• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Data Collection - Survey

Started by ldog, November 16, 2009, 12:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ldog

I would like to collect a little bit of information from the community.

Average Station Placement
How many tiles apart (from another of the same type) do you place the following on average? If you don't use a particular transit network say N/A
Bus:
Passenger Train:
Subway:
Elevated Rail (and/or GLR):
Monorail (and/or HSR):
Highway (and/or RHW) On/Off Ramps:

Do you use the following These are just yes/no
Parking Garages:
Toll booths:
Ferry:

Average Block size
How big is your average block (tiles x tiles, just the zoned part), block being defined as a single city block (zone surrounded by streets/roads) for the following zone types:
Residential:
Commercial:
Industrial (M&H):
Farms (Ind-R):
Residential LD:
Residential MD:
Residential HD:
Commercial LD:
Commercial MD:
Commercial HD:
Industrial R:
Industrial MD/HD:

Traffic Simulator used: Version and capacity. If you use a park and ride please say so as well. If you use your own unpublished then say so. If you don't use one say Vanilla.I am not trying to do a comparison between simulators, I am not in any way shape or form trying to do any kind of comparison between which is more popular, better, etc. Frankly I don't care. This disclaimer is made in light of recent events.

Actually, thinking better of this, I am going to say the traffic simulator version is completely optional. I would really prefer to know (because I do consider it relevant to playstyle) but I can also see how some people might not want to state which they use.

catty

Average Station Placement and transit network

Usually about every 10 tiles, but it can be more or less than that, it depends on the city and I probably use most of the transit network options including Parking Garages and Toll booths, basically if you can stick a RTMT stop or station on it, then its in my cities and I'm also very fond of railways and ferries and whales  ;D

Average Block size - How big is your average block (tiles x tiles) for the following zone types:

I don't have any set sizes, I tend to start off zoning separate residential, commercial and industrial areas, but then they start merging in together, I don't play large cities and only very rarely small cities

Traffic Simulator used -  Version and capacity

Simulator Z High

:)
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

ldog

Thanks Cathy.

I just want to remind everyone that the first 100 participants will receive a free trip to Vegas  ()what()  $100   ??? some coupons for Burger King  &Thk/(
:-\ A street named after them in my next city.  &idea Yes, that's it! You read that right people, a street named after you in my next city! So go on ahead and fill out those surveys while there is still time to get in on this once in a lifetime offer! Act now as streets are limited!

Offer limited to legal residents of the planet Earth, over the age of whatever is considered a reasonable age to play this game in your locality. You must have a valid sc4devotion.com forum account. No purchase necessary. Prize claimant responsible for any taxes, duties or fees applicable. For full rules and details see this post

j-dub

I do not have set patterns or sizes in my city planning. I'm bad at math, so its not like I can whip out some demographics or anything.

Average Block size
No specifics but majority of my region is low wealth commercial and residential.
I initially start out with farms and residents, later I will bring out medium density zones. Stuff also grows over time. I tend to evenly distribute commercial and residential wealths. I have very little industrial. When I zone that, I make sure it is not near anyone else. I do not use landfill zoning, recycling and garbage disposal centers work just fine. Majority of the cities in my region are medium sized blocks.

Average Station Placement and transit network
For my transit systems, I use simulator z ultra. With the realism I am trying to go for, it was necessary. My commuters also will use parking lots and parking garages, sometimes they then hop on a train, or they hop on a bus. However, car is the most used method of travel in all incorporated communities. Buses are used, but hardly, in the big city they are more frequent. In denser areas stations will be a minimum of 8 blocks away. Other communities may just have one station on the line. My region almost has an interstate system, except the fact that I had to use signalized intersections in the middle of these highway routes. At one time I was into toll booths, but not anymore. I do not use them. I do not use a park and ride system, my citizens are free to choose. Subway is used but only in the larger city tiles. Ferrys are a given, when there is a large body of water, I use ferries, not for crossing land, but they are the only working water system out of town. Bridges are used to cross bodies of water. Ferries do not seem to be used to just cross over for the most part. Bridges are preferred. Its not like I can just use one transit network, I like using more anyway. However road is used the most.

tamorr

It really all depends on my mood at the time of making particular cities, as I tend to use at least two different Mass Transit lines. I like to build my cities around the transit per say... Spacing I would prolly say it depends on district RCI. For Residentials usually 6-12 tiles apart (That is judging center of station, like rail for example.), For commercial it is usually 6-8 for buses if I use em' in the city, otherwise it is subway, or any other transit 6-10 tiles. For Industrial 8-12 tiles roughly for each stop. Monorail and el-rail are special in way that sometimes I place them roughly 4-12 apart, the less space is for when I need or want to place more.
But realy that are not designated in that way, as I spiractically and capriciously place things somethings just to make some sort of way through to the new age of technology, ummm... in the cities that is.

Average Block size depends on RCI. Farms I either make many small farms (what is small for a farm), or large ones spread out, other industrial ranges from 4-5 to even 8 tiles width and length even more variable as in somethimes being 18 tiles or more along a single block. Commercial I tend to have a 6x6, 6x7 or 6x8 depending on density I want fro that area, unless I want a special lot to possibly grow somewhere then it is based on the custom lot. As for residential it is simular to the commercial except I don't usally lay a 6x8 ever.... so mainly 6x6, 6x7, 3x width variable length, 4x variable, 2x variable, and sometimes form to slope or hilly terrain if any.

I use Simulator Z Medium, and only seem to play on medium and small tiles, as a large tile would be too much for my computer to handle.

Also note the stats vary depending on whether I am building rural , suburban, or inner city, if not a canal based or waterfront city. :)
  "It is wiser to think about your actions before doing them, but be warned One must act quickly before another takes action for you."
  "Knowledge may be Power, but it is how you use that Knowledge that makes One Powerful."
  "I am a Philosopher, Punnist, Poet, and Rambler so keep in mind I think ahead and backwards to point where communication is sometimes not completely understood, even if Enlish is my primary language, it doesn't mean I know it well N proper."
  "Always do your best to acheive your goals and Dreams one at a time."
"Patience is a virtue."

ldog

Thank you for participating J-dub and Tamorr.

All righty then. I know the rest of you would love to get in on this as well, because everybody loves surveys...[/sarcasm]

I looked for ways to simplify this a bit. I actually trimmed out 4 questions. Yes, that's right four, count 'em, four questions.

So for those of you who were interested in the survey but thought it was too much to digest, maybe you may want to try the new survey-light.
Same great lack of taste but only half the calories!

ldog

Such a tough crowd here...   ()sad()

Well anyway, thanks everyone who participated; all 3 of you.

:(
&cry2
:'(

xxdita

How many tiles apart (from another of the same type) do you place the following on average? If you don't use a particular transit network say N/A
Bus: 12 to 20, depending on the city.
Passenger Train:N/A
Subway: 12 to 20...
Elevated Rail:N/A
Monorail:N/A
Highway On/Off Ramps:N/A

Parking Garages:sometimes.
Toll booths:no
Ferry:only if the city requires it

Average Block size
How big is your average block (tiles x tiles, just the zoned part), block being defined as a single city block (zone surrounded by streets/roads) for the following zone types:

I tend to use the default low-density zones, and build in grids, upgrading to high desnity when needed, then break them up with other types when I'm finished. Unless I'm making room for a particular lot to grow.

RippleJet

Bus: 6-8
Passenger Train: Only occasionally for inter-city commute
Subway: 6-8
Elevated Rail: N/A
Monorail: N/A
Highway On/Off Ramps: N/A

Parking Garages: No
Toll booths: No (except the Census Repository)
Ferry: Rarely

Average Block size
Residential: 8x8 to 12x12 with a park in the middle
Commercial: 8x8 to 12x12 with pedmalls and subway station in the middle
Industrial (M&H): Along the edges of the map, 6-8 tiles deep
Farms (Ind-R): What are they? :D

TheTeaCat

Bus: 8-10
Passenger Train: Only occasionally for inter-city commute
Subway: used occasionally
Monorail: N/A
Highway On/Off Ramps: N/A

Parking Garages: yes
Toll booths: rarely
Ferry: only if required

Average Block size
Residential: varies. depends on the terrain and location. I don't tend to zone in "blocks"
Commercial: varies.depends on the terrain and location. I don't tend to zone in "blocks"
Industrial (M&H): , 6-8 tiles deep
Farms (Ind-R): Again the terrain is the dominating factor. No specific size except for the anchor lots

I tend to zone less than I need and only as required to maintain growth upgrading if I have too.
I try to not to make "city blocks" like in the USA as it is not something I am used to in RL here in the UK.
Lots of winding streets in my regions :D makes it hard to zone in "Blocks"  :D :D

Traffic Simulator used: NetworkAddonMod_Traffic_Plugin_Z_Classic_Euro is the one I use ;)
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

sumwonyuno

Oh, I didn't see this thread before.

Well I don't know if I really need to answer since you have a copy of the former state of my region.

Bus: ~8-15 tiles?
Passenger Train: N/A
Subway: N/A; Big Dig doesn't count
Elevated Rail: N/A, not yet...
Monorail:  N/A
Highway On/Off Ramps:  ~1/4 to 1+ mile apart

Parking Garages: Yes
Toll booths: No
Ferry: No

Average Block size
Well, there's such a wide range in the island... For residential and commercial, I don't try to go above a 6 tile-wide block, industrial I'd say 10 tiles wide, and farms... see the middle of the island.

Traffic Simulator used: Simulator Z Ultra (not counting testing)

The City & County of Honolulu, a Mayor Diary based on Honolulu, Hawai'i.

mark's memory address - I've created a blog!

emgmod

Bus: 8-12 tiles depending on the density of the area.
Passenger Train: Usually one or two per large tile. I don't have an exact length.
Subway: 20-30 tiles.
Elevated Rail: 20-50 tiles depending on the density of the area.
Monorail: Rarely, only for inter-city commutes
Highway On/Off Ramps: 1/2 mile to 3 miles, depending on the density of the area.

Parking Garages: Yes
Toll booths: Rarely
Ferry: Rarely

Average Block size
Residential: Up to 8
Commercial: Up to 6
Industrial (M&H): Up to 10
Farms (Ind-R): Usually 10-30 surrounded by trees. It can vary by a lot depending on terrain.

I use city blocks only in "older" areas, making subdivisions based on the outline of a farm on the edge of suburban development. I guessed the average size of the subdivisions for the space between blocks.

I'm currently using Traffic Simulator Z High BTM.

Tarkus

Bus: Rare.  At least 12-16 in those rare instances.
Passenger Train: N/A
Subway: N/A
Monorail: HSR on occasion, ~300 tiles apart (one per large city tile)
Highway On/Off Ramps: Usually between 0.5 and 1.5 miles.  Entirely RHW-based.

Parking Garages: No
Toll booths: No
Ferry: No

Average Block size
Residential: 5.5 (4-7)
Commercial: 5 (4-6)
Industrial (M&H): 5 (4-6)
Farms (Ind-R): Varies widely, up to 60x60 or so.

I'm currently using Traffic Simulator T (custom build).  Capacities slightly higher than A-B Hard/Z Low, but considerably lower than A-B Medium/Z Medium.  Speeds comparable.

-Alex

ldog

Much thanks everyone else who took the time to reply  :thumbsup:

??? Interesting a lot of y'all don't seem to use several network types.
&idea Changed a bit of wording to include some of the NAM equivalents (hopefully I got them right)

soulchaser

Bus:  50 (rural) or 10 (city)
Passenger Train:  max. 1 per medium tile; max. 2 per big tle
Subway:  20
Elevated Rail (and/or GLR):  20 for ER; 15 for GLR
Monorail (and/or HSR): N/A
Highway (and/or RHW) On/Off Ramps: 1-2 per medium tile; 2-4 per big tile

Parking Garages:  yes
Toll booths:  rarely
Ferry:  yes

Average Block size
Residential:  ca. 8 x 6, normally no real blocks
Commercial:  ca. 5 x 5, if ped-ways are included, 8 x 8, if there are only streets and roads included
Industrial (M&H):  8 x 6 - 12 x 6
Farms (Ind-R):  26 x 16, (4 farms) using fences at the borders of each farm, so there's only contact with a minimum part of road

Traffic Simulator used:
Z low

Hope that helps!

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!

mightygoose

Bus:  0 (rural) or 15 (city)
Passenger Train:  max. 2 per medium tile; max. 4 per large tile tile (only max numbers if they are on unconnected lines.)
Subway:  10 when used
Elevated Rail (and/or GLR):  25-30 for ER, i never use GLR but i'd imagine 7-10
Monorail (and/or HSR): one per large tile
Highway (and/or RHW) On/Off Ramps: 1 per medium tile; 3-6 per large tile

Parking Garages:  yes
Toll booths:  yes
Ferry:  yes

Average Block size
Residential:  4x8 - 6x6 around 34 tiles
Commercial:  4x4 to 8x8 caries
Industrial (M&H):  12x12 sometimes larger
Farms (Ind-R):  vary up to 60x60

Traffic Simulator used:
own custom
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Duvad

Bus: 10-20 tiles
Passenger Train: not more than 2 each medium tile, usually just 1 though
Subway: N/A
Elevated Rail (and/or GLR): N/A
Monorail (and/or HSR): N/A
Highway (and/or RHW) On/Off Ramps: in the future, yes

Parking Garages: yes, and I need to do it more!
Toll booths: no, but I would if I had freeways
Ferry: yes

Average Block size
Residential:
Commercial:
Industrial (M&H):
Farms (Ind-R):

Traffic Simulator used: Version and capacity. If you use a park and ride please say so as well. If you use your own unpublished then say so. If you don't use one say Vanilla.I am not trying to do a comparison between simulators, I am not in any way shape or form trying to do any kind of comparison between which is more popular, better, etc. Frankly I don't care. This disclaimer is made in light of recent events.

Kevin1a

Bus: ~6
Passenger Train: <3 on a large tile 1 for a small or medium tile usually in the city centre and at realistic distances from each other.  It's mostly an asthetic thing, but I've gotten the Helinsky station up to 160% or so.
Subway: ~12 used to use them closer together, but i know it's unrealistic, so I've been trying to stretch it out.  Also depends on how many other transportation options are available nearby.
Elevated Rail (and/or GLR):GLR ~6 for transit malls 12-25 everywhere else
Monorail (and/or HSR): NA
Highway (and/or RHW) On/Off Ramps: 12-24 MAXIS 24+ with RHW

Parking Garages: yes, but I don't really care about usage
Toll booths: just around CBDs usually but not always
Ferry: almost never

Average Block size
Residential: 6x6 or 6x12 6x8 in lower density
Commercial: 6x6
Industrial (M&H): 6x12
Farms (Ind-R): ~12x12
Residential LD: ugly spagetti developments, no blocks, just like the horrible city I live in
Residential MD: 6x6 6x8
Residential HD: 6x6
Commercial LD: no blocks
Commercial MD: 6x6
Commercial HD: 6x6
Industrial R: 12x12
Industrial MD/HD: 6x12

No park and rides.  I use the traffic sim that comes with the nam, but I used the tool to boost mass transit usage to average large city proportions. 

Knowing more about how far sims will walk, and what the exact preferences and speeds of different transit forms are would definitely factor into my future placement of transit facilities.

travismking

I tend to do mostly larger cities, and only medium/small cities, no larges

bus: 8-20
passenger train: 20-30 tiles (I really like heavy rail for some reason :D)
subway: generally not used, except in extremely dense areas, and they are usually only 2-3 stations on the el/GLR line
el rail/GLR: 10-30
HSR: Occasionally 2-3 stops per med tile
on ramps: usually 2-3 highway exits per med tile, but i dont use highways much, and if i do its always RHW

parking: not really, only these
toll booths: not often
ferry: when required

I generally use 6x6 - 10x6 blocks for commercial and residential in the city centers, No blocks for any industry

Currently using simulator Z High Euro version (more mass transit usage)