• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

BAT Modeling Tutorial by SimFox Part II

Started by SimFox, November 06, 2007, 06:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Couchpotato

Quote from: Highrise99 on July 19, 2010, 09:49:51 AM
Some of the functions are imposible in gmax. :'(
Is there anything I can do?  (Connect, Bridge, ect.) %bur2$

Hi Highrise 99     When we first started using BAT (2003 era), Maxis folks recommended strongly that we not use boolean.    The pro boolean feature in 3ds max is just that... a much better version.
You can use it (JMeyers does with great success), but be aware that boolean can re-arrange the geometry and place edges and vertex where you don't want them.   Maxis altered GMax to fit in the
game.   Allowing transparency was a last minute decision before it's release and then the staff were all let go.   

There is a 13 month free version of 3ds max for students.   If you qualify, contact Autodesk and get a copy.   

Highrise99

How do you use boolean?  Just wondering: is there any addon for gmax that would add the capabilities I mentioned?

mattb325

@Highrise99: Boolean is possible in GMAX and is quite straight forward.

The first part is to decide which object/spline/mesh you want to cut into (this becomes Operand A) and the second step is to decide what shape you want the cut out to take (this becomes Operand B).

For instance, assume I want to cut out an opening in a sloping roof for an airconditioning or services set up. I have already modelled my roof pieces, so I would then model a simple rectangle in the size and shape that I want the opening in the roof to be.

Make sure that you line the shape up over the area prior to commencing the Boolean operation - I have attached a small picture to show the steps.

Now for the boolean method that I use most often:

1) Select Compound Objects from the right-most tab in the drop down menu;
2) Select the Roof piece (or whatever the object is that you want to cut a new shape into);
3) Select the Boolean button which is now highlighted;
4) A new sub menu will now appear. Select the button called 'Pick Operand B' and ensure that the radio button below is set to Subtraction (A-B). You'll notice that Operand A: is already populated with 'roof' or whichever piece you have selected in point 2);
5) After selecting 'Pick Operand B' the box disappears and you are left with a neat hole in your roof in the shape of the rectangle.

threestooges

Now that's a trick I've been looking to learn for a while.

vester

I use that trick a lot. After it, I redraw the edges and the add a extrude to it.
Remember you can attach lines, circles, arcs ect. to a spline.