• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmouse

Here's Arkansas checking with 86 degrees (at 8 p.m.) and a heat index of 92.
And I, too, am horrified to hear of the computer weirdness. &mmm Too much heart and soul has gone into this project to lose even a single blade of grass, much less a leaky mountain or a stretch of rapids.

Until next time...
Jm

thundercrack83

Uh oh...

Hope all is well, David. Keep us posted!

Take care,

Dustin

dedgren

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Pat

Well David im glad to see you checked in and let us know all is OK and btw are you backing up everything???

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

abcvs

Alrighty sorry to threadjack (love that term..) but I am going to try the quote thingy...

Quote from: Rayden on July 29, 2007, 02:24:51 AM
Welcome to our comunity, here you'll find anything you want, even a tutorial to help you linking ;)

Edit: The best way to learn how to link anything, besides my tutorial $%Grinno$%, it's to quote someone's posts with links and see how he did it. But don't forget that it's only for educational purposes and cancel the quote after looking at its structure. Don't start quoting everyone without having something to say actually. ;)

Alrighty mhm that is interesting... copies again...

tutorial

mmmm...

ok post and see what happens..  &Thk/(

Edit: so that worked fine...  now I will see if I can make a linky to 3RR in ST...

3RR Page 60

Hit save and see what happens..

Edit: Sweet! that worked!  I was going to link to my own STCJ but that would have been pretentious...

Thanks Rayden &scl()
and thanks David.... you can have ya thread back now! ::)

Now I just have to remember how to do it...   
Ciao!  ()lurker()

stewart_garden

Hope your computer is okay David.  I enjoy lurking here and sometimes even posting ...

Late summer?  It is winter here in Brisbane and over 20 degrees (Celcius) every day.

Stewart
First things first, but not necessarily in that order.

dedgren

So, OK.   1,400 comments in 3RR a bit ago- still clicking along at about six per day on average.

You folks are amazing.  Just amazing.

That 1,400th post was made by our good friend emil (emilin).  Now, the reason I, in particular, thought that was such a great thing was that it gave me a very timely opportunity to honor the guy who I learned everything I know about ports from.  Don't believe that?  Check this out [linkie].  The information goes on over the course of a second post, and then is applied throughout emil's great CJ: Province of Lazarus.  It's one-stop-shopping for everything you need to know to build a very realistic and properly scaled SC4 port.

3RR's port area is located in Fall's City, a heavily industrialized urban area about 10 miles south of Pineshore on the western shore of the Hotham Inlet.  There, Big Bay di Noce (Bay of the Nuts- apparently acorns, which early settlers ground, roasted and used for a coffee substitute) provides a sheltered deepwater harbor that has undergone almost 150 years of development since Baron Emil den Svenske arrived there in the late 1850s.

Here's the 3RR Gazetteer entry:

• Emil's Yards (Place - NE Quad Falls Twp - lat. ___° ___' ___" N / lon. ___° ___' ___" (center).)  "Emil's Yards" is a local name for an area at the upper end of the Big Bay di Noci that was originally settled by one Baron Emil den Svenske following his emigration to the region from Sweden in 1856.  den Svenke's arrival and choice of places to settle was very timely, as the Duluth, Winnepeg & Western Railroad reached the region from the south a decade later and built the yards and docks on den Svenske's land that served as its northern terminus for three years while the Wind River bridge was under construction.  This arrangement turned out to be quite lucrative for den Svenske, and by the 1880s he had parlayed his good fortune into ownership of virtually all the warehouse and grain terminal facilities in the region.  His financial backing was also instrumental in the construction of the Highland Spur line in the late 1880s to serve the newly discovered iron ore deposits in the far western reaches of the region.  Today, the descendants of den Svenske still own significant property interests in the Falls City port area, and "Emil's Yards" remains a busy center of the region's industries and rail and port infrastructure.

Here's a view of the entire quad

and a "game" shot of the area we're looking at.

There's a physical features topo available for the quad, and I thought you might be interested in seeing how stuff gets laid out in the process of making them.

Here's the final product.

This quad, by the way, is still up for grabs in 3RR collaboration.  We'd, of course, give emil "first dibs" on it, but if he's not available over the next few months someone's got to do it.

emil, you've been a great friend as well as a great source of inspiration and information.  Thanks for your contribution to the ever growing 3RR landscape.

Computer and data are all OK.  Musta been stray cosmic rays or something.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Pat

OOOOOh david now that is a fitting tribute to such a wonderful and most hardworking MDer/ CJers ive seen
to date and Emil congrats on becoming the port of 3RR

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

emilin

Wow! Thanks David! That looks like a wonderful spot for a port. It even has a natural breakwater. The story about the baron is wonderful too. Thank you so much!

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

thundercrack83

Emil's Yards looks like it's going to be quite the seaport facility, David! I can't wait to see it put together in the game!

Gaston

Congrats emilin.
Very nice indeed.
Hmmm, roasted pine nuts for coffee?   I'll have to look into that one.

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

mightygoose

is that B&W picture hand drawn or really clever photoshopping?? i can't tell with you.
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

BigSlark

David,

Emil's Yards are really, really neat sounding. It seems to be a big order, though with a city, a port, a rail terminal, and a large industrial area. I'm sure someone will be up to the challenge...

Cheers,
Kevin

dedgren

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Pat

You know MG i thinking its all hand drawn that time...
David that is turning out to be a wonderful map

mightygoose

you realise when we do complete this 3RR^4 is unfortunately totally implausible.... i mean 64x64 large city tiles is obscene..... coming in at 4096 tiles... or 65,536km^2 is an area bigger than Lithuania

now that is big.....
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Jmouse

I'll take the quad in the lower right-hand corner -- the one that's covered in water. Or maybe I'll get greedy and ask for all the ones across the bottom (except for the one on the left with land on it!)  :D Oh, and did you remember to tell thundercrack he's stuck with a Grey Mouse in his city?
Seriously though, this project is looking so awesome and I'm glad to be a part of it, even if only in spirit.

Until next time...
Joan

thundercrack83

Lithuania is really only a little bigger than West Virginia. According to Wikipedia...

3RR65536 sq km
Lithuania65200 sq km
West Virginia    62755 sq km

If you subtracted the area from Minnesota and Manitoba (I think that's where David situated 3RR), I think it would be plausible.

Shadow Assassin

Psh, Mightygoose, you know what Europe's like, lots of tiny little countries with barely any room to swing a cat. :P

Looks good, David. I wonder when we'll actually see some SC4 building, after all it's 75 pages and still no building in sight...
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

dedgren

Well, that's, as our friend MG said, 3RR^4.  Fortunately enough, we're still only on 3RR^2...

3RR is still only 1,600 square miles/4,096 square kilometers- about 30% larger than the US state of Rhode Island, which is just over 1,200 square miles/3,000 square kilometers in size.  Still pretty big, but manageable big.

Here's that completed terrain map in full (4,096x4096 pixel) size [linkie].  It will open in a new window (1.2mb- now that's big!).

That done, I have a few more clean-up things to do, but with any luck, collaboration quads will start going out into the hands of their administrator/planners sometime next week, along with a topo map and completed backstory.

Joan (Jmouse)- you pick whichever quad you would like- you are most definitely in.

As I've got other SC4D tasks to perform tonight, I'll have to leave this here.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...