• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

A Compendium of Interchanges....

Started by mightygoose, June 02, 2007, 12:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krbe

Sad to see so many interchanges that never materialised...

Quote from: dedgren on February 09, 2008, 03:58:23 PM
I no longer play SC4 on my laptop driving to work, though- I'm too busy using the Lot Editor.
David

David, as an attorney you've surely heard of the legal concept "driving under the influence"? I'm pretty sure that both playing SC4 and using the LE while driving are part of this category.

MandelSoft

Yeah, it's really sad that much of these unrealised interchanges are not included in the NAM (or something like it) ()sad()
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

mightygoose

Update 9

INTERCHANGE THEORY: PART 1, Identifying Interchanges

DISCLAIMER:
This naming system is a hybrid of several globally recognised systems that have been combined and extrapolated to encompass pretty much anything possible in sc4, it is the naming system i will use in this thread from now on i would appreciate if others that post pictures in this thread would do the same.

Okay class lets begin with the basics.

DIAMONDS

A very simple dsign involving two carriageways, usually perpendicular to each other however other angles are perfectly possible, of different grade(grade being quantity of traffic usually handled). The major grade carriageway in a diamond is referred to as the surface road, as it is customary that the road with higher useage has the least deviation from the horizontal. The minor grade carriageway is reffered to in this case as the street. The street may go either over or under the surface road but it will clearly undergo a greater elevation change if both routes intersect on level ground.

Diamonds are the simplest 4 ramp interchanges. They are often used in where there is a very large grade difference in the carriageways such as highways passing through inner boroughs of cities. However they scale up badly. At the ramp/street intersection, unless the street is very low grade, there must be lights. This slows down traffic, and if the street is high grade, cause congestion. Furthermore if the majority of traffic is using only one ramp of the interchange then efficient light timings are going to cause congestion on the street, especially if it is cross-carriageway turning(a left turn in the US or a right in the UK).

This is a Classic Diamond created by Haljackey, in this case the the RHW is the surface road and the avenue is the street. As you can see the street(avenue) undergoes a greater elevation change as previously mentioned. Root word "Diamond".

Common variations in order of prefix.

This is a Lofted Diamond created by Mulefisk. These are far more common in Simcity than Classic Diamonds and occur when the two carriageways interesect at different elevations. The common practice in these instances is to minimise the deviation from level of both carriageways and allowing the ramps to cover the elevation change. This makes sense as they are the slowest part of an interchange. Prefix in combination "Loft-".

This is a Folded Diamond created by Haljackey.  When space is limited two ramps from one side of the interchange are flipped and curled inside the two ramps on the other side. Folded diamonds are entirely a space saving variation. Prefix in combination "Fold-".

This is a Splitfold Diamond created by  Patricius Maximus and is identical to a folded daimond except the two folds are at opposing corners. Prefix in combination "Splitfold-".

A Partfold Diamond is also possible where one side of the interchange is folded and the other classic. Prefix in combination "Partfold-".

Note from author:- I have so far been unable to find a picture of one, but will create this junction later for your viewing

This is a Double Diamond created by Patricius Maximus. It is a named such as there are two independant streets on the same ramps, as is visible in the  upper right part of this image. Triple and Quadruple Diamonds are also possible however at this point it is worth considering other options that will be covered later(i.e. feeder lanes). Prefix in combination "Double/triple/quadruple" followed by a space.

This is a Half Diamond created by Haljackey. This is a restricted access junction that depends entirely on how you set it up. Root word "Half Diamond".

Notes from Author:-

Splitfold Half Diamonds
and Partfold Half Diamonds are impossible, for obvious reasons.

Lofted Diamond variations are so common that unless it is a pure Lofted Diamond the prefix "Loft-" is NOT required.

Although folded diamonds and their variants are sometimes referred to as types of parclo, i refute this word as cloverleaf interchanges have many many variations as it is.

A summary of Diamond naming follows thus, delete as applicable

"Loft-/Lofted" - "Fold-/Folded/Splitfold/Half-fold" - "Double/Triple/X-tuple" - "Diamond/Half Diamond/Classic Diamond"

So show me your diamonds... and make them creative.... i'll be back with some later...

cheers
MG
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Diggis

Quote from: mrtnrln on March 24, 2008, 05:12:29 AM
Yeah, it's really sad that much of these unrealised interchanges are not included in the NAM (or something like it) ()sad()

The reason a lot of these aren't in NAM is we don't have people who can do the modelling.  Most of the members of NAM have 1 or 2 things they do well, mostly modding.  We are desperately short on modellers as transit modelling is difficult.  Anyone willing to have a crack please drop one of us a line.  We are as keen to see some of these as you are.

blade2k5

You asked and thus you shall recieve MG :thumbsup: but I'll let you name them with a proper designation as that is not my forte.  In other words, simple things like naming intersections elude me....don't know why but I've always been like that :D

Anyways, here are the two images you asked me to post here.  The first one is what I guess you might call an extended diamond intersection with elongated on/off ramps.  In the rural area where I live, most of our intersections look like this.....

Others in my neck of the woods are more like the one below in the larger towns [the one south of here is just over 10k]......minus the Big Dig :P

Oh, and thanks for PM'ing me about this or I would have probably not discovered it for awhile :)

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio
dedgren ♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ nichter85 ♦ papab2000 ♦
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Old fisherman never die, they just smell that way.

Haljackey

Very interesting update, MG!  Very well constructed too!

Isn't it interesting that EVERY interchange in your update used the RHW network?

You want us to show our diamonds here?  Well, you already have shown a couple of mine, but I was able to find a bunch more to show.

You also resized my images to 1024x640 instead of putting in a full resolution link!  Whats with that?
-Anyways, I will follow this trend and resize my images to 1024x640 just for this thread, since it isn't either a "Show Us Your" or MD.

Here we go:

Half-diamond

This would be a lofted-diamond, right?

Is this classic or lofted?

Lofted half-diamond:

Not sure of the "correct" name for this diamond.  What would you call it?
-Oh, and note the old RHW texture, this is an oldie!

And what would this diamond be referred to as?

Lastly, if you call  parclo's diamonds, then what would you call this one?  A splitfold or something like that?

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed them!

Best,
-Haljackey

mightygoose

Hal great work.... for namesake....

1. Half Diamond - correct
2. Lofted Diamond - correct
3. Lofted Diamond
4. Lofted Half Diamond - correct
5. Lofted Double Diamond
6. Loftfold Diamond - although very convoluted due to the surface road turning parallel to the street
7. Folded Diamond - thats an easyone :P

Toichus Maximus

Here's one of my intersections. It was a pain in the butt to build because of the special conditions with the river, bridges, and the rail line.

Pro'lly would never have to happen IRL because they'd just build the ramps directly from the bridge (at least on one side. It'd be harder with the rail on the other side).

The whole interchange also made me wish upon an NAM for left-hand exits (I know they're evil, but in this case...)

Pat

WoW Mg you have out done yourself here in identifying the interchanges and Hal, Blade, and Toichus wonderful ramps there....  Blade are you talking about Wausau per chance  $%Grinno$%   That does look like the majority of the realignment they are doing down there with 29/51 project [linkie]....  Theres a linkie for all the ones who love the road........

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

oldrogue

Wow, you guys are makeing me ashamed of my methods... ;D ... I'm happy to just get a surface street straight and here you are doing this...... sheesh.  Seriously, some wonderfull work displayed here and you are giving me some great ideas....thanks.
Sometimes I go into my own little world....but it's ok, they know me there.

blade2k5

Quote from: Pat on March 27, 2008, 09:24:01 AM
Blade are you talking about Wausau per chance  $%Grinno$%

Yup.  That whole construction on the 51/29 interchange is one big mess.

dedgren ♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ nichter85 ♦ papab2000 ♦

CabraBuitre

Quote from: blade2k5 on March 28, 2008, 12:40:31 PM
Yup.  That whole construction on the 51/29 interchange is one big mess.

I haven't been up there (from Stevens Point) since they've cut it down to 1 lane both ways, at least at times... but it WILL be a better situation after they're done.  For people who are heading West on 29 to have to get off and sit at a stoplight didn't make a whole lot of sense...

There's a smaller project going on in Stevens Point with the expansion of Hwy 10.  As they've gotten to Point, they're now going to be routing a bi-pass for Hwy 10 north of Stevens Point as it travels to Marshfield.  Eventually, too, they're going to link 10 to 51/39 in Plover, just south of the new Crossroads Common development in Plover.

It's actually really interesting to see what's gone on with that... AIG-Travelguard, a decent sized employer in town is looking to expand in a few years and had something worked out with the town of Plover to move right where the DOT had been planning for the Southern link up of Hwy 10 to I-39, much to the chagrin of Stevens Point... but Point has snatched them back and offered them tax incentives to move to the Portage County business park, not 1 mile further North.  This should allow the DOT to complete the bi-pass around Stevens Point and avoid routing cars through Hwy 10 East, which is always really congested, as there are lots of businesses along the corridor.

Once they complete this, they're planning to expand 51/39 to 3 lanes both directions through the Point/Plover area, similar to what they're giong in Wausau.  One of the biggest differences in the projects (other than the fact that there isn't as much population to deal with and they're doing it in stages instead of all at once) is that the Point/Plover area has more open land in the places they're doing the bi-pass.

My question is if Point will be able to sustain all the businesses in the area without the additional traffic through town... Perhaps it's grown enough to be self-sustaining, but...

Check out Abelfarei!

blade2k5

Stevens Point always seemed to be 'stagnant' when I lived there in the 80's [used to live on Walker St less than a block from Madison Elementary School], meaning the population neither grew nor dropped by more than 100 people when the latest census reports came out.  Plover on the other hand has had a population explosion compared to Point and it's been built up quite a bit in the 14 years since I moved to Tomahawk.  Give it another 20 years or so and Plover will be bigger than Point and Point will become a suburb of Plover instead of the other way around. 

getting back on topic, I have to say Toichus Maximus that that is one radical intersection.  Nicely done :thumbsup:

mightygoose

toichus maximus, great interchange but thats not a diamond :P

anyway... one from me...  a Splitfold Diamond

Pat

John that is just magnificant work on that splitfold, WOW!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

blade2k5

Looks great MG :thumbsup:  I'll have to try that one in one of my rural areas next time I play the game.

amapper

I like the way you use tunnels and overpasses. You sure do an amazing engineering job on these interchanges.

Do you know where these ramps and overpasses come from??

Thanks,
Dick

Toichus Maximus

The tunnels are from buddybud and are on one of hist posts over at simtropolis. I'm afraid i've not got the link. And it looks to me that the road itself just has non-slope conforming lots on either side of it.

Haljackey

Its been a while since anyone has posted here!  But, since we're still on the topic of diamonds, I have a rather interesting one to show you:

Its a 4 way urban interchange, where a diagonal avenue interchanges with a orthogonal elevated highway.

Having trouble seeing it?  Here is close up from another angle.

I don't know what MG will classify this as.  Maybe a lofted diamond?   ()what()

Best,
-Haljackey

JoeST

amapper: you can also get them off MAS71's wiki site, thought the site is in Japanese.

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms