• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Windows 7

Started by frdrcklim, January 18, 2009, 01:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

claydog

Thank You both, Jonathan and Jayson!
That helps simplify things a bit. I do know that the new laptop I'll be getting will have a dual core processor though. I had thought this would be such a big improvement from my old single pentium 4 processor, but apparently not with SC4.
Is there anything I can or should do to make SC4 run ok or smothly with a dual core processor???
Now that this is no longer on the topic of Windows 7, is there any place you could direct me to read up on this and get "educated" on what SC4 needs to run as fast and smothly as possible-(so I can get my new laptop built that way)?
Also, I've read about people having trouble with certain graphics cards and SC4 not working well with them. What's the scoop on that?

Thank you guys, again. This is verry helpfull and going to make for many more years of happy SC4RH addiction! :thumbsup:

Jonathan

Dual Core won't have a direct effect on SC4, but programs other than SC4 like explorer can apparently run on the other core SC4 is not using. So there will be some performance increase because there will less processes running on each core because the will spread between 2. I'm not 100% sure about this just heard it somewhere, because I don't know how the computer knows to run what on which core. There's a topic about the Dual core issues but I'm not sure where it is, but just try and install SC4 normally and run it, then if you get any problems go and change things :)

Jonathan

sithlrd98

OK, now my turn...following the instructions from the link that Jonathan posted , I tried to move the C:\Users\Jayson\Documents folder to something more like the old days: Documents and Settings\My Documents.  No luck , so I just tried to move it where ever...still get the same error message , which basically says it can't do it. Any clues to why?

Jayson

BarbyW

I followed the instructions to move it to D:\My Documents which is a separate data drive and it moved and worked first time.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

sithlrd98

While you were typing , I had already figured out what I was doing wrong! Because I just wanted to move it to a spot on the same drive , I was trying to create a whole new path , when all I needed to do was to create a new folder , re-name it "My Documents" and all was cool! So , Mapper works fine , but....terraformer (which I admit I rarely use and have not messed with for quite a while) is not doing so good...

Oh,well I'm sure it's me! At least I can get some new maps in-game without switching over!

Jayson

Jonathan

Looks like some good news for us Europeans on the whole browser issue and not being able to upgrade: http://windows7news.com/2009/07/25/agreement-about-windows-7e-likely/

But this will mean 7 will be more expensive as they won't have to offer the Full 7 E version at the same price as the US upgrade version, personally I'd rather have the inconvenience of doing a clean install than pay an extra £100 or whatever it is.

Jonathan

BarbyW

So where does that leave me as I have pre-ordered Win7E? Well actually my brother has done it for me as I want the English version and couldn't find a way to order in England from France.

u.mueller

Quote from: sithlrd98 on July 25, 2009, 03:15:13 PM
While you were typing , I had already figured out what I was doing wrong! Because I just wanted to move it to a spot on the same drive , I was trying to create a whole new path , when all I needed to do was to create a new folder , re-name it "My Documents" and all was cool! So , Mapper works fine , but....terraformer (which I admit I rarely use and have not messed with for quite a while) is not doing so good...

Oh,well I'm sure it's me! At least I can get some new maps in-game without switching over!

Jayson

This is EXACTLY the same problem I already got under VISTA! I suppose it is a driver thing... :angrymore:

If somebody knew a way around that, I would be very thankful! ()what() :thumbsup:

Jonathan

It is not a driver. Have you tried running it without aero ? Also I'd try it in XP mode just to see what happens.
Barby, i'd like to know that too maybe you'll get the non-E version for the price of the E version but I doubt that the ECC(or is it EEC?) would agree to what I posted as it makes things easier for the user :)

Jonathan 

BarbyW

I will be very annoyed as the main reason I decided to change to Win7 was the reduced cost for advanced ordering. I have paid for a copy of the Home and the Pro editions so I hope that will be re-imbursed if I can't get the updates.

Jonathan

Windows 7 E has been cancelled, in favour of the ballot screen.
http://windows7news.com/2009/08/02/windows-7-%e2%80%98e%e2%80%99-canceled/

As it says, anyone who bought Windows 7 E already will get the full version. This means you will be able to perform upgrades and not have to do clean installs, and ou will be able to go on the internet without saving a browser to pen drive first. Also it means you have got Windows 7 for a ridicously cheap price. As The full Windows 7 E was at the same price as the Windows 7 Upgrades in the US, and then there were the preorder offers.

So you won't be charged extra, but you will be getting more for your money.

Jonathan

BarbyW

That is music to my ears, Jonathan.  :thumbsup:

WC_EEND

Just a few questions:
Is it still worth getting the windows 7 beta?
How hard is it to install windows 7?
Will I need to reinstall everything in windows 7?
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

Jonathan

Barby, I'm glad it made you happy :)

I'm not sure if it's worth getting the Release Candidate (here), If you want to try it before buying then downloading the RC is pretty much a trial, but if you are going to download it you need to do it soon as Microsoft are going to stop RC downloads soon.

Windows 7 is the easiest Windows OS to install to date. Much easier than XP and quite a but easier than Vista. If your going to use the RC then I'dd suggest installing it on a seperate Hard Drive or partition so you can go back to the OS your using now. But when the actual release in October, Europeans can now upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 so you won't neccessarily have to reinstall all your programs and transfer all your data. If your going to be getting a new computer or upgrading your OS then Windows 7 is definately the OS to go for.

Jonathan

WC_EEND

Well, I just got a new one that shipped with Vista, but what I actually meant was: Do programs that require install registry values (like The Sims 3) require to be reinstalled?
And how do you install it (just run the setup from Vista or mount/burn on a USB drive / DVD disk)

My LOT thread                                    

Jonathan

If your upgrading (not doing a clean install) then you don't need to reinstall any programs. If you do a clean install then you have to reinstall all your programs.

Did the computer you just bought come with an upgrade voucher for Windows 7?

Jonathan

WC_EEND

nope, it came with vista pre-installed

Also, I don't have a Vista installation disc so I don't think upgrading is the right thing to do

My LOT thread                                    

sithlrd98

OK, this is what I did...I also have Vista pre-installed. I went a head and set up Win 7 on a second drive (personal reasons...I don't trust HDDs!)...after everything was done , I used this (which I already had burned).Download: Windows Vista x64 Recovery Disc

It will fix the BCD that will become over-written.

Jayson

Jonathan

I've noticed that a few PCs (with Vista pre installed) come with a voucher which you can take to the place you bought it from and get a free Windows 7 upgrade disc. If that's the case then you have to an upgrade, so you wouldn't have to reinstall all your programs.

WC_EEND

But my biggest question still remains: can you install it by mounting the image on a virtual CD drive (while running vista during install)?

My LOT thread