• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Missing green textures when on a Mac -- not in Windows

Started by evarburg, December 03, 2017, 07:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evarburg

(I dont really know what title I should give to this topic !)

My companion is coming back to SC4 after a very long hiatus. He plays on a Mac, I now play on a virtual Windows, having partitioned mine. He asked me to build him a game folder. I copied mine especially for the Deps and basic mods. So, as far as those are concerned, he now has the same game folder as mine. BUT. On his computer lots of lots are now transparent. Not on mine.

Does anyone here have any idea why this is happening and where to begin to look ?

art128

Missing ground textures means missing dependencies 9 times out of 10.

Give him the full plugin folder to see if it works.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

evarburg

Of course :). But that is not the case here.  And there has been a new developement : the textures are not missing, they are replaced by a texture so close to that of the terrain mod we use that I hadn't been sure before, but at zoom 6 it's clear. The overlays (path) textures are replaced...

Something is occurring around the BSC Park textures, too : the fillers and 3X3 green-stuff only are OK ; all the other pieces have their texture replaced by that dark green almost not noticeable one that makes them look like they're transparent.

And ()what() I don't know what to do with that piece of information !!!

art128

Ah. Are you by chance using one of the latest terrain mod, like Berner Oberland? If yes then it does replace the standard textures for grass with one that is very close to the terrain.
You should have a file named "Base Texture Replacements" in the terrain mod folder. In the read-me it said what it does.

Props & Texture Catalog

mgb204

Whilst Gobias did provide some basic overrides, if you are seeing this with Paeng/BSC park textures, you must have my TGN mod installed.

evarburg

[was away from home and computers for a few days]. Yes, and very likely yes  :) I think that is the problem. I am going to check. Thank you

evarburg

Taking out all three MGB's SVU TGN optional overrides did the trick for the BSCTextures-Based lots and for Paeng's parks, indeed (and I don't have the terrain mod in my working plugins, which explains why I don't have the problem ; I'll know now what to answer if other players have the same bug. :))

BUT. It made textures disappear in two of my lots : the green of the overlay in TL-D66 Serenity Garden ([0x612d000 to 0x613a900 series] and the base texture in my LBT Modular gardens [0x61e94000 to 0x61eab000 series]

Also in some Maxis vanilla stuff (I only checked one). See picts.

The plot thickens.

mgb204

Quote from: evarburg on December 09, 2017, 10:49:29 AM
Taking out all three MGB's SVU TGN optional overrides did the trick for the BSCTextures-Based lots and for Paeng's parks, indeed (and I don't have the terrain mod in my working plugins, which explains why I don't have the problem ; I'll know now what to answer if other players have the same bug. :))

There is no bug here.

The override files simply replace textures that are usually included in the BSC Texture Packs Vol 1-3, Paeng's Parks 205 textures and some from Maxis/SFBT Essentials. Assuming you have the original files they override installed, which you should, because TGN doesn't replace all the textures in those packs. When removing my overrides, the original grasses would appear once more where these textures are used.

Whilst I was trying to match the terrain as much as possible with these overrides, a brief look should clearly show that textures exist, they certainly aren't identical to the terrain beneath. So you need to clarify if you were seeing transparency (i.e. no texture) or simply one that looks similar to the terrain. It's also worth noting, nothing inside the TGN mod is reliant on having anything else installed. I.e. even if you didn't have the corresponding terrain mod installed, you'd still see the TGN grasses if files from it are in your plugins folder.

QuoteBUT. It made textures disappear in two of my lots : the green of the overlay in TL-D66 Serenity Garden ([0x612d000 to 0x613a900 series] and the base texture in my LBT Modular gardens [0x61e94000 to 0x61eab000 series]

This is impossible. As mentioned above, if textures are missing, you must have failed to install the correct dependencies in the first place. Indeed those ID's would pin-point the BSC Texture Mega Packs as the source of your problem. So I'd double check you have all three volumes installed correctly.

QuoteAlso in some Maxis vanilla stuff (I only checked one). See picts.

Now usually I'd come straight out and say you have a wider problem with your game, because Maxis textures simply can not go missing. They are always there, unless either you have messed with the SimCity dat files or such files have corrupted in some way.

But, I notice a few things about the Minor League Stadium you show, that suggests this may not be the case here. The original lot doesn't include all those lights for starters, not to mention the parking textures shown are not on the default lot either. This tells me, you've a re-lot or override of that stadium installed, so it's perfectly likely that the textures used in that re-lot were not the Maxis originals, once more the problem is missing texture dependencies.

Again I would check you have the BSC Texture Mega Packs properly installed before proceeding.

evarburg

I did not want to suggest the missing textures were due to taking out your overrides, Robin -- if it reads like that, it was not my intent. I am just saying that I noticed the missing overlay and base textures after taking them out. I didn't take anything else out. Both my Serenity Garden and my LBT Modular Gardens have their dependencies. And the three BSC textures packs are all three cosily nestled in my deps folder, where they always have been  :) . I'll keep exploring. Since it is happening on Denis' computer and not on mine, I obviously have something he doesn't despite the fact that we thought we had cloned my plugins folder !

Small tooth comb time ! ;D

art128

That's not a maxis stadium lot. The baseball park never came with the small stands like that. You're using a custom re-lot.

Props & Texture Catalog

mattb325

Two issues as I see it.

1) Obviously the stadium is a re-lot and an old one at that. It may or may not list the correct dependencies, or the dependencies that it listed had incorrect IDs assigned (once a fairly common issue).
2) The prop packs in your folder may not necessarily be the most up-to-date ones.

• For instance your BSC Tex Vol01 has a modified date of 9/3/2007; the LEX file was last updated 5/4/2007
  • Your Vol 02 & 03 look OK

That's all I can suggest from a game perspective...otherwise could it have something to do with how Macs have folder/structure/file limitations?

evarburg

I'll update the vol01, just-incase. But as I said, the missing textures are AWOL on my companion's Mac,not on my virtual windows partition. AND when he first plopped those two lots, they were OK ! I just hope, indeed, Matt, that it is NOT one of Mac notorious quirks.

And yes, the football field is a relot. I'm gonna relot the heck out of those early sports field... or lot some all of my own ; I was experimenting with them at the time, wayyyy back, like, four or five months ago  :D