• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Port St Claire (#36)

Started by Swordmaster, October 07, 2012, 05:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmyers2043

Quote from: Swordmaster on November 01, 2012, 09:52:04 PM
3.3.  and/or farms.

Wow, is this a great idea or what? I often try to set my farm buildings away from the main road. But I never thought to use a curved puzzle piece until now.

- Jim
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

Gugu3

Willy your CJ is simply amazing!love all the details which can be found in your rural landscapes!
&apls &apls &apls &apls
cheers
Gugu3

wallasey

This MD has a rather unique rural feel to it which I like a lot!

Your work with the Lots may be time consuming, but wow don't hey make a difference! I really like your misty, marshy views too!

Swordmaster

I figure a break from the unbearable rurality would be in order, so. . .           mapping time!  &dance

On a sidenote, I've finally got some sort of structure going:

0.   Introduction

• 0.1.  Barton 1780s, pt 1
  • 0.2.  Barton 1780s, pt 2
  • 0.3.  Scarborough 1780s, pt 1
  • 0.4.  Scarborough 1780s, pt 2
  • 0.5.  Concord & vicinity 1780s
  • 0.6.  History of New Brabant
  • 0.7.  St Claire 1791
  • 0.8.  Introducing Port St Claire anno 2012 (part 1: State & City)
  • 0.9.  Introducing Port St Claire anno 2012 (part 2: City (cont'd) & Counties)
  • 0.10.  Introducing Port St Claire anno 2012 (part 3: Boroughs & Towns)
That should more or less get the job done. Starting from 1.x we'll be taking a more methodical approach.

Okay, so what's this Port St Claire thing this MD is actually named after? I've been showing a great deal of farms, but no port in sight. Well. . . that's because the big city doesn't exist yet.

You see, this project has been in the works for four or five years, possibly even longer than that because it's existed in many forms. The first time the name appears in my archives seems to be 2007, but I think it goes without saying that what I've shown so far doesn't look like five years worth of imagination.

As it stands, this city was developed in reverse. I first came up with a plan, an idea of what the region should look like with no thoughts of how it could have gotten there. Then I figured I needed a history of sorts, to have it all make sense. Much of the past couple of years has been spent – meaning the spare moments I had – ruminating the concept of PSC. Everything I've ever felt about city building, transportation networks, urban landscapes, social textures and what not, has been crammed in this city. The results of that are a ton of maps and documents – many of which are still in a rather incoherent state – and a couple of SC4 regions as well.

However, when faced with the prospect of starting an MD, I was cautious. I needed to remind myself of the fact that MDs are about SimCity, not geofiction. Lest I go on a rampage posting map after map with no building in sight (only David can do that well).

But there's little use in continuing without getting in the thick of it now and then, and this is such a moment. Nothing I could show further would make any sense to you the way it does to me unless I try to convey head-first what this place is all about.

So bear with me through the next few updates. I myself am rarely inclined to read a lot of text, so why should you?

Because this city, for the time being, thrives on context.

But before we get to PSC itself, we'll take on the bigger picture. I spent a bit of time the past weeks going through some older documents and putting everything together on the history of the fictional state PSC is located in. Most of this text doesn't even discuss the city itself, so decide for yourself if you want to delve in.

To seduce you, however, I snuck in some maps.

0.6.  History of New Brabant

Note: in advance, I apologize for the bad quality of the maps. Looks like they've got work to do on those archives in Maynard.

1. Beginnings

The history of New Brabant begins in the early 17th century. Traders from the Spanish Netherlands were the first to settle the fertile northern banks of the river Dyle, and by the 1640s, they had set up several outposts across the valley. Until the 1680s, the majority of pioneers coming to the colony were indentured servants, escaping conflict and poverty, many of them from areas in the Duchy of Brabant, whence the original names.

In 1672, the English took possession of the region during the Second Anglo-Spanish war, and made it a royal colony. Due to the support they received from the settlers, they allowed the territory to retain its name, and designated it the Province of New Brabant. The first English governor was Sir Edward Hamilton. On his order, the counties of Brabant (1674) and Flanders (1677) were set up. During this time, the prosperous colony continued to attract immigrants from the Low Countries, but a growing influx of Britons and Walloons diminished its initial Dutch-speaking characteristics.

The establishment of the County of Hainault (1709) north of the Province sparked tensions with neighboring colonies, who disputed possession of the areas. A compromise was reached, chartering the lands south of the 40°50' N parallel and east of the 73°80' W meridian to New Brabant. This expansion made the colony four times as large, and gave it access to the largely untamed wilderness of the Thunder and Pine valleys. This territory was opened up for settlement in 1721, and organized as Northwest County.

Click to enlarge!

However, there was virtually no immigration to these parts during the 18th century, as most of the development was focused on the more accessible Dyle valley, becoming famous for its tobacco culture. The original two counties were each split up a number of times to accommodate higher population numbers and new settlements that sprang up.

During the 1750s and '60s, the colony experienced an age of growth and prosperity, and the number of counties rose to twelve. The following decade of turbulence, however, marked a reversal in New Brabant's pattern of development.

Click to enlarge!

2. Revolution

Although late to support the First Continental Congress, New Brabant leaders were foremost among the Patriots once the Revolutionary War broke out. During the Second Continental Congress ('75), the colony's delegation was led by Thomas St Claire, who was later elected the first state governor in 1776. To this day, he is considered one of the greatest statesmen produced by the state – a river, county, and city were named in his honor. St Claire was, however, never able to sign the Declaration of Independence due to losing his writing hand in a duel. Matthew Person, Daniel Harden, and John Maynard signed in his stead.

However, during the war, New Brabant's unequivocal support for independence was sourly retaliated for by the invading Britons and Hessians, who left a trail of destruction when they passed through the valley. The capital New Antwerp, which had become North America's foremost port, was ransacked in October 1781, and was denied a revival due to the naval blockade. A direct result of this was the displacement of people, with those who could afford it embarking on northbound adventures. This gradually shifted the demographic and economic center from the Dyle valley towards the previously unattractive woodlands of the northwest.

On February 9, 1788, New Brabant was admitted as the sixth state in the Union. Its government, temporarily housed in Belmont, was moved to a new capital named after then Governor John Maynard. It was located centrally in the state on the banks of the Thunder, as a measure to stimulate growth of the interior. This and the ensuing establishment of King James and Thunder counties were only the first steps on a path of growth that would last deep into the 20th century.

Click to enlarge!

Now, guess where PSC is located :)

Replies

Quote from: jmyers2043Wow, is this a great idea or what? I often try to set my farm buildings away from the main road. But I never thought to use a curved puzzle piece until now.

- Jim
Thanks, Jim. I don't know about South Carolina, but here in Europe, it's hard to find a straight road for once.

Quote from: nas-tGreat update! &apls
Thanks! Just a few pictures to immortalize that area before it all turns to concrete.

Quote from: Gugu3Willy your CJ is simply amazing!love all the details which can be found in your rural landscapes!
&apls &apls &apls &apls
cheers
Gugu3
Thank you, that's very kind to say.

Quote from: wallaseyThis MD has a rather unique rural feel to it which I like a lot!

Your work with the Lots may be time consuming, but wow don't hey make a difference! I really like your misty, marshy views too!
Thanks, great to see you here as well! For your interest, Liverpool plays a big part in my region!

Cheers
Willy

nas-t

Quote from: Swordmaster on November 04, 2012, 03:42:33 PM
Thanks! Just a few pictures to immortalize that area before it all turns to concrete.
I'm curios about that ;)  Great maps & great read. I want more!  :P

RickD

You have really put much thought into this MD. And the presentation of the backgroundstory is very well done. It is interesting to read but it is also not too much information.

Your maps are great. Hope to see more.  :thumbsup:
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

noahclem

QuoteThanks again, Noah. Great to see you making the effort to reply every time so far!

I think you jinxed yourself  ;)  Sorry I missed the last one, it was a lovely update despite you describing it as a "filler". I particularly enjoyed seeing another Halloween theme! The old fashioned maps look awesome and the extra background is good to get as well. So where is PSC? I'm guessing somewhere on the lower St Claire River  :thumbsup:

art128

Now that's some awesome maps there Willy! Although I prefer modern maps, I have to say these looks nice. The style is there, the names are here, perfect.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

feyss

Woooh. Nice work. Beautiful maps and good historical background.  :thumbsup:

And the cities' names look familar to me. It's a little bit strange.  :D

Framly

What a nice MD! I really like your nature-shots!

Keep it up :)

-klick-1st Anniversary Video-klick-
Part of SFBT and RFR Team

rambuckel

Brilliant idea and setting :) I like the background story ... reminds me of the book I read recently. This MD promises to be one of the really interesting ones ...  :sunny:
Angels can fly because they don't take themselves too serious!

Schulmanator

I love your old maps. The style is well done and they are realistic in feel. Nice!
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

sunv123

Your maps look very realistic, and you can really tell the difference when years pass because of the look and quality of each map. For that, I must give you an elephant. &dance

looking forward for more!  :)
Provo, a city apart Updated July 4.

wallasey

The historical context and the maps are a great addition to your MD. It's been great to see how the area has developed over time politically. Initially I thought PSD would be on the coast where the river enters the sea, but thinking about it, I am shall agree with Noah. I take it the river is navigable quite far inland?

You've got me hooked with the Liverpool reference! Of course the city played a big part in trade. Interestingly the largest brick built warehouse ( reputedly in the world) is the Tobacco Warehouse on the North Docks.

The region looks to be one of great promise. I look forward to seeing more!

MTT9

Great background story. As usual, i look foward for more :)
You can call me Matt

Swordmaster

Replies

Quote from: nas-tI'm curios about that ;)  Great maps & great read. I want more!  :P
Thanks! You want it, you'll get it!

Quote from: RickD7You have really put much thought into this MD. And the presentation of the backgroundstory is very well done. It is interesting to read but it is also not too much information.

Your maps are great. Hope to see more.  :thumbsup:
Thanks Raphael. Yes, maybe too much thought. But then, this is more than just a SC4 city for me.

Oh, and. . . you're in today's update. . . for being the first poster here ;)

Quote from: noahclemI think you jinxed yourself  ;)  Sorry I missed the last one, it was a lovely update despite you describing it as a "filler". I particularly enjoyed seeing another Halloween theme! The old fashioned maps look awesome and the extra background is good to get as well. So where is PSC? I'm guessing somewhere on the lower St Claire River  :thumbsup:
Thanks Noah. Yeah, I should shut up about getting comments. . . but it's great fun to read all of your replies. As for your guess, you're very close. You'll get the answer in the next couple of updates.

Quote from: art128Now that's some awesome maps there Willy! Although I prefer modern maps, I have to say these looks nice. The style is there, the names are here, perfect.
Thanks Arthur. You'll get a ton of modern maps in this MD. Maps are a passion of mine, and were the main drive behind creating this region. In fact, I consider playing SC4 an elevated form of map-making.

Quote from: feyssWoooh. Nice work. Beautiful maps and good historical background.  :thumbsup:

And the cities' names look familar to me. It's a little bit strange.  :D
Thanks! Yes, I'm sure it's strange because we're used to seeing little Belgian influence in the world outside of Congo. Although there are a couple towns in America named Antwerp.

Quote from: FramlyWhat a nice MD! I really like your nature-shots!

Keep it up :)
Oh, great to see you here, Framly. To get this compliment from you is great! Thanks!

Quote from: rambuckelBrilliant idea and setting :) I like the background story ... reminds me of the book I read recently. This MD promises to be one of the really interesting ones ...  :sunny:
And welcome to you, too, Theresa. Thanks for that friendly compliment!

Quote from: SchulmanatorI love your old maps. The style is well done and they are realistic in feel. Nice!
Thanks! Stay tuned for more!

Quote from: sunv123Your maps look very realistic, and you can really tell the difference when years pass because of the look and quality of each map. For that, I must give you an elephant. &dance

looking forward for more!  :)
Nothing beats elephants! Thanks!

Quote from: wallaseyThe historical context and the maps are a great addition to your MD. It's been great to see how the area has developed over time politically. Initially I thought PSD would be on the coast where the river enters the sea, but thinking about it, I am shall agree with Noah. I take it the river is navigable quite far inland?

You've got me hooked with the Liverpool reference! Of course the city played a big part in trade. Interestingly the largest brick built warehouse ( reputedly in the world) is the Tobacco Warehouse on the North Docks.

The region looks to be one of great promise. I look forward to seeing more!
Thanks! Yes, the Liverpool-St Claire route was a very busy one during the late 19th century and up to the 1920s. One of America's major immigration routes. Even better, there's a town in PSC called Liverpool!

Quote from: MTT9Great background story. As usual, i look foward for more :)
Thanks Matt. You managed to post right in time before this update came!

0.7.  St Claire, 1791

Today is a big moment for PSC. . . ah, where's that dancing elephant again?

But let's take up where we left, shall we?

The first New Brabant state legislature passed the Northwest Settlement Act in 1789, which provided for the organization of King James County. The county was centered on King James Lake, where a suitable transshipment port needed establishing to provide a link to the new state capital in Maynard. The more or less stable southern shore was chosen for this purpose.

There's some confusion about St Claire's founding date. Some take that of the county establishment, 1789. Some point to the first inhabitants' arrival in 1787, or even earlier. But the only date that really counts is 1791, when the first mayor was appointed. Edward van Dyke, Dutchman by birth, holds legendary status to this day due to his driving influence in getting the town running in adverse circumstances.

Van Dyke was a wealthy trader from New Antwerp, who had seen his fortunes decline along with the city during the Revolution. He obtained the state's charter to found the port, and named it after the recently deceased Thomas St Claire.

The Raphael sailing up the King James river (facing south). The ship was one of Van Dyke's private fleet, and played an important pioneering role in PSC. ;)

Van Dyke landed with his party in October 1790, when no more than a couple of farmers had settled the area. Most of the new county, whose exact borders we'll explore next update, was still a backwater with only a few thousand inhabitants, most of which in Barton. Despite the latter's seniority, the county was seated in the new city, which from the beginning grew at a rapid pace

0.7.1.  Whew. . . finally a view on St Claire. Includes the island of Arlington in the upper part. Population here, about 1,100. Facing north. (Click for larger.)

0.7.2.  Closer. . . (Click for larger.)

0.7.3.  Closer still! This part will later be known as the "Old Wharf", but as for now it is just "the wharf". It's the oldest port structure in the whole region, and being right at the heart of the city, will doubtlessly undergo many facelifts over the next two centuries or so.

0.7.4.  You can see, even in the early days there was quite some business to be done. The Raphael would make many a return journey to bring goods and passengers to the region.

0.7.5.  Wait. . . that guy again? He should take a break from fishing really. And his dog is harassing the dock workers!

0.7.6.  Directly off the wharf, some shops and warehouses started to pop up. But as you can see, it's all in a very early stage. (Facing west.) (Click for larger.)

0.7.7.  County hall, a block or two from the wharf. You may find this building a little high, but that's Van Dyke's influence. Dutchmen always think of possible floods, and the county archives are stored in the attic, not the basement! (Facing east.) (Click for larger.)

0.7.8.  The Evelyn Browning School. Founded on the site of the Browning farm, by the farmer's wife. Work in progress, though. The main farm building has already been converted. . . the barn not quite. Looks like some kids are inventing a sport to play on that field. Can we lend some of those poles? (Facing south.) (Click for larger.)

0.7.9.  A view facing east.

0.7.10.  Finally, when you're tired of all the hassle and the work, you can always get back to where we used to be. The rural life, the woods, tobacco fields. . . the road to Barton.

That's about it. I hope it wasn't too disappointing. It certainly wasn't for me. I built this tile up to the brink about three or four times in the past. But it's never looked this close to where I want it.

Coming up, we're rounding off this introduction with an unflinching disclosure of the region, the future, the plans. . . and of course a couple more pictures as St Claire grows over the next five to ten years. I'll be having a couple days off from work, so we'll make it a nice middle-of-the-birthday-month week. See you.

Cheers
Willy

MTT9

I guess i should comment first now, as i almost miss the last update.

I really like the strories you add to every image, can't help but wonder what will happend eventually to Arlington Island...
You can call me Matt

Schulmanator

Great rural pics! The detail and harmony between elements is very nice. Truly some great work here! :D
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

noahclem

A very pleasant surprise to see historic era work here! Very much enjoyable with a nice, unique, and detailed feel. Of course my favorite part is the dog harassing the workers  :D  Really great pictures, lotting, etc and I'm looking forward to seeing what else you'll do with your extra free time  ;)