortext

updated first post to include mgb's & Ernestmaxis' ranges.

Should probably also update the rest of the content sometime, it's a bit of a mess atm.  &mmm
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

GameFrog

I would like to reserve BBBB**** range if possible. If there's any problem I don't mind using another range.

Thanks. :)

vortext

Seems to be open still, so I've reserved the range.
time flies like a bird

Golhbul

Hello, can I request a range for MMPs please, I would like the DDDD range since it appears to be free, but if it's not I would take whatever is available. Thanks.

Girafe

The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

selles

Hello, could I please reserve the range F72C****?

Also, are there plans to fix the tutorial? It's a little difficult to follow in its current state.

Sorry to bump, but if possible, can I reserve the range F85C****?

vortext

Both ranges were still available so I've reserved them.  :)

And yeah, could have sworn I'd already fixed the tut to some degree, but apparently not. Will look into that.
time flies like a bird

Ernestmaxis

Need an extra range 535*** almost finished can I get the 536*** also?

vortext

Hm according to first post you have range 0xEA53**** which in theory offers space for 65k+ items. . . Now I know you're prolific in the MMP department but having a hard time believing all IIDs are already taken. Also, the next range would be 0xEA54, which is indeed still available if needed.
time flies like a bird

Ernestmaxis

Didnt you remeber this post? ? ? ?:)

At that moment I didnt had the experience with the hexadecimal counting with the range 533 and 534 cause it seems to work without it.
I start counting with numbers and letters on EA53500.
I could have throw all MMP's away but didnt cause you wanted to. At the time I have released the first lex upload I had made 269 MMP's.

A year later I started again with the range of 535
With a count of 393 MMP's with 8 rotable clicks = 3040 clicks
I start counting with numbers and letters on EA53500.
So im on EA535C09 so all the IID from EA535 are beeing used (see document in the attachment)

Hope you understand

Ernest

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[em

Hi Ernest,

yes of course you can also continue in the current range. Though again I'd advice you to keep track and work systematically because it's very easy to lose oversight (speaking from experience here ::)).

Quote from: Ernestmaxis on December 09, 2015, 09:15:36 AM

I have tried them all. All MMP's are working even if I have used a non hexadecimale range.

Hm yeah, I may have explained this poorly. The numerals 0 t/m 9 are part of the hexadecimal system too, so the MMPs will work fine indeed, don't worry.

What's different - and slightly confusing - is that the hexadecimal system also uses letters to count with, namely A(=10), B(=11), C(=12), D(=13), E(=14), F(=15). It's weird to count with letters at first and definitely takes some getting used to.

To take an example from MMP Vending machine 7-Up.dat. The IIDs jumps from EA533779 to EA533780. However, this leaves EA53377A t/m EA53377F unused.

I hope it's clear that skipping those 6 available IIDs will add up to quite a large number of unused IIDs in the long run, especially seeing your new and ambitious project. However, I understand you don't want to change course halfway so just keep the letters in mind for future undertakings.

Finally, it really is a monumental MMP project, it will be greatly appreciated by many for sure!  :thumbsup:

Take care, Erik

mgb204

I don't think anyone wants to stifle creativity or create more work for modders. But if ranges are simply allocated without due care, we'd soon run out of IDs for people to use. It's not practical to maintain a database of randomly selected IDs, we're talking billions of IDs here. So the only way to manage it is to group them into sets based on the prefix or "family" ID. If you've been allocated IDs and skipped the use of some, the best solution is to go back, find those you didn't use and start with them. Giving out new ranges might be the easy solution for you as a modder, but it brings real problems for managing the ranges.

If you need help understanding Hexadecimal IDs, we're willing to talk you through it. In fact, I can go one better. Give me your assigned range, along with the list of used IDs. I'll send you a spreadsheet in numerical order (hex) of the remaining IDs, so you can just tick them off as you use them. I know cases where millions of IDs are basically now unusable because of bad practises in terms of the ordering/management of assigned IDs. Just giving out more in these circumstances is not the solution.

I hope you understand, this isn't meant to tell anyone off, but it's better to work with you and others to teach and resolve problems, than simply try to swerve around them.

twalsh102

Ernest,
Just in case it isn't/wasn't understood (as you weren't familiar with Hex numbers at the time, it obviously wasn't), whenever a range if IDs is allocated (whether here, or for textures, or for family IDs), those numbers replaced by the asterisk denote the ID range you have to work with.

According to Vortext's post, you have the entire range 0xEA53****, this equates to 0xEA530000 - 0xEA53FFFF.  In Hex, this means you have FFFF number of IDs to work with (try to think of the last 4 digits as your working range).  FFFF in hex equates to 65535 in decimal.  So that's how many IDs you can create within the range you currently have allocated to you.  I think you missed Vortext's point that your allocated range is actually bigger than you thought it was.

If your spreadsheet lists all the ranges you've used so for (with each range equating to 8 IDs), you still have a huge number of potential IDs available to you.  As mgb204 said, ID ranges cannot be issued to meet some preconceived numbering scheme.  They have to be issued within a contiguous range, and with the understanding that most or all IDs within the allocated range will be used before a new range is allocated.  Trying to manage allocations any other way just isn't doable.

Since your spreadsheet ends at 5C09, you still have 5C0A - FFFF to work with.  Even if you don't go back and fill in all the holes, that equates to another @42,000 IDs to work with.  If you do go back and use IDs found in the two large existing holes, you have 8300+ unused IDs before your first listed range (0000 - 2091), and another 3900+ between the first and second listed range (209A - 2FFF).  Thereafter, in each listed range until you started using all the hex characters (right about #270), you're were giving up 6 IDs (A-F) in each range (or about 1600 IDs) (trying to go back and recapture those IDs would probably turn into a nightmare for you as far as documenting what's used where, so those IDs are probably realistically lost to you).

Since essentially every item in the game is referenced by a Hex number, as a creator of custom content, while you don't have to be an expert in HEX, a basic understanding is certainly necessary.  Looking at your spreadsheet and reading your post, it looks like your understanding is there now, but you got confused as to what your total range was.

Also, in case you weren't aware, if you open the Calculator available in Windows, and change the view to Programmer, you can easily translate a Hex number to Decimal, or vice-versa.  You can also conduct math operations using Hex numbers, the most useful of which would probably be subtracting the last 4 characters of your last used ID from FFFF, then translate the result to Decimal, to give you an idea of how many remaining IDs you have available.

evarburg

Just checking that thread, and is it only me or does the very first jeronij's post show up as (rather illegible) code ?

Andreas

It's not "illegible code", but rather some former HTML code that doesn't show up as HTML anymore, so the tags are included as plain text. Try to ignore everything that is in <...> brackets, then you should be fine. :)
Andreas