• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

"Tunnel" Bridge

Started by smoncrie, July 22, 2011, 07:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threestooges

Dang, now I feel out of the loop here. Not too familiar with "flat tunnels" though I think I've seen them around before. Any quick description you could give or link to a thread that might provide a bit more insight into their creation?

smoncrie

Sorry, but I don't remember the threads where David first published how to make flat tunnels.
Here is what I said about them in the Fixing Maxis bridges thread:

Quote from: smoncrie on July 22, 2011, 06:43:27 PM

Quote from: smoncrie on July 22, 2011, 08:26:59 PM
The flat tunnel is fully functional and does not have the problems you get with using a subway.  It is literally a "flat or flattened tunnel" and works like any tunnel, except that traffic stays on the surface.  The vehicles do tend to fade out, though. Like any tunnel it can go under bridges, puzzle pieces and lots.  Streets and RHW are more difficult because they don't have tunnels.

It comes in two parts: a permanent part, and a temporary part.  To make a flat tunnel, you install the temporary part and then create the tunnel.  The tunnel entrances are overhanging models that look like the transit network.   You then save the city and remove the temporary part.  When you reload the city the flat tunnel will still be there.
The biggest problems seem to be getting the ground leveled just right, and getting the models to match the grass near the tunnel entrances.  With the models I made, the tunnels can be from 3 to 8 tiles long (excluding the entrances).

I heard about flat tunnels about 1 ½ years ago.  If I remember correctly they were invented by dedgrin.

An interesting side effect is that animals can wander across the tunnel part of the road.