• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Is there a way to trigger night lights (during day time)

Started by xannepan, January 15, 2013, 01:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xannepan

I am looking for a way to trigger night lights during day time for a defined period of time. Not sure it had ever been nvestigated or attempted, so before I dive into it, I thought of posting the question here.

sunv123

To trigger night lights during day times using the easy way is:

1. Turn the night mode on.
2. Save and exit to region.
3. Enter another city tile and turn the day mode on.
4. Save and exit to region.
5. Enter that tile that you're testing and voila, night lights are on while it's daytime. You should have enough time to test them and such.
(You can turn them off by going back to night mode.)

If this is not the case with your situation, oops.
Provo, a city apart Updated July 4.

xannepan

Thank you sunv123. But what I am actually looking for is a way to mod it... Trigger it by an exemplar property or lua script or something.

noahclem

This may be outside the scope of what you're trying to do but I'd suggest that it would be really great to see building lights on during the twilight times, or at least around the same time that car lights turn on  :thumbsup:

xannepan

I am trying to do something similar Noah. I can now make it darker during a thunderstorm. It would be great though that those silly sims would turn on their lights :)

wouanagaine

AFAIR I did some screenshot with building lighted in the dawn ( while the sky is orange )
I don't remember how I did this, but it was by pressing switching between night & day mode (F5 F6)

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

callagrafx

Quote from: xannepan on January 15, 2013, 01:24:23 PM
I am looking for a way to trigger night lights during day time for a defined period of time. Not sure it had ever been nvestigated or attempted, so before I dive into it, I thought of posting the question here.

If I recall standard nightlighting is achieved by the renderer creating the night scene (overlaying blue "night" cast and turning physical lighting on) and rendering a separate set of textures, replacing them at night... You could try creating a day model with lighting on, and make it a timed prop along with the standard daytime building.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

memo

At least to some degree, lighting is controlled by an Exemplar file called "Lighting" (GID: 0xA9189CF0). The Property "NightThreshold" determines at which degree of darkness night lights are triggered. At a high percentage, Sims turn on the lights at the first sign of dusk, whereas they do not turn on their lights at a low percentage. This seems to have an effect on Automata and street lights only, but not on any houses. The PNG file with the IID 0x0917660E defines the colour/brightness during the course of the day. Its darkness values seem to affect the lighting of Automata and street ligths, along with the "NightThreshold".

I hope it helps. Though, I'd expect that - if you did not change the PNG file to decrease brightness during daytime - you have no chance to achieve what you want.

NCGAIO

Well .. as I recall the night falls and day born, so to speak, with the time  defined by ...

So basically, the game triggers the start and end nocturnal layer based on  watch, that's why I do not see how to do this without being related to it .. . Still just to inform [lighting]

RippleJet

Just came across this... those two properties are the ones I tweaked in my longer night lights mod, as discussed here.