• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

WEST END

Started by paroch, September 01, 2007, 03:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

threestooges

You're making me wish I had an MD (a good thing and a bad thing...) so I could send some golfers. I play it more than I watch it, but that looks like it'll be a good tournament and your links look good, especially that green by the water in the last pic. As far as showing development goes, if you're the one doing it, I'm sure it will be worth showing. I don't know much about rugby, but that stadium looks pretty good. The parking area is nice too (though it looks a bit small for the 8,250 capacity). Good work on this update, great idea with the golf tournament, and I'll look forward to the next update. It's late now so I may come back and add more, but until next time, take it easy.
-Matt

Diggis

Quote from: threestooges on September 08, 2008, 12:32:23 AM
The parking area is nice too (though it looks a bit small for the 8,250 capacity).

Thats cos we tend to walk to the games so we can drink more.  :D  (actually in NZ that is largely true, parking around stadiums is very rare.

MandelSoft

Aahhh, Picadilly is nice and green. (and eh... pick one golfer from Europe who's representing Imaginia  ;))
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

bat

Nice update there!!
Like the pictures of the golf course and rugby stadium (congrats for your team...)

and you can also pick one (or two or three) golfers from Europe who are representing the NATION OF CAPPORTH CITY...

art128

just a sublime update  &apls
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Earth quake

Wow, splendid update my friends, really splendid.
You are the best of Suburbs.  :thumbsup:

dsrwhat316

A short update, but a very good one! That rugby stadium is interesting, using a couple of Maxis buildings in the structure. Is it your creation? The overview of the sports ground is impressive, as well. Great work!

~ Dan
Custom Lotting at its Finest:

Last updated: 2/9- I'm Back! +  A Teaser (of course...)

paroch

David:  Thanks.  And if Kaikoura wants a golfer in the team just let me know.

Shaun x2:  Hahaha, nah you don't talk too much mate!  Seeing as you live in London, I think you're an adopted European!  So I've entered a couple from Watersford.  And yes, the rugby will be fun (and congrats on the result for NZ earlier, I'm sure you had a few tinnies).

Jon:  I just can't help myself with the sports stadiums and tracks etc.  Hopefully they make some kind of sense.  As for the industrial park - whilst in the middle of the tile, it's not really the middle of the city.  To the north and west is the bulk of Piccadilly.  To the south are some low rise suburbs and to the west is a more rural part.  Truth is, that as the city was growing it really needed Industrial jobs not too far away!!  And I wanted to create a seaside golf course - hence the placement.

I've put in a couple of golfers for you - chosen at total random - although I wondered if Boo Weekley was some sort of magazine about ghosts ;)  And this update features some of those new toys you spotted.

Joan:  Nice CML there Joan.  And no worries about fishing - hope you catch a big 'un.

Dustin:  'Tis done, made the selections.  Hopefully it'll be a good event.

Matt:  Following the PM, you'll see that two golfers from your soon to be released MD Greenacr have made an appearance.  And as for the parking.....Shaun is spot on.  Many of the older or city centre stadiums in England have little or no parking.  For example, my club (West Ham) have a stadium of 35,000 but the car park holds about 100 cars!  It is surrounded by housing, so needless to say the side streets get busy on match days.

Maarten:  I hope you don't mind, I picked two golfers for Imaginia.

Bat:  I've selected two golfers for you Bat, if still slots left at the end I'll choose another for you.

Arthur:  Gee, thanks.

Earth Quake:  Hey, thanks for that great compliment.

Dan:  Yes, the rugby stadium is a lot I created.  I wanted something kind of small and intimate, with the crowd almost on the pitch.  And yes in pic 60.03 all the front of the stadium is made of Maxis buildings, a small commercial in the two corners, and an industrial warehouse all along the front.  I'm glad you liked it.

We've had some interest so far but there are still places available for you to enter a couple of golfers to represent your region in the Continental Cup.  This is a golf competition from 19th to 21st September between Europe and the USA.  Just post here to let me know which golfers are representing your MD.

The teams are made up as follows:

Europe
Paul Casey  (West End)
Sergio Garcia  (Capporth City)
Soren Hansen  (Imaginia)
Padraig Harrington  (Watersford)
Miguel Angel Jimenez  (Watersford)
Robert Carlson  (Imagina)
Graeme McDowell
Ian Poulter
Justin Rose
Henrik Stenson  (Capporth City)
Lee Westwood  (West End)
Oliver Wilson

USA
Phil Mickelson  (United Stats of SC4D)
Stewart Cink
Kenny Perry  (Greenacre)
Jim Furyk  (United Stats of SC4D)
Anthony Kim
Justin Leonard  (Covington)
Ben Curtis
Boo Weekley  (Covington)
Chad Campbell
J.B.Holmes  (Greenacre)
Hunter Mahan
Steve Stricker

And now to the update.................

The city of Piccadilly is pretty much fully completed now.  It has a population of 134,000 and is a mixture of high rise apartments which are mainly in the Central, Bay and Reaytown areas and low rise suburbs scattered around the edges.  Once you cross the motorway, things turn rural pretty quickly, with the River Calidigg and farms. 

You'll see that there is a large peninsular that has not yet been developed.  And I will do with it whatever you, my dear West End readers, suggest. 

Maybe this should be a large nature reserve. 
Maybe it should be a sprawling low rise suburb. 
Maybe it could have high rise residentials on the waters edge and high rise commercials in the middle.
Maybe it could be a large park.
Or maybe you have a better idea.

I'd really like to hear what you think should happen with it.

As JB Simio noticed, there were a few new things in Piccadilly, so I thought I'd show you what new toys I've been playing with in the rest of this update..........

I wanted to create a river/canal down from the top of the quad.  I've used TPW loads recently, so used some of the water/canal I'd not used before, and here's the result.

And I've had the SG Irrigation canals/ditches for some time but again just had not used them.  I think they add a nice look to the farms and are not too obtrusive.

And now back to the SG-CAL canal.  I just liked the way the motel grew on this corner, thought it looked quite good there.

And this aquaduct is nice - I'm sure it's meant to be used higher up, but I liked it here anyway.

I thought it was time to actually use the functional ports instead of the eye candy stuff I've used in the past.

And here is the functional airport shuttle.  I placed a bus station, tram and monorail station nearby.  And whilst I've used monorails in the past, this is the first time it's been used in West End.

Again, a first appearance in West End.

And here's another look at that empty piece of land I'm wondering what to do with next.

And this shot of the eastern part of West End shows what my next plans are. 
1- I want to build the new International Airport for West End in Carnaby.  This will then enable me to....
2- Demolish Great Portland.  This is where the old airport is.  But it's too surrounded by development, but because the quad is corrupted and cannot be opened it needs to be flattened!
3- Build the two new medium sized farming quads - that should finish that section off nicely.
4- I can't decide whether to trash Regent and start again.  The quad is corrupted and locked.  But I hate the way the beach ruins the region view!  Maybe I'd get rid of the big island and Regent could also have a large port.
5- Oxford is also corrupted and locked, and it's nowhere near finished.  As it's the capital of West End it does need to be re-done.  I think I'll rename it New Oxford.
6- And then there's still loads more quads!

I hope you've enjoyed this update and don't forget to enter your golfers in the Continental Cup.

'til next time............. $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%

MandelSoft

Hey Paul!

I like the update (this time you gave a lot of attention to the canals). And I see you have picked two golfers for me :) and you have some future plans for West End. Great update.

By the way, I have two ideas for the Penisular:
1. Why not making it a combination of a low-rise area and a park? It would be a great large green area, and a nice place to live.
2. An university and a sport complex mixed together

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

art128

very n iced update  &apls I realy like how you use the Canal transition  &apls
and good luck for rebuilding  :thumbsup:
I realy love the canal bridge over the railroad  &apls good work  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Jmouse

A fine job you've done with the JPN walls and Diggis water. I like the areas along the banks, too - the nicer homes and yards are always near the water. The canal looks good in game, too, although it's something I've never seen in RL.

Never seen irrigation canals from above either,
but they add a nice touch to your already good-looking farms. Wonder what's growing in those strange grey pods, though. IMO, the functional seaport is a bit too close to the neighborhood, or maybe it's the other way around! But that's just my old memories of living in Houston. I didn't live anywhere near the ship channel, but I used to see some pretty grim scenery on trips past that area.

You'll just have to explain to me how the facilities in 61.10 work - I'm lost, but must say it's a pretty photo! :) Now cruise ships I can identify with and the whole setup looks great - the red building is a bit jarring, but that's just a matter of personal taste.

As for the peninsular,
it would be prime development property in RL, and a look back at the overview (61.01), indicates a natural progression of mid-high rises in that direction.  That isn't to say I like commercial encroachment - I'd much rather see a nice big park and maybe even a zoo. It would be a delightful place to spend the day, and a paddle boat concession on that little spur about halfway down the shore would be great. I'm afraid using the entire land mass as a "playground" would look unnatural, though, so is there a possibility of compromise? BTW if you decide to add a zoo, be sure to note the direction of the prevailing winds before placing it. ;)

Great job on this update as usual,
but it looks like you've cut out a lot of work for yourself in the weeks/months to come. I've never seen an MDer destroy cities and rebuild them in full view of an audience before, but it sounds like a fascinating idea. I think you're more innovative than you give yourself credit for!

Later...
Joan

threestooges

Glad I gave my top 4 choices. Greenacre will be happy to participate in the tournament, however, it wasn't expecting public announcement so soon (oh well, never know what is in store). As far as the parking goes, living in Southern California means everyone (mostly) drives everywhere. Take a look at the google map view of Angel Stadium in Anaheim. The parking lot is huge, though it does have a rail station too. Interestingly, and I wonder how it will work, California is working toward implementing a high speed rail network for the state, and I forsee rails becoming a bigger part of mass transit around here.

The River Calidigg looks great. TPW has its advantages, but for the more urban/developed areas, these things work quite well. The irrigation canals are a nice touch too. I like it when pics like 61.07 set themselves up. For some reason they seem to turn out better for me than ones that I plan for. Great use of the acqueduct in 61.08. I know it can be used higher up, but the way you've used it here is great. The seaport is small but tasteful, and the airport shuttle is a good use of that developing lot thing. I was thinking that the peninsular area might be used for a small, commuter/private airport, but from the looks of things, the international is close enough to handle that. I suggest making a recreational harbor on the southern part of it, from the current ferry dock to the little outcrop, make the area from there out to the point into a nature preserve, perhaps with some trails, plenty of brush, flowers, etc, with a parking lot or two to let people from outside the area take a break too. Maybe incorporate a small bit of an historic element, like a lighthouse or something.

It looks like you have some great plans in store for West End. I'll be looking forward to seeing them come to fruition. Great work, and take it easy.
-Matt

dsrwhat316

A very thorough update, Paul! I also like that motel on the canal corner, the way the building is positioned makes for great views. That tower in the cruise ship terminal shot is interesting; what's the name of that BAT? I'd like to use it myself. It'll be interesting to see how you develop The Peninsular. Nice work, my friend!

~ Dan
Custom Lotting at its Finest:

Last updated: 2/9- I'm Back! +  A Teaser (of course...)

Simpson

Hi my friend ;)
This new update is very fine
The général pic is super and very réalistic. Your city is looking very good  :thumbsup:

I'm also ok for the the golfer  ;)
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

bokrif

I like Picadilly.

The canal viaduct or aquaduct is definitely a cool idea. However I might raise the question, why didn't the railway planners plan a much easier bridge over the canals instead of making a canal bridge? ;)
I like it anyways.

bat

Great work there on that canal and area!
Wonderful new update and pictures...
Looking forward to more... :)

Diggis

Arrrrgggg, no development...  :angrymore: that penisular is perfect for a park, or botanical garden.  Check out Sydney's beside the opera house.  Exactly what it reminds be of.

Great use of the various waterways there.  Although remind me to check which train uses that line under the aqueduct.  I am so NOT catching that line. 'Duck!'

You should be able to use terraformer to reset your tiles so that you don't lose the terrain, although not sure how they deal with corrupt saves.

Great update, and look forward to seeing your botanical gardens what you choose to do on that peninsula.  ???

paroch

Maarten:  Thanks for the suggestions for the peninsular.  Number 1 is certainly under consideration - but Piccadilly already has a university and enough sports!  You'll see those soon.

Arthur:  I hope you don't mind, as a regular European visitor here I put two golfers in the team from Maroenestra!  And thanks for the comments.

Joan:  Hey, thanks for the detailed comments.  After Kingly, I enjoy playing with the canals and here wanted to try a different approach.  And yes that grey pool is my attempt at the transition from the CAL/SG canal to the SG Irrigation system!  As for the BSC Port......it upgrades automatically and this is the "city centre" port.  So those GasCooker terraces are (I suppose) meant to be the dockers' homes.  The port is still only a stage 2 port, so in a future upgrade the houses will disappear and be replaced by whatever goodies Barby and the crew put there (I'm guessing warehouses!!)

As for the Airport Shuttle - again it upgrades.  It's real function is to allow the city to have an "airport" without it messing up the region view (not every tile would have an airport in RL).  My idea is that by placing the monorail next to the airport shuttle lot, passengers would check in at the airport shuttle and then board the monorail which will be connected to the new airport being developed next door in Carnaby.  Maybe in the proper update I'll label the picture.

Thanks for the ideas for the peninsular and yes, I agree with your thinking.  I guess I'll end up trying to incorporate a bit of everything!!  And I know I've set myself a big schedule of works there!  Oh and Joan, I hope you didn't mind me resurrecting WJ and including two golfers!!

Matt:  Another great and helpful comment.  Yes, UK and US stadiums are different.  But many of our top football stadiums have been in the same location for 100 years.  In other words, the town/city has built around them in days when cars were not widespread.  The result is stadiums packed in and surrounded by residentials.  Some of the new stadiums being built tend to be on the edge of town, maybe in a retail park/leisure complex, so there is plenty of parking (Bolton, Derby and Coventry spring to mind).  I'm off to football today and we'll park the car outside someone's house and then walk about 20 minutes to the stadium.

And yes that pic with the motel was not planned - sometimes the "right" thing just grows!  Thanks for your suggestions for the peninsular, the waterfront recreation area is spot on and will definitely be part of it.  And hopefully the future plans will work out!

Dan:  Good to see you here again.  I will catch up with The Source, just not been on line much this week.  Per our PMs The Source now has two players in the team.  Thanks for your comments and which tower do you mean?  The red one (Cookie Corp on STEX), the odd shaped one (by Ill Tonkso on STEX but the name escapes me I'll dig it out), or one of the others?

David:  Thanks for your comment and thanks for entering the golf competition.

Krizstian:  Always good when you drop by.  The honest answer is that I just wanted to use the viaduct!!  I know it's not quite right there, but hey, sometimes I just can't help myself!!

Bat::  Thanks for stopping by and your comments.

Shaun:  Hmmm, botanical gardens could be a good idea.  So many ideas have been floated here, I'll now have to draw up a plan of works and see if I can keep everyone happy!!  And that rail line is the one that connects Watersford & West End!!!

No "proper" update today, just an update on the golf.  I'm hoping to deliver a real update tomorrow.....

The final teams are made up as follows:

Europe
Paul Casey  (West End)
Sergio Garcia  (Capporth City)
Soren Hansen  (Imaginia)
Padraig Harrington  (Watersford)
Miguel Angel Jimenez  (Watersford)
Robert Karlson  (Imagina)
Graeme McDowell  (Maroenestra)
Ian Poulter  (Kaikoura)
Justin Rose  (Kaikoura)
Henrik Stenson  (Capporth City)
Lee Westwood  (West End)
Oliver Wilson  (Maroenestra)

USA
Phil Mickelson  (United Stats of SC4D)
Stewart Cink  (The Source)
Kenny Perry  (Greenacre)
Jim Furyk  (United Stats of SC4D)
Anthony Kim  (Greenacre)
Justin Leonard  (Covington)
Ben Curtis  (The Source)
Boo Weekley  (Covington)
Chad Campbell  (Wildcat Junction)
J.B.Holmes  (Greenacre)
Hunter Mahan  (Wildcat Junction)
Steve Stricker  (United Stats of SC4D)

I had to choose a couple more American entrants at random.

Well Europe went into the tournament as favourites, but the day one pairings didn't go according to the form book.....

The United States will take a 5½-2½ lead into day two of the Continetal Cup after dominating Europe on the opening day at Piccadilly Links.

Leading 3-1 after the foursomes, the Americans won two of the four afternoon fourball matches.

Hunter Mahan (Wildcat Junction) and Justin Leonard (Covington) had two wins while Phil Mickelson (United Stats) and Anthony Kim (Greenacre) claimed a win and a half despite being behind in their two matches.

Ian Poulter and Justin Rose's (both Kaikoura) fourball triumph was Europe's only victory.

However, as the opening day drew to a close, Lee Westwood (West End) and Imaginia's Soren Hansen did give Europe a lift with a hard-earned half against JB Holmes (Greenacre) and Boo Weekley (Covington) after winning the final hole.

It was a day where some of Europe's big guns failed to shine, Capporth City's Sergio Garcia and three-time major winner Padraig Harrington (Watersford) claiming just a half each from their two matches.

The Europe team must now quickly regroup after a day which saw them squander leading positions in both sessions.

Full results:

FRIDAY FOURSOMES - USA 3-1 EUROPE

P Mickelson (United Stats)      halved       P Harrington (Watersford)
And A Kim (Greenacre)                           and R Carlson (Imaginia)

J Leonard (Covington)             beat          H Stenson (Capporth City)
And H Mahan (Wilcat J)                          and P Casey (West End)

S Cink (The Source)                  beat          J Rose (Kaikoura)
And C Campbell (Wildcat J)                     and I Poulter (Kaikoura)

K Perry (Greenacre)                 halved       L Westwood (West End)
And J Furyk (United Stats)                   and S Garcia (Capport City)

FRIDAY FOURBALLS - USA 2½-1½ EUROPE
P Mickelson (Unied Stats)     beat        P Harrington (Watersford)
and A Kim (Greenacre)                       and G McDowell (Manoestra)      

S Stricker (United Stats)        lost to    I Poulter (Kaikoura)
And B Curtis (The Source)                  and J Rose (Kaikoura)

J Leonard (Covington)           beat         S Garcia (Capporth City)
And H Mahan (Wildcat J)                     and MA Jimenez (Watersford)

JB Holmes (Greenacre)          halved      L Westwood (West End)
And B Weekley (Covington)                  and S Hansen (Imaginia)

OVERALL SCORE - USA 5 ½ - 2 ½ EUROPE

There are eight more matches today and then 12 singles tomorrow.  So despite the USA's lead, it's all still to play for.

'til next time.............. $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%

Simpson

Lol nice work here  ;D

EDIT and also congrats for having 800 posts in your great MD my friend
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

Sheep49

Polish support forum - Cafe Poland * SC4Wiki! * My BATting thread

I am he, as you are he, as you are me and we are all together... - I Am The Walrus, The Beatles