• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Photo Critiques

Started by Masochist, January 14, 2007, 03:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Masochist

This thread is sort of a spin-off of Aaronperry's "Rate One Image" thread at ST.  After seeing how many Grade-A photos were being brought to that thread (and the fact that it felt like you could only bring your best), I thought it might be a good idea to have a place here where you can get some serious feedback on areas you photograph.  So if you want to get serious opinon on a photo (like a rating or something like that), or get some ideas on how to make it better, this would be the place for you  :thumbsup:.  And it doesn't just have to be on the subject of the picture itself.  If you want the picture to be rated and/or critiqued as a picture, and maybe get some ideas as to what you can do to make the photo itself a bit better, you can also do it here.

To start off, this is an area I just built (and showcased heavily in the "Downtown" thread):

And just because someone else posts a photo doesn't mean you can't go back and critique ones before it.  Okay...I think I've explained enough.  Feel free to critique or rate my photo as you please in any way, but please keep in mind that even though compliments are nice and definately appreciated, the point of the thread is true feedback, what you like and don't like (even if you absolutely love it and can't find anything wrong with it).  Thanks!

(By the way, I know this isn't quite a "Show Us Your..." thread per se, but I didn't quite know where else to put it.  Would it be better suited for the "Gameplay Experiments" Topic?  Not sure...if this isn't the right spot, any moderator can feel free to move it to a more appropriate place.)

<Edit> One more thing.  I ask that you wait for at least one person other than yourself to critique the latest photo before posting one of your own.  Either that, or wait three days from the time the first person posted (whichever comes first).  That ensures that everyone's pictures get a fair chance at being reviewed (because even though you can critique on any photo, most people are inclined to do only the last one).  Thanks!
(Under Construction)

jeronij

I will lock this for a while, until we decide where to place and how to manage this idea  ;)

Unlocked. Feel free to post your feedback  ;D
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

mightygoose

i think your photo had many merits. there is a wide variety of downloads there which conform to a similiar style. i also love what you have done with the overhanging marriot lot. however you have a low density commercial building right in the middle of this cluster and it looks real outta place. it would also have been better on level terrain. good start 8/10
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Masochist

mightygoose: Thanks for the review!  I'm glad you liked my Marriot block.  It took me a while to figure out exactly what I wanted to do with it.  And I think your right about it being on flat land...but I didn't have much of a choice because the hill is gigantic.  Then again, it does remind me of Austin, TX somewhat, so I'm not sooo bummed about it.  Thanks for your feedback, though!

Someone else can post a picture for review if they wish.
(Under Construction)

mightygoose

nice work i enjoy the overall feel of the picture i wonder aobut the aparent hole near the chavs paradise apartments, great use of diagonal fillers, trouble is it is pretty average by your standards... try harder 8/10
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Masochist

I like your cities.  They always have a certain color to them...a certain vibe.  And you actually have apartment complexes!  You can look at a picture and tell if it's by you, or if you influenced it in some way, because your style is so distinct.  All that being said, I was actually a bit dissapointed with this picture.  It seems to missing a bit of flair...I don't know why.  Maybe no sunken highways or raised rails?  Not sure.  I know, it's very unfair to judge your picture based on you.  I mean, this is better than anything I could come up with...and you make it functional!  I can't do that at all.  But coming from you, it's a bit bland.  Just an opinion. I'd say 7.7/10.  By the way, I really hate to ask, but from where did you get those urban rail textures?  I cannot find them anywhere!
(Under Construction)

jmyers2043

Hi Alek King

I like this snap. You've painstakingly taken a great deal of time and I see your heart is really into it. There is not one single square that has escaped your attention.. You've managed to get clumps of similar buildings to grow together. And I like the 'poor side of town' and your use of what appears to be trailer park mega lots. There is a huge amount of custom content.

This thread is not called "rate this photo" so I'll not give it a number, merely letting you know what I like about it. Can't think of anything that strikes me as odd. I don't do big cities but I enjoy looking at yours. 
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

Alek King of SC4

thanks a lot man i think you got the vibe i was going for, the whole areas is supposed to be one big ghetto ish suburb, something you would find on the outer fringe of city limits, with lots of wasted space and vacant lots.
the R$$ and $$$ population is 0.

Shadow Assassin

Very nice, Alek, but it's a bit bland for a ghetto. :P I'd give it around 7.5 at least.

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

NikNik

Gosh I was still critisising Alek's city, so now I have SA as well.

Alek
I like the concrete feel of the city. As you stated that is what you intended. Bravo you succeeded perfectly!  &apls
I cannot get that done by far.
One problem I have is that Jeronij's street mod keeps on turning to high wealth when plopping some lots (such as awall's ghetto lots). You seem not to have this problem.
One thing I must say is that I always get depressed looking at your pics. Right because there is so much gray in it and it is indeed bland. That's the only downside. But when someone's city can give such a realistic touch I can only awe. I would rate it at least 9/10.

SA
Petshop boys Suburbia.....
Pity the pic is from such a distant away. However, it shows how big this suburb is. Very well done. Lots of work.
Very good road vs street lay out. The rail road I would make a bit saver though, with fences along side it. This will of course cost you space but it would be a bit more realistic (if the suburb was in Europe especially the overregulated Netherlands where I hail from this would always be the case, but then again I cannot judge other countries policies regarding that). The level differences are also well concealed and no strange walls apear here and there. Very well done.
Only one down side is that I can see still some trailer homes. Those misfit a suburb. At least 8.5 / 10.

Nik-Nik

emilin

Well, this looks kind of fun! I guess I'll join in then...

Aleking: Overall judgement: brilliant. Transit solutions look absoloutly realistic! If there was anything I might feel isn't 100% it would be that there is a tad to MUCH diversity in the midrise sections, for such a neighbourhood. But that's just me looking for something to nag about, really...  ::)

SA: Awesome suburbs. Good looking traffic here too. Maybe a little more space around the railway would have looked even more realistic. And I love your photoediting too. Very subtle (never overdoing it), but still manages to enhance the experience.

And here's my contribution. It's my first try experimenting with some new mods (new terrain, new streetmod and also first time going NoMaxis) so any advice on how to get this to look better is very welcome:

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Alek King of SC4

nice picture, nice BAT collection and cool colors, the terrain works well with the bright homes and trees.

And as to mine i definitely agree with you, any quick trip around windows local live will show you miles of repetitive housing and rarely ever especially in new construction is only one of something made (unless it is a large $$$ signature tower).  Residentials are always built in groups and is something i think is way overlooked.  you could fill up 3 large tiles all with only light residential, and that is only what 12km of sprawl? I know many large cities have way more than that.

NikNik

beatiful pic Emilin,  &apls

Hasta lavista Man.  I am in need of some burrito's!  &hlp

Even that white pick up truck is brilliant!
Your pic shows that a picture hasn't have to be huge to be outstanding. 9/10
Why only 9/10? I personally rarely give a 10/10. The only thing I can think of is Jeronij Street mod is used for a more temperate climate where as your village is a more southern style. So that is the only thing I can nag about and you cannot even help it. (so a 9.9/10 should be better here).

Nik-Nik

emilin

Thanks alot!

And I agree about the streetside mod. I have tried to find a way to lose the trees but keep the rest of the stuff (cars, bus stops, etc.) but it doesn't seem willing to do that.

BlackwaterEmil's inn

jeronij

Try moving the subfolder "JRJ Street trees" out from your plugins folder. Since the trees are props, the brown boxes should not show...I havent tested this, so try at your own risk  ;)
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

emilin

Actually I did exactly that, but the trees remain for some reason. I don't know why they are still there, but they are.

Maybe I've overlooked something.

BlackwaterEmil's inn

ACEfanatic02

^ Re-draw the streets?

-ACE
日本語勉強中-最近読んだ本はこちらで見えます。
Python Enthusiast

NASCAR_Guy

Kinda Average plus it's a MSP Jpeg.  %wrd