• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

CSX Mega Lot Problem

Started by markussaage, September 20, 2014, 10:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markussaage

Hello and good morning,

I am dealing with a problem here that probably you guys can help me out with.
As you can see there is a building showing up at the csx 8x8 Mega Lot ID GC Gas Depot that obviously should not be there.
As I found out it could be a problem with the necessary dependency CSX Mega Props Vol01.
When I leave that dependency out of my Plugins-Folder, the obligatory brown box appears...  ;)

Any suggestion how to fix this?
Any idea is highly appreciated.

Thank you!

vortext

Hm, I've not been able to reproduce the issue and atm I do not have time to look into it more thoroughly. However, I think it could be some kind of prop family interference which may in fact be caused by completely different file in the plugins folder. You may want to try to take everything out but the dependencies and see if the issue persists (fyi use the lotplop cheat to plop the lot, preferably in an empty tile).
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

joshua43214

I agree this is a probably a prop issue. It is easy to solve, and will take less than half an hour.

Move everything except the problem mod and it's dependencies from your plugins folder (you can leave NAM, CAM, slope mods, etc in) to a new folder on your desktop.

start the game and make sure the lot loads properly (don't skip this step).
If the lot does not load properly take a new screen shot and report back here.

If the lot loads properly move 1/2 of your plugins back into the game, start the game and look for a problem.
Keep adding 1/2 of your plugins back into the game until the problem re-appears.

I do this quickly by creating new folders to move files into and out of. So if the first batch of files is ok, I move those files into a new folder called something like "PluginsOK." When I load a batch that causes a problem, I remove 1/2 of that batch into a folder called something like "PluginsSuspect."

Just keep dividing by two and you will find the problem pretty fast.

You can speed the process up a bit by cherry picking mods that should not be a problem. This should be anything downloaded from the LEX. When all the LEX files check out, files from the STEX whose authors also post to the STEX are the next batch that should be ok. If it does turn out to be a problem with a LEX file, make sure you report it here so it can be addressed.

When you locate the problem file, remove all mods from that author into a safe place, and contact the author if possible to let them know the problem exists. I recognize the building that is causing your problem, but I can't recall for the life of me where it comes from. It looks like a Japanese residential so you might be able to start there. If the author is not reachable, you will have to either remove the file permanently or create a new prop family. I suggest removing all files from that author because there are probably other conflicts as well.

markussaage

Hi guys,

thank you for help so far.
I did the following to clear the problem as you suggested:
1. I cleaned my Plugins-Folder of everything except all dependecies necessary for this lot. No other Props or Lots or anything else was in my Plugins-Folder. The result you can see at Pic No1.
2. I reduced the rest of my Plugins to the bottom and at the very end only the CSX Mega Prop Vol01 from Gascooker was left. The result is shown in Pic No2.
3. I looked the Mega Prop in iLive's Reader and I found the building inside of it...

So what now?

vortext

Just to make sure: you did actually re-plop / re-grow the lot, right? Because I tried the same as you did in 2 and .  . nothing.  &mmm
time flies like a bird

joshua43214

Quote from: markussaage on September 21, 2014, 05:49:47 AM
CSX Mega Prop Vol01 from Gascooker was left.

This should be BSC megaprops Vol01 gascooker, not CSX
http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=397

I assume you just mistyped.
The whole thing is really weird anyway. That does not look like a gascooker prop lol, though I have to say it is a nice looking building...

Re-download the file from the LEX. The link in the readme is to the STEX. You should try to avoid downloading anything from the STEX that is also available here on the LEX or on SimCityKurier. The STEX is just a big mess, and I have little faith that stuff there actually gets deprecated or updated ever since they revamped the website.
Any file you get from the LEX will be the latest version, and old versions are locked so they can not be downloaded.

Make sure you run the cleanitol file BEFORE you re-install the prop file.
http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=97

vortext

Quote from: joshua43214 on September 21, 2014, 03:42:06 PM

The whole thing is really weird anyway. That does not look like a gascooker prop lol, though I have to say it is a nice looking building...

That building is in CSX vol1, which is also listed as dependency for these lots.

I concur re-downloading is a sensible idea: get the lots and CSX prop pack anew from the LEX. I looked briefly at various TGIs but as far as I can tell there're no double entries or other flukes which may possibly lead to this weirdness.
time flies like a bird

markussaage

Quote from: vortext on September 21, 2014, 03:50:45 PM
Quote from: joshua43214 on September 21, 2014, 03:42:06 PM

That building is in CSX vol1, which is also listed as dependency for these lots.

I concur re-downloading is a sensible idea: get the lots and CSX prop pack anew from the LEX. I looked briefly at various TGIs but as far as I can tell there're no double entries or other flukes which may possibly lead to this weirdness.

Hello y'all!

First: No I didn't replop the lot again. I bulldozed it twice before to see it grow again, allways with the same problem. It is hard to get these lots only by growing... I've never tried this extra cheats plugin, because I only use growable lots in my cities. But if you say I need to regrow/replop the lot during testing, I'll give it a try.

Second: I have both the BSC Mega Prop Vol1 and Vol2 by Gascooker in my Plugins. During the test I had only the CSX Mega Prop Vol01 in my Plugins, and this building appeared alone on the lot as you can see in one of my screen shots and yes, this Prop is one dependency...
I guess the gascooker Mega Prop Vol01 is necessary for the original building to appear on this lot. That you can see there actually on one edge under
the wrong building... By looking at the LEX again I figured out, that all listed Mega Props from Gascooker link to only BSC Mega Prop Vol01... Is Vol02 outdated?

Third: I've redownloaded the Prop Pack two times again to make sure I don't have a broken file or something.

Thanks so far for all you help! I appreciate it!

Update: Ok, guys, I've found it! It was caused by a Prop called CSXBATProps_Homes Vol03_Family, witch was not on a BSC Cleanitol file for removing. The one on a Cleanitol file was named CSXBATProps_Homes Vol03. Kinda discombobulating, huh?!  &hlp
Anyway, thank you all for your help and the idea with the extra_cheats_plugin. Pretty cool for testing purposes...  &apls

joshua43214

I don't actually use this lot, but I went ahead and downloaded it to try and repeat the problem. I have most of the dependencies, and it works fine for me.
BTW, the extra cheats plugin is really handy for this.
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/21118-simcity-4-extra-cheats-plugin/
Hit cntrl-X
right click in the window
select BuildingPlop
scroll down the list to the CSX lot in question and select the lot.
close the pop up
select the lot in the next pop up
close the window and the lot will be on your cursor.

Time for the heavy lifting...
Get the SC4 DataNode
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/27675-sc4datanode/

put all your plugins back as normal.
delete the CSX industrial lots folder located in
C:\Users\John\Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\CSX\CSXLots\CSXIndustrials - 8080
the folder should contain 4 SC4Lot files
reinstall the CSX industrial mega lots

Fire up SC4 Data node, there will be an upper and lower window.
Click the "Rescan" button in the upper window and let it scan your game.
Click the "Scan File" button in the lower window and navigate to the CSX industrials folder and select the Gas Depot.
The lower window will split in half, you will probably have to drag the separator to the left to see the contents of the right window.
select the Gas Depot lot in the left window,
scroll down the right window and you will see every dependency used by this mod
you might have to drag the main divider up to see all the filter options in the lower window.
find the dependency that is not in the readme's dependency list.

The great thing about this program is that it loads everything in the same order the game does, and it allows you to see what is over-riding what. Used in conjunction with iLivesReader, you can look for the prop ID and see what file it is coming from.

I loaded the file up in the Lot editor. There are three buildings in a line where your problem is.
The one in the middle is gc_shedcorregated_rust_02. The outer ones (you can see part of it in your first pic) is gc_shedcorregated_smog_02. Both of these buildings are in the BSC megaprops - gascooker Vol01
My bet it the problem lies with the building in the center (_rust_02). If you load that file in DataNode, you can get some information about it. If the file is being over ridden or if it over rides another file, a message will appear in the right window.

Hope this helps. The DataNode is a very powerful tool. You might have to mess with it a bit to get what you need from it.

vortext

Quote from: markussaage on September 22, 2014, 07:12:38 AM
Update: Ok, guys, I've found it! It was caused by a Prop called CSXBATProps_Homes Vol03_Family, witch was not on a BSC Cleanitol file for removing. The one on a Cleanitol file was named CSXBATProps_Homes Vol03. Kinda discombobulating, huh?!  &hlp
Anyway, thank you all for your help and the idea with the extra_cheats_plugin. Pretty cool for testing purposes...  &apls

Good to hear you got it solved! Seems like my hunch about prop families proved correct. Also, the 'extra cheats' is kind of a misnomer as the file was actually used for debugging by Maxis.

time flies like a bird

markussaage

Quote from: vortext on September 22, 2014, 10:08:18 AM
Quote from: markussaage on September 22, 2014, 07:12:38 AM

Good to hear you got it solved! Seems like my hunch about prop families proved correct. Also, the 'extra cheats' is kind of a misnomer as the file was actually used for debugging by Maxis.

;D ()stsfd() Thanks to Maxis then... So we have the chance to debug our stuff... In the last couple of months I checked half of my plugins so far and reorganised them and I've found a few lots not working correctly and causing CtDs... I've learned my lessons...  %wrd &idea Thank you all for this experience... SC4 ist a great game and the community is just awesome!!! Thanks again to everbody to keep this game alive... and for all of the fabulous lots!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

markussaage

Quote from: joshua43214 on September 22, 2014, 09:37:35 AM
I don't actually use this lot, but I went ahead and downloaded it to try and repeat the problem. I have most of the dependencies, and it works fine for me.
BTW, the extra cheats plugin is really handy for this.
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/21118-simcity-4-extra-cheats-plugin/
Hit cntrl-X
right click in the window
select BuildingPlop
scroll down the list to the CSX lot in question and select the lot.
close the pop up
select the lot in the next pop up
close the window and the lot will be on your cursor.

Time for the heavy lifting...
Get the SC4 DataNode
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/27675-sc4datanode/

put all your plugins back as normal.
delete the CSX industrial lots folder located in
C:\Users\John\Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\CSX\CSXLots\CSXIndustrials - 8080
the folder should contain 4 SC4Lot files
reinstall the CSX industrial mega lots

Fire up SC4 Data node, there will be an upper and lower window.
Click the "Rescan" button in the upper window and let it scan your game.
Click the "Scan File" button in the lower window and navigate to the CSX industrials folder and select the Gas Depot.
The lower window will split in half, you will probably have to drag the separator to the left to see the contents of the right window.
select the Gas Depot lot in the left window,
scroll down the right window and you will see every dependency used by this mod
you might have to drag the main divider up to see all the filter options in the lower window.
find the dependency that is not in the readme's dependency list.

The great thing about this program is that it loads everything in the same order the game does, and it allows you to see what is over-riding what. Used in conjunction with iLivesReader, you can look for the prop ID and see what file it is coming from.

I loaded the file up in the Lot editor. There are three buildings in a line where your problem is.
The one in the middle is gc_shedcorregated_rust_02. The outer ones (you can see part of it in your first pic) is gc_shedcorregated_smog_02. Both of these buildings are in the BSC megaprops - gascooker Vol01
My bet it the problem lies with the building in the center (_rust_02). If you load that file in DataNode, you can get some information about it. If the file is being over ridden or if it over rides another file, a message will appear in the right window.

Hope this helps. The DataNode is a very powerful tool. You might have to mess with it a bit to get what you need from it.

Thanks joshua43214 for the tip with the Data Node tool. I'll give it a try even if I solved my problem yesterday... :thumbsup:
I really appreciate all help I've got here... &apls