• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The educational side of the game

Started by townscape, June 22, 2010, 01:59:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

townscape

We need one for sure. &scl()

We can embed small batches of information, like a window popping up when you click with a query tool on a high wealth house:
                               _____________________________________________________________
                              |      High wealth citizens require more services and especially police       |
                              |     coverage. They demand lots of schools and short commute times.    |
                              |        __________                                   ____________________      |
                              |       |  -OK-  :thumbsup: |                                |  "$Deal"$ -Show Wiki Page- |     |
                              |_____________________________________________________________|

Also to simplify some management issues to the more young generations there should be more visual and audio feedback

Does anyone have any suggestions concerning this topic?
What minimum age group are we aiming for and what are the interests and attention spans we should take notice of? (Hint: Disasters is a must! ;))

funny how I link the banner to the only place I ever post :)
The Greatest place to get a game name

DanniBee

Hmm.. If this is going to be for the community then do we need an age group? I thought that was only if we were planning to sell it would you need an age group? But I don't see a problem with that as long as you can turn it off.

Lowkee33

I think that Sim City Societies should be enough for the kids.  Most games have taken to dumbing (which apparently I cant spell :) ) down since the early 00s and that has lead to what I think is the downfall of games.  Paradox Interactive has not done this as much, but the latest trading game was significantly below their own scope.

In that regard, as I am a more seasoned gamer, any visual help should be optional (...open-source I know).  I would rather have my graphics card figuring out how to make the city look cool.  Civilization had a good system in which certain words on a query would be links to the civilopedia (encyclopedia).  This in-game reference was moddifiable out of game, and so a system like that would be very useful for a SimMania modder to explain what his/her work meant.  An example for SC4 would be something like:  This is a "Brick-Walk-Up", and "Brick-Walk-Up" would be a link to things like what stage it was and what the stage limits are.

Hmmm, Paradox also did Medieval Lords, which was great until it became repetitive.  The UI was very clear about what was needed for a building to grow.  (They did a more complicated version of the Caesar demand system).   

townscape

I never meant to simplify the simulation or the game itself, but to simplify it's handling and learning curve. Maybe if it would be easy to understand how the game works, more people would like it. I noticed a lot of people on the internet saying "I tried SimCity, but couldn't build anything larger than <number> peoples". Maybe a more intuitive tutorial, better yet a video tutorial,  that introduces to the main idea behind the simulation.

We can place a question at the first start if this is their first meeting with a city builder, so we could explain in detail the basic concept of city building, besides the main tutorial.

I wanted anyone who would try this game, even if he is 7-10 years old, would understand how to sustain a decent city. SimCity did it pretty well. I played it when I was 12 years and somehow sustained a small city and was happy. My school colleagues did not though they tried.

funny how I link the banner to the only place I ever post :)
The Greatest place to get a game name

WC_EEND

I think that a good way to make the game accessible for all age groups is to be able to enable/disable certain settings that made thins more difficult (like FSX did it). Like tis you could both appeal to the hardcore gamers as well as the ones new to the game.
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project