• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedgren

A few more pages added to the 3RR Road Atlas [linkie].

There's actually even a few more pages than that done, but I have to post them in reverse alphabetical order.  We're most of the way through the letter "H."

I haven't really said it expressly, but I'm still in Dillingham.  The two day trial turned into a four day trial, and I couldn't get out last night.  Here's the few pics I promised.  As I was in the courtroom during the daylight hours, they're pretty marginal.

Dillingham is a fishing community- essentially it's houses around a harbor with a bunch of repair and processing facilities thrown in.  There's boats everywhere.

The cityscape (now that trial is over and I'm not going to offend anyone on the jury) isn't much.

The holidays are celebrated here pretty much like most everywhere else.

There are way more of these in town than there are cars.  I guess people walk a lot in the summer.

Finally, the courthouse- no majestic temple of justice here.

As a special bonus, here's what you have to do to get a pizza in Dillingham.

Step 1- Go to the N&N Market and purchase a 10 day old unbaked Costco cheese (i.e.: no toppings) pizza.  At Costco in Anchorage, that would set you back (US) $6.99.  Out here, it was (US) $17.99.

Step 2- Add toppings to taste.

Step 3-  I added fresh mushrooms, sun-dried tomato, pepperoncini, genoe salami, garlic and green olives with pimiento.

Step 4-  I then added a little extra pizza sauce and threw on some more mozzarella cheese.

Step 5-  Bake per directions on the box.

Step 6-  Enjoy!

...all you have to do is forget that you're eating a pizza that cost a little over (US) $50.00 to make...

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

sebes

Well, $50, but I'll fly over to Alaska to join you when eating this David: it looks delicious  :thumbsup:
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

Pat

50 dollar pizza... Man that had to be a real good one then for that cost.... I know its bit off topic but i know NASA had a lauch site up here in northren wisconsin... I cant think of the exact name of the area but as i find out from my asst. chief's thats right i said chief's as they are a mr and mrs asst. chief's they go up there every summer and its literaly the end of the line of US highway... Anyways David im glad all is said and done for Dillingham, so did you win your case???

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

threestooges

Sorry I haven't been able to get around here to comment as often as I would like to. I just had my CivPro final today. I'm glad that I got the tough one out of the way first. Iron Hook is certainly a sight. I really like the sculpting of the hill of Nike Sight Pt. and it'll be interesting to see what yoman comes up with. Sorry to hear about the length of the trial doubling, and the somewhat pricey pie, but it all seems to have worked out. I have contracts coming up on Monday, so I may not be around too much, though I will pop in now and then to see what's new. Hope you got to relax a bit after the trial, and I hope you get home safe (especially with the holidays around the corner). Take it easy.
-Matt

thundercrack83

A $50 pizza, eh? How much does a case of beer cost in Dillingham, a kidney??? But, anyway...

I'm still following along as the maps are added to the Atlas, my friend, and with each one, I'm more and more impressed at the amount of time and effort you put in to this great place we call 3RR.

Hope everything is going well in Dillingham, and I look forward to hearing more from you!

Dustin

Ryan B.

They need one of my WNY television commercials up there in Dillingham . . . . this particular one is: 

" Airport Plaza Jewelers - where a really great diamond doesn't cost . . . an arm and a leg! "  ( < Complete with fake arm & leg props. )

Modified for Dillingham:

" Dillingham Pizza - where a really great pizza doesn't cost . . . an arm and a leg! "

:D

bakerton

Fifty dollars for some pizza, sounds like Hawaii instead of Alaska. I was wondering how you decided to do a very big region instead of a regular sized one? 3RR looks very fun to build on and to play with. Back on topic, look forward to more of 3RR. JKB
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.

threestooges

Well correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems with the posting of Acton township, the atlas has been fully published. Congratulations on that milestone. I have a contracts final tomorrow, but I'll try to swing by after that; just wanted to complement you on the atlas completion.

dedgren

Sixty-four of these puppies!

Acton to Yellow- a month and a half's worth of work.  The first edition of the 3RR Road Atlas...

...well, the basic maps anyway...

...is published here [linkie].

There's a lot more great 3RR stuff to come this month.  Promise!

David

EDITMatt (threestooges), 'ya beat me to it by a few minutes.  Great to have you along for the ride, my friend.  Best of luck on that K final! -DE
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

BigSlark

David,

I have no idea how close the atlas is to being fully published, that would require an inordinate amount of research at 1 in the morning...

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you're home from back country hell, your pizza tale makes me glad there's a Little Caesar's that virtually gives away one topping pizzas for $50, 50 cents per extra topping.

I'm sure its been said before, but I cannot wait to see what your actual towns and cities look like. Your maps, scenery, and the occasional rural highway wow me as is...

Cheers,
Kevin

EDIT: It seems I was writing my post as you posted. I suppose the Atlas IS finished, eh? Oops.

Tarkus

David, you are the man! :thumbsup:  I know I've told you that before, but you deserve it again.  The atlas is just an absolute masterpiece of roadgeekery.  Very well done as always. 

It's awesome seeing these new SC4 screenies, too, and it's amazing to see what you've done with Jeroni's new ploppable water. 

And the $50 10-day old pizza?  Yikes! :o  Of course, it sounds like the Little Caesar's near Kevin is about the same price. :D

-Alex

Pat

David you are a true master evil mind lol  ;D Congrats on the completion of the atlas!!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Andreas

Heh, that $50 pizza must have tasted really good, I guess. ;) (But it looks very delicious indeed.)

I really enjoyed the 3RR atlas so far, it's amazing how much effort you put in this. But I was wondering: Once the maps are done, are you going to create something similar like Google Maps, that means one giant seamless map that can be scrolled? It's probably too hard to put something like that online, but I suppose you could stitch all township maps together and make one huge GIF file that could be downloaded. With IrfanView or a similar viewer, we could open it at 100% zoom and scroll while pressing the right mouse button, just like a "real" online map. :)
Andreas

Shadow Assassin

Quotemake one huge GIF file that could be downloaded.

I actually recommend .png. It usually gives a smaller file size. :P

Plus, can't we scroll inside the browser window? :P
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Andreas

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on December 10, 2007, 04:52:05 AM
I actually recommend .png. It usually gives a smaller file size. :P

Yeah, I noticed that David actually used PNG already, so there's no need to change that.

QuotePlus, can't we scroll inside the browser window? :P

I hate scrolling inside a browser window. :P
Andreas

rooker1

$50 bucks for a pizza...... :o......I pay $20 for a fully loaded one at pizza pizza.   ()stsfd()

Love your maps.  Looks like a lot of work, too much for me.

Robin   :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

meldolion

Quote from: dedgren on December 07, 2007, 09:41:45 AM

Step 6-  Enjoy!

...all you have to do is forget that you're eating a pizza that cost a little over (US) $50.00 to make...

Later.

David

:O

David,if ever happen you come to italy please stop by my house.... I'bring you to eat the REAL pizza :D

dedgren

Lots of great comments- I should be able to do a few responses later today.

Here's the region map in a 1,024x1,024 px size with the Canadian/US "collar."

That's hardly usable, so here's a full size (same scale as the individual Atlas maps) region map [linkie].  The only format that comes in under ImageShack's 1.5 gig size limitation is .gif.  Unfortunately, .png doesn't even get close.

Note I still have some corrections to do to various Atlas maps.  I found a few more this morning as I assembled the composite.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Andreas

Thanks for the link, David! I'm sure Jeroni is willing to upload a full size map to the SC4D server, once it's finished, so you don't have to use ImageShack or whatever for this task. :)
Andreas

dragonshardz

he (?) might be willing to, but..aren't there the bandwidth issues to consider?