• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RTMT subway stations creating congestion

Started by dan415, July 11, 2012, 11:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan415

For some reason whenever my RTMT subway stations become used by a decent percentage, they create congestion on my roads, more specifically my avenues. I have no idea what could be causing this issue when subways don't interact with roads at all and yet they're creating traffic. If I remove the stations, the red traffic goes away. I've tried to place down pedestrian mall tiles but to give people more room to walk but that didn't change anything.

I'm using RTMT 3.51 and the latest version of NAM. Here's two pics showing my issue. I'm really have no idea what to do.

catty

Hi dan415

Didn't see your post last night, and unfortunately need to get ready for work, will take a look at your problem when I get home tonight.

-catty
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

dan415

Here's a pic of the car volume just in case anyone needs more information.

Also, this issue is not related to intersection congestion at all. On the circled subway stop, there's no intersection near here and yet there's a lot of congestion.

catty

Quote from: dan415 on July 11, 2012, 11:17:38 PM
...I'm using RTMT 3.51 and the latest version of NAM. Here's two pics showing my issue. I'm really have no idea what to do....

Hi dan415, the RTMT 3.51 patch was made obsolete in Oct 2009, please update to the latest version

RTMT Add-On Pack V3.60   http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2247

when you installed RTMT 3.51 the read-me recommended you use the "NAMCapacity_High.dat" as that would give you significantly higher capacities for streets, roads, and plain avenues than any of the existing capacity files.

RTMT  3.60 also uses low and high capacity stations, so would recommend that you go for the "high" capacity stations, It may be that you will also need to tweak your traffic simulator settings using the NAM Traffic Subsystem this was made part of the NAM, but you can also use it separately, the program is on the LEX here

http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2379

you will want to change the Intersection Settings to something that you are happier with

QuoteImproved intersection effects. Despite the appearance of stoplights at intersections, Sims don't actually stop; they don't even slow down unless congestion is present around the intersection. The NAM Simulator provides much more congestion around heavily-traveled intersections, thereby doing a better job of simulating stop lights and stop signs.

-catty
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

dan415

I think the problem is gone now after updating to 3.60, thanks a lot catty :)

z

Quote from: dan415 on July 11, 2012, 11:17:38 PM
For some reason whenever my RTMT subway stations become used by a decent percentage, they create congestion on my roads, more specifically my avenues.

RTMT originally had a flag set in its stations that made them look like intersections; this was to simulate traffic slowing down around stations.  I turned this feature off in the v3.51 patch.  Most likely, you built those stations before installing the patch, which affects only newly-built stations.  If you bulldoze and replop those stations, the congestion will go away.  Save your game first, though, as sometimes the game won't let you replop stations in areas that are now more built up than they were when the stations were originally plopped.  In any case, the actual effect of this extra congestion on the game is insignificant.

I would also strongly urge you to upgrade to RTMT v3.60.  Not only does this upgrade support additional networks, but it also has a number of important bug fixes.

EDIT:  I see that Cathy just posted before me.  The information in this post supersedes the information in hers (although we both recommend the upgrade and the use of the "high" settings); it's not necessary to do anything with your traffic simulator.